D&D 5E How would you replace stat bumps in feats?

Quartz

Hero
Some feats contain a +1 stat bump. For instance Heavy Armour Mastery gives a +1 boost. How would you replace the +1 stat bumps those feats give. To continue the HAM example, would you allow "You no longer suffer Disadvange on Stealth checks while wearing heavy armour. If you are wearing magical armour, you reduce damage by 3 from magical weapons."? (Disadvantage may still be imposed by other factors.)

I'm thinking that "You do not suffer Disadvantage..." is a good start in general. E.g. Resilient: you do not suffer Disadvantage on Poison & Disease checks related to that stat.

Contrariwise, for Durable, how about, "When you are at 0 HP you make Death Saving Throws with Advantage and you do not suffer two failures from critical hits."?

How about other feats?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think each of those suggestions take the feats in a markedly different direction - sometimes in ways that would have significant consequences.

No longer suffer disadvantage on Stealth from heavy armor? Do you *want* rogues running around in plate mail? Because that's how you get rogues running around in plate mail.

I haven't done a review of all of them, but my impression is a feat is intended to make a choice... more like itself. Heavy Armor Mastery gives you damage reduction - it makes armor... more armor-y. But you don't make armor more like armor by removing a basic characteristic of armor.

5ekyu

Hero
Some feats contain a +1 stat bump. For instance Heavy Armour Mastery gives a +1 boost. How would you replace the +1 stat bumps those feats give. To continue the HAM example, would you allow "You no longer suffer Disadvange on Stealth checks while wearing heavy armour. If you are wearing magical armour, you reduce damage by 3 from magical weapons."? (Disadvantage may still be imposed by other factors.)

I'm thinking that "You do not suffer Disadvantage..." is a good start in general. E.g. Resilient: you do not suffer Disadvantage on Poison & Disease checks related to that stat.

Contrariwise, for Durable, how about, "When you are at 0 HP you make Death Saving Throws with Advantage and you do not suffer two failures from critical hits."?

How about other feats?
"Some feats contain a +1 stat bump. For instance Heavy Armour Mastery gives a +1 boost. How would you replace the +1 stat bumps those feats give."

HOW needs to know WHY.

I would not start a significant effort chsnging quite a few elements and specifically removing totally a thing (half feats) from the game without a good reason to do so. This is not something one does on a whim, a lark, as a flight of fancy, but instead as a specific targetted effort to achieve a purpose.

That purpose would define the direction the "how" takes. Heck, that purpose might even point to another better solution all told than this.

So short version is - i wouldnt without knowing why and what it was intended to achieve.

Imx in play starting from how for a change too often seems to be tied to a sort of misdirection or con where the objective is hidden behind other stuff - until approval is given. Especially if that "solution" changes the focus of a thing.

As a general rule, I would avoid conditions that negate Disadvantage, because Disadvantage is extremely rare to begin with. The ability to negate Disadvantage is something that might come up only once during an entire campaign.

I'm also not a huge fan of the multi-faceted feats that 5E presents, because they are difficult to design and balance. Most feats are either too complicated, or just plain bad. I would rather convert the existing multi-feats into half-feats that include a stat increase, rather than converting all half-feats int multi-feats.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm also not a huge fan of the multi-faceted feats that 5E presents, because they are difficult to design and balance. Most feats are either too complicated, or just plain bad. I would rather convert the existing multi-feats into half-feats that include a stat increase, rather than converting all half-feats int multi-feats.

Same.

This also has the benefit of re-strengthening the differentiation of odd attributes

Remove ads