WOTC is hiring a new Game Designer for D&D - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradine View Post
    as if the English language and the rules that govern it were codified in stone and handed to Grammar Moses for all of us to keep in perpetuity.
    Well, most of them were not.

The difference between "less" vs. "fewer," the Oxford comma, and the fact that it's not just wrong but actively immoral to use "of" after should, could, or would, however? Those absolutely were handed down by the divine, and people who violate those rules should face a new Holy Inquisition.

How many have switched between style guides? I regularly write in AP Style, but haven't used Chicago Manual for a couple decades. I know Oxford comma and citations are the two biggest differences. What else?

I personally use the Joey Styles Guide myself.

OH MY GAWWWWDDDD!!!
    Laugh Gradine, eayres33 laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by bedir than View Post
    How many have switched between style guides? I regularly write in AP Style, but haven't used Chicago Manual for a couple decades. I know Oxford comma and citations are the two biggest differences. What else?
    I have (or am currently pursuing) degrees in four different disciplines, each of which use a different style guide (Chicago, MLA, ASA, and APA, respectively). I also used to conduct format reviews of Master's theses across all disciplines, so I saw a lot of these styles and more (APSA, CSE, ACS...) it's a lot.

Most style guides are not as prescriptive as EoS mostly because they use that extra space to provide (a) clearer directions and (b) account for contextual differences (also (c) all of those citation rules, which have everything to do with properly attributing intellectual work and nothing to do with grammar or style). Most style guides provide basic generic grammar advice as well as discipline specific writing styles (from industry academic writing standards down to how to outline a paper; IIRC ASA says to never organize content that you need 4 distinct styles of headings (so only sub-sub-headings, at the deepest)). Few are unnecessarily prescriptive over long-debated grammar "rules", and the ones that do are uniformly awful (EoS, but APA kind of does this also; they recently reversed a recent change and now once again recommend adding two spaces after a period, which is an old typesetting habit that has more recently been proven to make writing more difficult to read for people with dyslexia).

Mostly there are few categories of people I disdain more than self-described "grammar nazis"; people who would ruin such a beautiful, evocative, fluid language by hammering it into an unnecessarily rigid structure, with a primary motivation to gatekeep intellectual and cultural status. Elements of Style is this particular false religion's most sacred text.

Quick Reply Quick Reply