Ravenloft modules outside Ravenloft

rounser

First Post
Here's another question for the board Ravenlofters:

What old Ravenloft modules would fit into a normal D&D, non-gothic themed campaign (e.g. generic FR) especially well?

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
You should check out "Night of the (Walking/Living/___?) Dead." I found it to be an excellent module, full of opportunity for creepiness and with enough combat to please the average fantasy gamer. It would be a simple matter to change any references to the Grand Conjunction, thereby making the module pretty much 100% generic. Obviously, you'll have to ignore calls for Horror checks and whatnot, but I'm sure you expected that.

If you have doubts about the module, read the reviews on the Kargatane website. I think you can link to it through the Wizards site as the official Ravenloft website.

rounser

First Post
You should check out "Night of the (Walking/Living/___?) Dead." I found it to be an excellent module, full of opportunity for creepiness and with enough combat to please the average fantasy gamer.

Cheers, Schmoe. This sounds like a zombie B-movie "they just keep coming" kill-a-thon - is it? Then again, I'd suppose Ravenloft to be a bit more subtle than that.

Last edited:

dvvega

Explorer
Actually, like a lot of different sources, Ravenloft modules can be redone in other lands.

I used a lot of them in an old Greyhawk campaign, even the original Ravenloft (of course I changed the Strahd name and Castle Ravenloft).

I also found the lycanthrope module (Feast of Goblyns) good to run ... you just have to set it up right. Replace the Goblyns with some weird-ass cannibalistic super orcs or something ... other than that ... it's all good. No borders get closed during the module so it's transparent.

The ones that are more difficult are the ones featuring Azalin (the two that set off the Grand Conjunction but it doesn't work properly).

rounser

First Post
I used a lot of them in an old Greyhawk campaign, even the original Ravenloft (of course I changed the Strahd name and Castle Ravenloft).

I've heard this called the best AD&D module ever, by multiple people. I've never seen it. Was re-released for 2E as House of Strahd, I gather. What is it about it that makes it such a classic?

I also found the lycanthrope module (Feast of Goblyns) good to run ... you just have to set it up right. Replace the Goblyns with some weird-ass cannibalistic super orcs or something ... other than that ... it's all good. No borders get closed during the module so it's transparent.

I have vague memories of this one. Had gypsies involved, didn't it? Tanarukk would make for superb goblyn-stand ins in 3E.

I just thought of an idea for how to use another Ravenloft adventure. I don't know if you're aware of the module Horror's Harvest in Dungeon 38, but it's basically Invasion of the Body Snatchers done D&D. Suppose the PC's home town starts off normal, and they go away for a while. Perhaps they see a falling star one night. Then they come back a few days later, and find all the people they cared about have succumbed to the mind control, and the town has gone crazy. Perhaps they even have to fight their own relatives, forced to use subdual damage. Welcome home, guys. :D

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
rounser said:

Cheers, Schmoe. This sounds like a zombie B-movie "they just keep coming" kill-a-thon - is it? Then again, I'd suppose Ravenloft to be a bit more subtle than that.

Actually, no, it's not. It's a murder mystery/creepfest set against the backdrop of an impending storm of supernatural origin. It features building tension that culminates in a truly frightening finale. The climax is where the name of the module comes from, but the entire adventure is certainly not like that.

All in all, I found it to be a very nice mix of mystery/horror/adventure.

Remove ads