D&D 5E How do I run a zombie horde?

Kevin Hoff

First Post
There is an interesting mechanic from older editions of D&D in which you could treat monsters as minions. Essentially, they retained all of their normal stats except for their hit points, which were reduced to 1. This can create the feeling of the adventurers cleaving through massive hordes of enemies and dealing a lot of damage. However, because they have only 1 hit point, you may need to increase the number of zombies in the encounter.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I don't want to slow down combat . . .
I have five 7th level players: vengeance paladin, lore bard, four elements monk, beastmaster ranger, arcane trickster thief.
Good idea. Sounds like things might already be starting to chug a bit...

There is an interesting mechanic from older editions of D&D in which you could treat monsters as minions. Essentially, they retained all of their normal stats except for their hit points, which were reduced to 1. This can create the feeling of the adventurers cleaving through massive hordes of enemies and dealing a lot of damage. However, because they have only 1 hit point, you may need to increase the number of zombies in the encounter.
+1 You might reduce the zombies from being NPCs a step further, and turn each one into a miss-consequence. As in: on a hit, you destroy the zombie. On a miss, a zombie gets to attack you. The zombies don't get turns, just these reactions. Increase the number of reactions as the horde, IF the horde surrounds the PCs. And keep the Zombie Count in plain view - lest the PCs lose hope.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I did almost this exact thing.

First, zombies had no hitpoints, but instead saved against damage for every hit. Crits or radiant damage ignored this. Save was CON vs 5+damage dealt. This worked great, as there was no bookkeeping.

Second, just zombies doesn't work/gets boring. Throw on a few giant skeletons or other undead for some variation. Track these.

Third, do it in waves. This keeps immediate numbers trackable and actually serves to heighten tension a bit.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
One (of the only) thing(s) the World War Z movie did right was the way it treated zombie hordes not as swarms of individual monsters but as forces of nature. There's the iconic scene of zombies swarming through the city of Jerusalem like a tidal wave.

Not sure if what you're doing exactly qualifies, but I would imagine beyond a certain size a zombie horde ceases to be a combat challenge and becomes instead an extreme environmental hazard.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
One (of the only) thing(s) the World War Z movie did right was the way it treated zombie hordes not as swarms of individual monsters but as forces of nature. There's the iconic scene of zombies swarming through the city of Jerusalem like a tidal wave.

Not sure if what you're doing exactly qualifies, but I would imagine beyond a certain size a zombie horde ceases to be a combat challenge and becomes instead an extreme environmental hazard.

Thete's a strong design consideration to using combat encounters as obstacles vs complications. The former is the most common mindset for D&D, but zombie hordes make a great complication to another goal rather than an obstacle that must be defeated on its own.

IE, the players having to accomplish a goal while under attack from a zombie horde is a very different encounter from having to kill a zombie horde.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Ah. I see now why [MENTION=6801813]Valmarius[/MENTION] was so quick with helpful answers in this thread.

My ToA party is fighting Yahtzee zombie hordes spilling out of a misty gate.

Roll20-2.jpg

Remove ads