Drinking Problem

pogre

Legend
One of my favorite groups drank heavily. They were a bunch of folks from a local restaurant/bar (Blueberry Hill in St. Louis) and the game started after the bar closed at 2 AM every Tuesday. The players were all wait staff, barkeeps, and cooks. They brought lots of beer and food from the kitchen. They were loud and fun and we had some epic campaigns. We did have a couple of physical fights and I had to remove one of the rowdier guys, but it was great fun overall. We typically played until dawn and went out and got breakfast together. I did not do well in those Wednesday morning classes in post-grad, but it was worth it. ;)

My other experiences with alcohol at the table have been mixed. A few beers or a scotch or two usually is fine. However, I planned an epic all day campaign for a friend who was getting married. I rented a hotel suite and made elaborate preparations. The problem was all present were so hung over from the bachelor's party the evening before it was pretty much a disaster.

No drinkers in my current group, that includes my underage sons, but moderate drinkers would be welcome at my table.

We occasionally drink lightly, a couple beers, cider, or some wine. Nothing stronger until after the session and "the adventurers head to the tavern", if that. We also eat dinner together, so it's about a drink every couple of hours or so.

MarkB

Legend
I mostly play at a gaming club, so no alcohol at the table.

In home games there are a couple of players who'll get through a beer or two, but no more than that.

However, there was the one year when we decided to welcome in the new year by playing our D&D campaign on New Year's Eve. We knew the DM had over-indulged when, during the climactic battle that involved two dragons and multiple minions, he decided to count down one dragon's hit points as it took damage, but on the other one count up the amount of damage it was taking from zero.

The next day he had no memory of the entire encounter, and his first New Year's resolution was never to drink Sambuca again.

S'mon

Legend
Volume - 2 pints in a 3-5 hour session is my standard. I might occasionally have a third pint late on in a long session (before I turned 40 I used to regularly have 3 pints). Occasionally with a short session I might start with cola then 1 pint of cider or beer. I aim to hit the sweet spot in terms of GMing competence - a little can help, a lot hurts.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We drink but not excessively. Usually between 1-3 beers/ciders/glasses of home-brewed mead depending on tastes. It's when the whiskey comes out that we have to really start being careful, but that's rare. I don't think I've really been drunk playing D&D since my grad school days 20+ years ago.

My current games are on Roll20, so I don't have to deal with smokers, fortunately. Usually for a game, I'll have a beer. We usually break after the first two hours, so I'll finish the beer early and switch to water afterward. The beer is more because I enjoy a lot of craft beers rather than a desire to get a buzz on during a game.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I always have a single drink with my longer-hour gaming sessions - a single mild alcoholic beverage. It's a tradition that dates back quite a while because I can't stand lying to my friends, and have a hard time outright saying no, even if they do something I consider rude. It started when a non-gaming friend called me during a gaming session. Another player had decided to have a couple of mild drinks during the game - never to the point of stupidity, mind you.

So, when non-gaming-friend on the phone asked me to give them a ride for some ridiculous unimportant task, knowing it was game time on game night, I gave a pleading look to my friend with the alcohol, and she accepted with a grin, trying her best to not laugh aloud, and I took a swig so as I could give an honest excuse "Sorry mate, I've had a drink and can't drive."

To this day I uphold the tradition by having a single flavored alcoholic beverage of some sort so non-gaming friends can't rudely interrupt game night with petty requests!

Remove ads