Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A couple of quick hits from what to me is page 6...
This is a statement I would associate with 4e non-combat resolution, and also with some aspects of 4e combat (the p 42 driven ones).

For me, the difference with 5e non-combat resolution is that it has no framework to it that establishes finality of resolution ...
This, depending on the particular table, can be either a feature or a bug.

It's a feature if the DM is savvy enough to be able to roll with whatever resolution suits the at-the-time situation while still being consistent with what's gone before. In this case a framework is limiting, in that once a framework is in place it's inevitable things will end up trying to conform to that framework even when they shouldn't.

It's a bug if the DM is less savvy and needs a rules framework to fall back on ; or worse, is in a situation of being - for lack of a better term - bullied by the players into always ruling in their favour (I've seen this - not pretty at all).

and so unless something is done at the table to compensate for this the upshot of non-combat action resolution is always ultimately a matter of GM decision-making. (Classic Traveller has the same problem in a few areas, especially on-world exploration. But I'm more forgiving of a game that was designed 40 years ago.)
GM decision-making can be a perfectly fine method of resolution. All it needs to work well is a good GM...which, it seems, not everyone has access to.

DM Dave1 said:
Ask your LFGS if they would order a book for you if it is not in stock. I’ve done this with a few different stores and it is always greeted with an eager “of course we can do that for you!” I’m willing to wait in order to help them out in a small way. I’ve got plenty of stuff that I haven’t fully read to fill up my time while I anticipate their call that my order is in. :)
One caveat here: be advised that if you're outside the USA fulfillment of such orders can sometimes take ages, depending what you're having the FLGS order in for you. Non-USA distributors seem to be a very mixed bag at best in terms of efficiency, at least here in Canada.

KenNYC said:
What is the assassin now? If you hit via attack X do Y dice of damage. The End. Basically, the entire class has been thrown out replaced by "how can I roll more dice? I know, I will choose assassin"

And that seems the way it is for so many of the classes. "what can get me better action economy" "this class crits on an 18" and so on. That is what this guy has come up with as he pretends he hasn't.
Agreed, except I'm not so sure all the blame goes to Mearls for this; he's merely following the design paradigms laid out in 3e and 4e, possibly in an attempt to keep fans of those editions in the fold, as it were.

Lanefan

@Jester David
@DM Howard

There was more 3rd party stuff for 3E. A glut of it, in fact.

There is quality material out for 5E, but it has come out much slower.
Kinda...
Here's the thing. It's very much an apples to oranges situation.

There was a tonne of 3PP in the 3e glut, which ran from 2001 to 2003 for the d20 bust. It was a huge surge of material, but it only lasted for 2 to 2 1/2 years. And a lot of that was likely in the initial year or so while there wasn't a lot of official stuff and people didn't realise they should be checking quality. Meanwhile, the economy was high and Magic was doing *very* well, so game stores were flush with cashing and buying whatever d20 products they could. But, very quickly, people realised there was a lot of terrible books out there and stopped buying.
So there was a lot of d20 products, but not as many actually being purchased by fans. That's why so many stores went under in 2003-4.

There were also the side games. At the time every small publisher would quickly use a variant of the d20 system for their product. But most of those weren't true "3PP", as they weren't expansions. They were just separate games that used a variation of the rules.

Meanwhile, RPGNow only launched in 2001. And it was unknown for much of the d20 boom. And DriveThruRPG didn't launch until 2004, after the d20 bust. The option for digital products and PDFs wasn't really as much of an option. People had to physically publish or not at all.

So when you compare the state of 3PP now to the state of 3PP then, you're not only looking at longer period of time, but also PDF options that didn't exist prior. And that's before you consider the rise of e-commerce and more people shopping on Amazon or buying directly from the publisher.

To say nothing of Kickstarter. When you check in Kickstarter, there's over 200-250 5e D&D book projects,
https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?term=5e&category_id=12&sort=magic&seed=2562739&page=1
And that's before you go onto DriveThruRPG or DMsGuild.

I'd argue there's almost more 3rd Party Products out there than during the d20 boom. They're just less visible as they're not in stores. And, I would argue, the high selling 3PP are probably moving a lot more copies than the early 3e ones.

The big difference is largely the side games. There are fewer small games opting to use the d20 rules. Most opt to just go with a more rules lite system that better fits the desired tone of the game. That's a big difference. But those were never really compatible.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"DM-empowering and options-light" I disagree with this statement. Not having a specific rule for everything under the sun is rules light, not options light. An empowered DM and rules that allow for creative engagement means more options to me, not less.
Sure, whatever term you want to use for it is fine. Point is, not having a rule for everything under the sun is empowering to the DM, and the part of 5e I like.

An emphasis on who the character is, as opposed to the minutia of combat mechanics, means you can create highly fun and original characters instead of optimal, suboptimal, or broken build variants.
But having lots of decision points in the character building process does not preclude the possibility of emphasizing who the character is. I want the emphasis to be on who the character is. But I want my choices about who the character is to be reflected in the mechanics. I don’t just want to describe my character doing different things, I want actual different options of things for my character to do.

DM Howard

Explorer
I'd argue there's almost more 3rd Party Products out there than during the d20 boom. They're just less visible as they're not in stores.

I agree with everything in your post, but what I've put in quotes I see as a bug not a feature.

As an aside: I've enjoyed everything I've read of yours in terms of 3PP content.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
3e has a lot of issues, and yes, option bloat is one of them. That doesn’t mean options are an inherently bad thing, it just means 3e managed its options poorly.

This is getting too abstract to talk about meaningfully. What kind of choice are you picturing that is created by the character having several options to choose from for their action, causes a conflict between tactical advantage and character motivation, and requires the player to make the decision based on information the character doesn’t have? Cause I can’t think of any actual play scenario like that.
Try this: we both have characters in an established adventuring party. Within the party there's a long history of your character and mine being close friends (we're both front-line warriors), meanwhile neither of us have any time for wizard character C and would prefer he not be in the group. So, now the party's in a rolling open-field battle with a bunch of tougher-than-expected foes and aren't doing very well. Character C in particular is overwhelmed, while you look to be holding your own and I've just freed myself up to join another fight.

Tactically-best choice: I go and bail out character C whose spells, if free to cast them, could quickly turn the tide.
In-character choice: I come and help free you up, confident that between us we can mop this up, and let character C sink or swim on his own. We can always find another wizard.

Now, to add in the missing-info aspect: there's also a rogue character D in the party, a decent sort. In this battle D is also getting snowed under, only from my position on the field my character can't see this due to some obstacle or other. I-as-player, however, can look at the minis on the grid and see that D is toast unless someone bails him out.

So now we have three options:

Tactically-best choice: I go and bail out character C.
In-character choice: I come and help free you up and let character C sink or swim on his own.
Metagame-driven choice: I go and bail out character D.

I don’t really care how 0e did it.
Fair enough, but kind of self-defeating when discussing comparables between all 5 (actually 6 if 0e counts) editions.

Subclass is another decision point in the character building process, which is exactly what I wish 5e had more of. If you get to make the decision after character creation, so much the better. That’s my issue with character creation in 5e - not enough decision points, and most of the ones you do have are made at character creation. 3e was the other side of the coin, where there were plenty of decision points, but the options were so interreliant and complex that you had to make them all at character creation or risk making a useless character. 4e hit the sweet spot where you had lots of decision points, and you weren’t punished for making those decisions as you went, picking your new power from a few options when you level up.
Hmmm...we'll have a hard time finding common ground on this one, methinks. :)

Personally, I want level-up to be as simple and straightforward as possible - roll h.p., gain whatever locked-in abilities the new level gives me, and carry on. I also prefer initial char-gen to be as simple as possible, simple enough that it can be done on the fly during a session by someone who's just lost a character and has an upcoming opportunity to bring in a replacement. If it takes longer than half an hour, including spell selection and mundane equipment loading, that's too long.

Not that it matters, but I started playing with 3.5, didn’t really like it, got into the game in earnest in 4e.
This is helpful in understanding your views - thanks.

And actually it does matter, in that that experience gives you a quite different perspective than that of someone who, say, only played 1e and-or 2e then got out and only just now came back. To that person 5e would be arguably a more radical departure from what they're used to than it would for you, who is used to 4e and a bit of 3e.

Lanefan said:
Problem is, they also needed to player-proof the system so that things like optimization forums and ridiculous game-breaking "builds" could become relics of the past.
Why?
Because they're bad for the game, perhaps?

Lanefan

Satyrn

First Post
But having lots of decision points in the character building process does not preclude the possibility of emphasizing who the character is. I want the emphasis to be on who the character is. But I want my choices about who the character is to be reflected in the mechanics. I don’t just want to describe my character doing different things, I want actual different options of things for my character to do.
The big trick is giving you those options while letting me express my character without needing those options.

Like, since the Battlemaster can spend Superiority Dice to disarm and shove, does this mean the Champion is prohibited? I'd hope not, but it can be tough to make it work for both players.

Eric V

Hero
Sure, whatever term you want to use for it is fine. Point is, not having a rule for everything under the sun is empowering to the DM, and the part of 5e I like.

Have you checked out 13th Age?

Lots of options in character creation and such, but pretty rules-light. Might be right up your alley.

It also accomplishes what Mearls says was the goal for 5e (focus much more on narrative and identity, rather than specific, mechanical advantages; who you are is more important than what you do, to the point that your who determines your what; a community that focuses on socializing and story telling.) way better than 5e does..."despite" that it's written by authors of 3e and 4e! :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I like this. I think Mearls is thinking more in favor of how can D&D be better for the DM with 5e than the more Player facing 3e and 4e because both 3e and 4e do provide a lot more mechanical emphasis and options for Players, which probably did make those games more difficult to DM for.

At least on the surface it seems that way. But Mearls is making a lot of personal biases creep in and putting his own beliefs into what D&D is supposed to be, and its definitely in favor of making the game appear to be more narrative focused by how the game presents information, the game's mechanisms, and the whole paradigm of De_emphasizing "Rules" in favor of "Rulings" for different DMs to manage the game as they want.

As designer, it's kind of his job to work with his beliefs of what D&D is supposed to be.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
(I also don't really get how "building narrative around a character" fits with the seemingly dominant role of APs in 5e play, but that's a different story.)

That's the dominant mode of publishing, I wouldn't assume it's the dominant mode of play.

Remove ads

Remove ads