Need a system recommendation

Exactly what it says on the tin. I need a system to run a modern fantasy game in (as in, our modern world with guns etc. but as a fantasy world that continued to technologically advance, which means there's magic and demihuman races etc.) that should fit those criteria:

Not too rules-heavy
Not being FATE
Run without a battlemat and overly tactical combat
Be able to include (or have them already) guns as well as magic
Be able to support investigative scenarios as well as combat-heavy ones.

Now...Savage Worlds is a contender, but I am not sure it could hold up for longer campaigns...

Nagol

Unimportant
There a re a fair number. My favourite go-to is the Hero System when I don't have a specific engine.

Barring that, there's Shadowrun, Witchcraft (part of the Uni-system like All Flesh Must be Eaten and Conspiracy-X), Supernatural or Buffy (both part of the Cortex system), d20 Modern, Mage the [Ascension|Awakening], Delta Green or any of the other modern Cthulhu systems, Unknown Armies, Dark Conspiracy, Chill, ...

Shadowrun is too rules-heavy for my purposes.
I am looking for a more generic system that can span both modern and fantasy. And nope, GURPS is too clunky ;)

AndromedaRPG

Explorer
You may want to consider Genesys as well; it is by Fantasy Flight Games. It is a narrative engine for running, does not require a grid (in fact, not sure how you could use one); it does use special dice, but there is a dice app available.

mcmillan

Adventurer
Shadowrun is too rules-heavy for my purposes.
I am looking for a more generic system that can span both modern and fantasy. And nope, GURPS is too clunky ;)

Shadowrun Anarchy might be worth checking out, it uses the Shadowrun setting with a different more narrative focused ruleset.

Also Gumshoe might work as a system, though you'd need to adapt some of the existing settings to get what you want

Yaztromo

Explorer
During last few years I have been using Advanced Fighting Fantasy by Arion Games, that is a light and quickstart d6 ruleset (typically absolute beginners need 10 minutes to understand the basic rules and create a character), but this covers only the fantasy part of your needs (there are rules for gunpowder, but nothing too modern).
If you need more modern (or even futuristic) weapons, you can find them in the sci-fi counterpart of AFF: Stellar Adventures, by the same publisher.
If you are interested, you can find a free Quickstart here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/108092/Advanced-Fighting-Fantasy-Quickstart

Bluenose

Adventurer
Something from the d100/BRP family would be my suggestion. Take Delta Green or one of Call of Cthulhu's supplements for play later than the default 1920s era, and add one of the fantasy versions for more magic. They certainly meet all five conditions. Although I have to say that I don't see why Savage Worlds wouldn't work if you have it, as while I don't really like it myself it's perfectly fine for longer campaigns.

Remove ads