Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Kaodi

Hero
I think I must have missed part two because I do not remember Grace dying or seeing the TARDIS in the hour and a half I watched. Which I suppose is fine, I have never really watched much Doctor Who. Watched first half a season of Eccleston, a couple of Tennant and Smith here and there, the first episode of Capaldi and now the first episode of Whittaker.

Edit: And I think I watched a bit when I was a kid too. Like, I remember something about a tower and, I think, Daleks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I must have missed part two because I do not remember Grace dying or seeing the TARDIS in the hour and a half I watched.

There was only one part. There was no TARDIS. And it was only an hour long. Grace did die though. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Episode 2. Mixed feelings.

I wasn’t keen on defeatist Doctor; and the fact that they are only alive because of a 1 in a trillion trillion trillion trillion chance of a passing spaceship picking them up in space. Both undermine the Doctor to me.

Theme tune — awesomeness still. I love it. Less bombastic than recent years, and more mysterious.

What did you guys think of the new TARDIS interior? I loved it when the TARDIS gave her a biscuit as they dematerialised. Not super sold on the decor yet, but we’ll see.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I like the color scheme. Very pneumatic control panel. Does the symbol repeated on the walls mean something special?

..and the fact that they are only alive because of a 1 in a trillion trillion trillion trillion chance of a passing spaceship picking them up in space.
That was very Hitchhiker's Guide-like (I seem to recall that happening multiple times throughout them books).

Where did the spectacles come from?

Okay episode.
The hook of the race across the planet with a deadly obstacle course was fun. But because it was a single episode and so much was devoted to character moments, introductions, getting used to alien planets, and the history of the world (with more set-up for the lame badguy species) there was only a couple real death traps. That could have been a lot more interesting as an overland dungeon crawl with lots of little traps and puzzles to overcome.
And the "tie" ending was so-so, since I didn't really want :):):):):):):) selfish dude to "win". We never got a sense of what he'd do with the money.

The TARDIS. It's... okay. I like the columns around the console (very 8th Doctor) and the heavy metal walls are interesting. But the crystal console is so-so. Very clearly designed to "match" the sonic screwdriver, which wasn't created by the TARDIS and has no connection to the TARDIS.
I was a big fan of the technological late-Smith and Capaldi TARDIS. Where it looked like a spaceship and not like a set designer went to a thrift shop. Didn't get enough of a look at the console to see if it still had the "junkyard" look, but the crystal stuff seemed excessive.

I agree with Morrus that the new opening theme is neat, and a very mysterious and less operatic version. I dig.

Where did the spectacles come from?
Yeah, I wondered as well. Especially since "empty pockets" was just such a running joke of the previous episode.

Hussar

Legend
Whoa, love that opening. Haven't seen these yet. I'm waiting for them to be released in Japan with subtitles so I can watch them with my daughters together.

But, I have to say that this is VERY refreshing. For some bizarre reason, my Youtube home channel has been absolutely bombarded with youtube pundits kvetching about the fact that this is a woman doctor and how that's the destruction of western civilization.

Seeing you folks respond here really makes me hope for humanity again.

Just watched it, it was good. However maybe I'm just reacting this way due to the previous show runners but it seems like there was a throw away line that could be a set up for more "Timeless Child".

Remove ads