D&D 5E Do bracers of archery benefit ranged spell attacks?

Oofta

Legend
It's probably not game breaking to allow it, but I have a simple rule at my table that if you have to do the equivalent of standing on your head while squinting your eyes to interpret a rule in your favor, I'm likely to say no.

Call it Oofta's variant of Occam's Razor: the most obvious and simple interpretation of the rule is the correct one.

Yunru

Banned
Banned

Okay, let's break it down:
A - Mike never states how things are, he states how he would rule.
B - The Archery fighting style is worded very differently to Bracers of Archery.
C - Mike even rules if it says "Ranged Attacks" then it does apply.

But yes;
RAW: Yes
RAI: No
Rule of Cool: Yes

G

Guest 6801328

I'll steadfastly argue it's RAW, although I'll equally argue that it's not RAI, and I'd also equally argue that it is ROC.

Really? Even though it only applies to attacks made with the bow, and cantrips don't use the focus so they don't use the bow?

How are you interpreting this such that it seems like it's RAW?

Okay, let's break it down:
A - Mike never states how things are, he states how he would rule.
B - The Archery fighting style is worded very differently to Bracers of Archery.
C - Mike even rules if it says "Ranged Attacks" then it does apply.

But yes;
RAW: Yes
RAI: No
Rule of Cool: Yes

Yep, Mike rules how things would work in his games, not what is RAW. Jeremy is the only one with that power. Both of them have stated that before.

Plus, aren't there easier ways to make your character into the Ranger from the D&D cartoon? ;)

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
And even if your DM says "yes", your PC has to burn one of three attunement slots for this schtick. I'm not sure there are many 17th level warlocks who can't find better uses for their attunement slots. So, I'd say "(a) no, they're called bracers of archery for a reason; and (b) why would you want to; and (c) look, I'll just give your rod of the pact keeper another function, dude, stop whining, snowflake!".

Cheers, Al'kelhar

What you're using it as doesn't change what it is though. The bracers don't care how you use the weapon, only that the attack is made using said weapon (in this case (well not this exact one) as a foci).

What it it is a long flexible piece of wood with a cord attached. You can do lots of things with it. You could use it (unstrung) as a walking stick - historically authentic, you could wave it in the air to cast a spell (if you have a class ability that enables that), you could use it to shoot arrows at a target, you could throw it on a fire as fuel. Only one of these uses is called "Archery".

A spell casting focus is not a "weapon", any more than a pouch of martial components is a weapon. It is what it says - a focus for casting spells. Some foci can double up as a weapon - a staff, a shield used to bash - and some classes get an ability to use a weapon as a focus. But what they are is defined by the function they are used for. A +1 Sword does not give you a bonus to hit and damage if you use it to cast a spell. The +1 only applies when you use the sword to stab someone with. There are specific magic items that give bonuses to spell attacks.

Rule of cool - the DM might choose to allow eldritch blast to manifest as arrows shot from a bladelock's bow, and hence benefit from bracers of archery, but this is neither the letter or intent of the rules. However, it is the letter and intent that the DM has the final say and can overrule if they choose to do so.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
A +1 Sword does not give you a bonus to hit and damage if you use it to cast a spell. The +1 only applies when you use the sword to stab someone with. There are specific magic items that give bonuses to spell attacks.

Aaaactually, a +1 weapon only has the same requirements:
"You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon."
Using it as a foci still means attack and damage rolls made with it.

As does chucking it at someone, say as an improvised weapon.

Remove ads