What are you reading, obsessive October 2018 edition

Finished up Another Fine Myth. It’s impossible for me to be objective about it. It’s a light fluff read, but I first picked it up before or at the same time as the D&D Red Box, so it’s tied to some of my earliest fantasy gaming memories.

Now it’s onto something considerably more substantial, with Nnedi Okorafor’s Who Fears Death.

Richards

Legend
I'm now halfway through Stephen Baxter's Raft, the story of the descendants of a ruined starship that came from our universe to another with a different set of physics. The Raft is all that remains of the original ship: a stable platform upon which a city has been built. They're inside a nebula, mining star kernels for metal. The whole setup is very reminiscent of Larry Niven's The Smoke Ring and The Integral Trees; there's even a multi-trunked natural tree that grows in the nebula and is harvested as a means of propulsion by the humans. (A bunch of these tethered wheel-shaped trees keep the Raft in place instead of falling into the black hole at the center of the nebula.) In any case, it's been a good read thus far, with an interesting protagonist (a "mine rat" who stows away aboard one of the wheel-trees and ends up on the Raft, where be eventually is trained as a scientist) and an intriguing universe, where the force of gravity is about a billion times what it is in ours. (Humans even have a gravitational field around the centers of their mass.)

Johnathan

delericho

Legend
Having just finished up this month's Pathfinder, I've just started on "Midnight's Children", by Salman Rushdie. Good stuff so far.

Though yesterday I managed to leave the book in the office when I left for home. Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth... :)

Oh, in my spare time I'm also gradually working through the "Dungeon Crawl Classics" RPG core rulebook. It's fine, but suffers a bit from the sad but inevitable realization that I will never play or run that game.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
About 3/4 of the way through Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, the Nth book in the Vorkosigan Saga.

What's next is challenging. I have a novella (novelette?) on the Vorkosigan Saga I've never read (Lois McMaster Bujold has often not written chronologically). Since I'm hot on that series, that has a lot of pull.

But I also just picked up the next (last?!) Honor Harrington book. It arrived yesterday, and gleams at me from my table. That series has been a guilty pleasure for years, until the whole Star Kingdom of Manticore turned Mary Sue. And I've been told that many of his more recent sins along those lines are much less prevalent in this book.

Oh, it's RIGHT THERE. How can I not read it?

Finished up Okorafor’s Who Fears Death. Woof, was that a powerful read. Hard at times, but really good.

Also finished Machen’s The Great God Pan. It was fine. Eerie, but with a drifting quality that seemed unfinished rather than ominous.

Now I’m starting Daniel Defoe’s History of the Plague in London, a 17th century account of the plague. Haven’t gotten beyond the introduction, which has mostly been spent insulting Defoe’s writing abilities.

Blue

Read the surprisingly short Flowers of Vashnoi novella that was the new entry into the Vorkosigan Saga. Ekaterin is a character I greatly enjoy, but this had a lot less laugh-out-loud and less misty-eyed times then usual.

I started readign the new Honor Harrington book. So far it's a bunch of disconnected scenes with different characters in each. A very few of which I recognize, some of which I dimly recognize so maybe if I read this right on the heels of the others, and others are completely new to me - but there's little clue if they are new characters or people we are supposed to know something about from the surrounding non-Harrington stories.

You know, I sigh when I'm deep in a series and the author is re-introducing things to make sure the book stands on it's own. but now, with none of that, it is not appealing. Reminds me that the last couple of Harrington books would have cut scenes for other characters who had been introduced elsewhere whom I had no empathy or understanding, describing the aftermath of things I didn't recognize.

I hope this gets more on point.

Nellisir

Hero
Read the Years Best Science Fiction (35), edited by Gardner Dozois. Bittersweet, because he died this year.

Read Kill the Farm Boy, by two people my GF was really excited about and I don't know from diddly. This is an awesome book if you like an unending stream of moderately amusing sexual puns. I'm...not going to bother keeping it.

Just started The Girl in the Tower, by Katherine Arden. Sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale. So far, so excellent.

And gave up on a History of the Plague in London. There’s a reason why the introduction spends so much time slagging Defoe’s writing!

Currently giving Barrowcliffe’s The Elfish Gene a try. I have some misgivings about it, but it was only $3 for the Kindle.

Blue

Anyone have any experience with the SF & Fantasy collection for Kindle Unlimited? My wife has it, but she devours urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels like there is no tomorrow, but I'm wondering how it is in the SF/Fantasy category for someone who already has a large library of books so would be looking at it for more new releases / lesser known authors.

Remove ads