What are you reading, obsessive October 2018 edition

Just finished reading Sir Terry’s I Shall Wear Midnight. A beautiful read, with a bit more of the melancholy in it. Still funny and sharp as can be, though, don’t get me wrong.

Now I’m re-reading Robert Asprin’s Another Fine Myth. Longtime favorite, but I haven’t read it in ages.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just finished reading Sir Terry’s I Shall Wear Midnight. A beautiful read, with a bit more of the melancholy in it. Still funny and sharp as can be, though, don’t get me wrong.

Now I’m re-reading Robert Asprin’s Another Fine Myth. Longtime favorite, but I haven’t read it in ages.

I just finished Wintersmith, so I shall Wear Midnight is up next. It's sitting about three feat from me right now.

Asprin's Myth series I liked when they were coming out, but after many rereads they have lost their sheen. The jokes and twists are too well known to still amuse. Still, I have reread them several times.

In addition to Sir Terry, I'm still on my LMB Vorkosigan Saga kick. I finished Komarr and am more than halfway through A Civil Campaign. I've notice that it often feels like there are a number of book plus later written sequels that make up the series. Barrayar written five years and 11 books after Shards of Honor, but definitely a sequel. Mirror Dance 8 books later than Brother in Arms. Well, Komarr and A Civil Campaign were at least back-to-back.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've just started The Complete Chronicles of Conan (Centenary Edition).

I was reading some discussion a few weeks ago about a Conan/Barbarian mini that ran into legal trouble & it hit me: Other than a single pocket sized edition compilation from Marvel Comics when I was about 12, I've never read any of the actual Conan stories!
So a quick Amazon search & about a week later I've set about remedying that.

At 925 pages I expect this will serve as my answer come Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb.....
I'll probably read one or two stories, read something else, read another one or two, & so on. Otherwise I'll suffer burnout if I try & plow straight through with nothing else.

Jhaelen

First Post
After proofreading a friend's new novel that is soon to be published, I started reading 'A Night Without Stars' by Peter F. Hamilton. It's the sequel to 'The Abyss Beyond Dreams'. I hope it doesn't drag on as much as the first novel did. I mainly picked it up now because it's better to read it while I still remember a few bits about the story.

Blue

[MENTION=508]Richards[/MENTION], you mentioned you were reading Rudy Rucker. Is that the same author who was proto-cyberpunk, before cyberpunk was a thing? I think I read Wetware and a few others but it's been literally decades.

Blue

So I just found out that a new Honor Harrington book - supposedly the last starring her - is out. *sigh* My to-read pile looms at me, but that series is my guilty pleasure.

Richards

Legend
[MENTION=508]Richards[/MENTION], you mentioned you were reading Rudy Rucker. Is that the same author who was proto-cyberpunk, before cyberpunk was a thing? I think I read Wetware and a few others but it's been literally decades.

That would be the one, yes. He's a mathematician as well as an author (fiction and nonfiction), and so far it shows - several of the short stories have involved mathematical concepts, and some have even included diagrams to demonstrate the concepts involved.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
I don't usually include comic books in these threads, but last week Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #310 was in my weekly stash and I thought it was worth mentioning. It's a standalone story - the last issue of the current writer and artist, Chip Zdarsky, as a matter of fact - and it's awesome. If you're a Spider-Man fan (or ever were), this is definitely a good issue to pick up. I put it on the same level, story-wise and emotionally, as Roger Stern's "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" from way back in Amazing Spider-Man issue #248. (If that means anything to you, you'll recognize it as a high recommendation.)

Johnathan

Remove ads