What gaming habit of yours has annoyed other players?

eayres33

Explorer
Interesting topic. I know that I used to annoy players when I played religious classes (cleric/druid/paladin), because I would often proselytize the players and NPCs. My current group has had less issue with that, as my druid had several interesting debates with a cleric in a Thule campaign about the value of thousands of lesser gods (forest/nature spirits) vs. a handful of powerful ones (the 12 or so standard deities).

I considered asking my group... but honestly, I'm afraid to hear the answer :blush:

This, I'm a devout follower of Helm, the watcher and the god of the wounded warrior and I bring it up all the time, like when I'm using his power to heal you or summon a magic weapon to save you. Of course my character also believes and has been kicked out of his church for believing Helm is also the god of the sex worker.
Oddly with my group its the constant referencing of a god saving you that has them the most upset.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This bugs me a little bit too, but not enough to ask players to stop.

Also, when I first started playing 5E, I found it really odd that players counted movement in 5' segments. They would move their mini from square to square counting 5', 10', 15'... etc. whereas I just count squares (30' of movement = 6 squares). I think my way is how it was taught in 3.5E, so I probably picked it up there.

When I started playing in 1e, miniatures were mostly used to indicate marching order and sometimes general placement in more complex combat. Never had battlemaps. But I also played a lot of Warhammer 40K miniature games as well as some historical miniature games and we used tape measures. So I like my measuring sticks. Why count out 6 squares if I can just lay down a 6" stick. At that point, you don't even need the grid.

Eis

Explorer
I pretty much kick ass and take names, sometimes people have a problem with that I guess

by the way, my phone wanted to autocorrect that to "take naps" which is way more appropriate... but not during games,usually

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
annoying trait -> I take nothing seriously. My own personality is to find the joke in everything. That carries over and can be annoying. Sometimes I even annoy myself!

Plenty things annoy other characters. Like in any good movie, the party members disagree on a lot of things and bicker all the time. However, we're a strong team and ultimately we will always help each other. For us as players, this dynamic leads to lots of laughter, and little actual annoyance.

In short: Nothing has really annoyed other players, but other characters are in a constant state of annoyance with mine. :cool:

pogre

Legend
When I started playing in 1e, miniatures were mostly used to indicate marching order and sometimes general placement in more complex combat. Never had battlemaps. But I also played a lot of Warhammer 40K miniature games as well as some historical miniature games and we used tape measures. So I like my measuring sticks. Why count out 6 squares if I can just lay down a 6" stick. At that point, you don't even need the grid.

That's how we have always played, except we use rulers and measuring tapes.

neobolts

Explorer
Going off-topic. When I only see people once a week, I struggle to turn off general socialization and focus in on the game. Right now, we eat dinner before we start and it is much better. I need a chance to say "Didya see the Captain Marvel trailer?", "LEADER OF NATION sure was as UNIQUE as ever this week.*", and "Did you hear about the next Overwatch patch?"

*modified to be apolitical for the sake of civility.

Eis

Explorer
annoying trait -> I take nothing seriously. My own personality is to find the joke in everything. That carries over and can be annoying. Sometimes I even annoy myself!

I actually have a problem with this too.....all joking aside,heh.....if we are playing an ultra serious game these silly jokes and puns still want to escape my mouth....been that way all my life

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a tendency to make “sub-optimal” or oddball PCs.

I’ve been playing 30+ years- the stereotypical options don’t entertain me like they used to, so I look for interesting wrinkles. This leads to builds that aren’t immediately graspable with just a cursory glance or once-over. Thing is, while they may lack in obvious punch, my characters’ utility still shows up...sometimes with a resultant “OOOooohhhhhh” when the build’s usefulness gets revealed.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
Any time anyone in our group reads out a spell description and says, "Saving throw: none", me and one of the guys call out, "My father was a nun!"

Remove ads