Drinking Problem

Jhaelen

First Post
Never in any of my games. Two of my regular players are smokers, though. So we have several short breaks during sessions while they go outside to smoke. It's rarely an issue since the breaks tend to coincide with me preparing a battlemap, someone looking up rules or something like that.

I used to participate in an RPG group where everyone was drinking beer. It was decidedly more relaxed and the adventures tended to be railroads, so it kind of worked, too.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I used to participate in an RPG group where everyone was drinking beer. It was decidedly more relaxed and the adventures tended to be railroads, so it kind of worked, too.

That's intriguing. A more structured game worked better with drink. Any theories on why that might be?

My go-to cocktail scotch is McClelland’s. It’s not so expensive that you feel bad mixing it in with stuff, but still tastes good.

A super-peaty scotch could work with this drink, but for those scotches, I tend to stick to the classics, like the Rusty Nail.

This sounds intriguing! Thanks. What Scotch would you recommend?

I've got a bottle of Lagavulin 8 year unopened at home, but I was kinda saving that for Election Day evening, when I'm either going to celebrate or drink myself into a coma that hopefully lasts 2 years.

Besides, Lagavulin is probably too peaty to mix. Or is that the idea with this drink?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
No smoking or tobacco products of any kind in our house, but you’re free to take a smoke break at any time as long as you don’t leave butts on our property.

Drinking is allowed, so long as you’re generally still more playing the RPG than doing shots. Hell, we usually stock beer in the fridge and have a liquor cart that is a free-fire zone- everyone knows where we keep the hooch. And bringing your own is welcome, ESPECIALLY if you’re sharing. But do something stupid in game, and it doesn’t matter if you’re drunk: it stands. No drunk mulligans.*

We also expect players to be generally ready for their turn.

* Hmmm...The Drunk Mulligans would be a fun band name.

I've told my players that their PC are just as drunk and stupid as they are.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Nobody at our group really "drinks" other than, at most, me and one other guy. The current token-female does drink, but only for occasions. But we play at my place and so I'm pretty much the only one who MIGHT have a single beer or drink. This happens maybe once every couple of months. There are no smokers (I know, right?) in my group and typically I've never really had smokers in my games. When I did have a smoker in the group (as in one), he only had a smoke once every two hours or so and usually only for a few 'puffs' (like, 1 minute length, tops).

Drinking...well, one of my "old groups" we did drink sometimes. But it was never to excess. It was just one of those things that some people took too, depending on the character they were playing. If we all felt like drinking a bit more...we'd play a game of "Drinkin' D&D" (we had a simple sheet of rules for it). A game of DD&D consisted of BECMI as a base, with rules for when you were allowed, or had to, "take a shot/drink". Monsters getting a natural 20...all Players Drink. PC gets a natural 20...DM takes a Drink. Someone forgets an NPC name...drink. Someone rolls a natural 1...drink. And, at any time, a Player could take a "swig from the keg of healing" to get 1d4hp back...e.g., the Player takes a drink. Downing at least a half-beer gave you something like d6 and a full, fresh opened, beer-chug got you more (d8? 2d6? can't remember...go figure! ;) ).

But, yeah, not a problem in my games. Never been a problem.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I will say that back in my late 20s, I used to have a rule I called the Bourbon Test. If I couldn’t run an RPG after a hearty helping of bourbon, it was too complicated for me to bother with.

These days, oh how the mighty have fallen…I imagine my liver is thankful, though.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
EN5ider 38 published D&D-related drinking games with cocktail recipes:

Drinking Dragons: The World's Greatest Fantasy Drinking Game, EN5ider 38, http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...s-The-World-s-Greatest-Fantasy-Drinking-Game!

Judging from the Patreon comments, it wasn't well received. I appreciated En5ider mixing it up, but I guess most supporters just want setting material and class options. Judging from many of the comments in this thread, it might be better received by many of the folks here.

Dioltach

Legend
One of my groups has wine, but seeing as nearly all of us have to drive it rarely goes beyond one or two glasses. A far cry from our student days (my, was that already 20 years ago?) when we all lived within staggering distance from each other.

My other group drinks whatever is going, but there's always one person driving (they take turns). So mostly it's wine, sometimes with a few whiskeys later on if I've got a nice single malt I want to share. We'll also make cocktails or sangria if the weather's hot, and lately the other guys have been drinking microbrewery IPAs. Still, nothing excessive. Sometimes if the wife is away they'll stay over at my place and we might indulge a little more.

Remove ads