Do you show players monster pictures?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well I’m surprised at how many say they do! I didn’t until recently, when I got a request for a picture of something from a player. Now I take pictures of things and have them on my iPad ready to show during the session. I think I’ll try and do both a verbal and a picture.

I was disappointed by the request, actually, and took it as a note to improve my monster/NPC descriptions. The players seem happy to see pictures though.

Oofta

Legend
Well I’m surprised at how many say they do! I didn’t until recently, when I got a request for a picture of something from a player. Now I take pictures of things and have them on my iPad ready to show during the session. I think I’ll try and do both a verbal and a picture.

I was disappointed by the request, actually, and took it as a note to improve my monster/NPC descriptions. The players seem happy to see pictures though.

I wouldn't be disappointed. Some people are just more visually focused than others. Even the best description in the world wouldn't be as satisfying as a picture.

It's one of the reasons I also frequently try to include pictures of NPCs, towns and regions if I can. It just works better for some people.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As even my in-person games are run on Roll20, it seems a waste not to take advantage of that visual medium, so I frequently show pictures. At the very least you'll see a monster token, but sometimes I'll prepare a handout with the full image.

Sometimes in my search for images to make tokens or handouts, I'll come across a particularly spectacular image such as this one:

[sblock]
Eldrad_and_Xorn.png
Art on this blog.

[/sblock]

...and now the xorn engineer on the PCs' captured mind flayer ship is telling everyone who will listen about his "super-hot earth genasi girlfriend named Gemma Roxov who lives on another plane and is a professional model." He shows them the above picture as proof. They're all pretty sure he's lying. I guess we'll see at some point in the future.

Mercule

Adventurer
Sometimes. If the monster is hard to describe, is something that has changed significantly from a prior edition, or the picture will freak someone out (hello arachnophobes). Everyone has seen pictures of goblins and orcs, so we don't worry about it. Showing the Glabrezu to the new player, though.... that's fun.

As even my in-person games are run on Roll20, it seems a waste not to take advantage of that visual medium, so I frequently show pictures. At the very least you'll see a monster token, but sometimes I'll prepare a handout with the full image.

Sometimes in my search for images to make tokens or handouts, I'll come across a particularly spectacular image such as this one:

[sblock]
View attachment 101767
Art on this blog.

[/sblock]

...and now the xorn engineer on the PCs' captured mind flayer ship is telling everyone who will listen about his "super-hot earth genasi girlfriend named Gemma Roxov who lives on another plane and is a professional model." He shows them the above picture as proof. They're all pretty sure he's lying. I guess we'll see at some point in the future.

When Doctor Who and D&D meet in an... unexpected way.

(For those not in the know, the female in that picture is Eldrad, the foe of the 1974 Doctor Who serial The Hand of Fear.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases