[Homebrew]5e Arcane Tradition - Dabbler

Doccit

Villager
Hey guys! I wanted to try my hand at creating a customizable generalist wizard that encourages playing creatively. How does this look?

Always Prepared - Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, you may prepare an additional number of wizard spells each day equal to your wizard level/5 (rounded up).

Quick Cantrip - Starting at 2nd level, your focus on the fundamentals allows you to cast certain cantrips quickly. You can take a Bonus Action on each of your turns in Combat. This action can be used only to cast one of the following cantrips that you know: Friends, Dancing Lights, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Minor Illusion, and Prestidigitation.

Rote Memorization - At the 6th level, you have achieved such mastery over certain Spells that you can cast them at will. Choose a one of the following spells which is your Spellbook: unseen servant, silent image, disguise self, detect magic, alarm, tenser's floating disc, feather fall, comprehend languages, jump. You can cast the spell you have chosen at its lowest level without expending a spell slot when you have it prepared. If you want to cast the spell at a higher level, you must expend a spell slot as normal.

By spending 8 hours in study, you can exchange the spell you chose for a different one which you could have chosen.

Magical Secrets - By 10th level, you have plundered magical knowledge from a wide spectrum of disciplines. Choose two spells from any class, including this one, and you learn them as you would a normal wizard spell, recording them in your spellbook. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the wizard table, or a cantrip. The chosen spells count as wizard spells for you.

Dabbler's Knack - By the 14th level, you have picked up a useful trick from another school of magic. Choose any arcane tradition feature available at the 2nd, 6th, or 10th level from an arcane tradition other than Dabbler, and you gain that feature. Insofar as the feature relies upon you having a different class feature which you don't have, it is unusable (for example, if you choose projected ward as your dabbler's knack, you do not have an arcane ward, so you cannot use it to absorb damage).).

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
The first thing that leaps out at me is that I don't like minor illusion on that list of bonus action cantrips. It feels like it gives this wizard something the illusionist should have.

Same for Rote Memorization and silent image.

That said, this looks interesting, and worth giving a shot in play, because everything looks decent enough balance-wise.

Last edited:

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Quick Cantrip - Starting at 2nd level, your focus on the fundamentals allows you to cast certain cantrips quickly. You can take a Bonus Action on each of your turns in Combat. This action can be used only to cast one of the following cantrips that you know: Friends, Dancing Lights, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Minor Illusion, and Prestidigitation.

Keep in mind, if you use your bonus action to cast a cantrip using this feature, you can't cast a spell with your normal action unless it is also a cantrip. This is not a problem, just wanted to make sure it is intended.

Hmmmmmmm

You've got dabbler and generalist mage effects but they don't mesh much, I don't see a lot of mechanical or thematic unity between the two concepts.

Also Always prepared should probably either be 1+1/5, moved to a higher level, or something because frankly it's kind of a dick move to drop it in at a low level where it doesn't actually do anything.

aco175

Legend
I'm stuck with the name. Dabbler sounds like it was going to be more of another class and less magic. Something with half casting, maybe a thief or fighter build. I'm not sure on a new name though. :)

I too think that the Always Prepared feature should be moved to 6th level. Maybe at 2nd level the person can take a cantrip from any class list.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
#1 Wizard's able to steal other class's spells is pretty strong.
#2 I don't like quick cantrip

Rote Memorization, always prepared and dabbler's knack are solid.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
IMO Generalist Wizard's don't really make sense in 5e as there is no restriction on any Wizard that the generalist could bypass by giving up some raw magic power.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases