High-Level Features for Mid-Level Campaigns?

aco175

Legend
All my games end before high level play. Mostly due to the length of play and character burnout. The last big campaign lasted over 2 years and the players wanted to try something new. The lat one has been going for a year now and the PCs are hitting level 6, so The amount we play each week seems to take a toll.

When the campaign was heading to an end I added a few more powerful items to the PCs but I could add more abilities just as well. When I look at characters to play and balance things, I never look at if the 20th level power is good or balanced, or even the 14th level power just because it doe not matter to my group. Maybe adding some of this to the last level the PCs play that campaign would be cool to finish the character.

Laurefindel

Legend
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Indeed, potions and scrolls (which can be re-skinned if necessary) are all one-time consumables built-in right into the game. A good avenue to explore.

I also like the magic item route. I've made plenty of magic items granting or adding onto class features in the past, but they always granted "always-on" or "item charge" benefits. It never occurred to me to give items with a one-off effect rider, possibly ending the magic in the item when that effect is used. Good suggestion.

I also thought of simply reducing hp progression while keeping the feature tree whole (not unlike AD&D with slower hp progression after 10th level) but took a lot of flak from that suggestion on message boards. I learned the hard way that it is a lot more (socially) acceptable to offer a campaign going to 11th level plus a few bonus, than suggesting going all the way to 20 with reduced benefits, even if it comes to the same end results.

Grognerd

Explorer
I also thought of simply reducing hp progression while keeping the feature tree whole (not unlike AD&D with slower hp progression after 10th level) but took a lot of flak from that suggestion on message boards. I learned the hard way that it is a lot more (socially) acceptable to offer a campaign going to 11th level plus a few bonus, than suggesting going all the way to 20 with reduced benefits, even if it comes to the same end results.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most of the people giving you flak were kids who have never played 1e or Basic?

GreyLord

Legend
Needing some DMing advice, although more as a thought experiment than anything else.

Long story made short, my campaigns usually run until level 11th-13th. The sweet spot for me is between 5th and 9th level; after the PC have enough hp to withstand challenging encounters, but before their low-level abilities become irrelevant (and before the PC have enough hp to face all but the most outlandish opponents).

This however, means that I ignore 30% to 50% of the game material, that is, high-level spells and class features. That in itself doesn't impact the mechanics of the game as I use 100% of the material for that range of levels, but there are days where I'd like the PCs (and NPCs) to cast the occasional high-level spell, of use a high level feature.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an Epic-11 type of game with added features instead of gaining levels thereafter, or some kind of houserule allowing PCs to tap into higher-level features/spells for a once-in-a-lifetime wish spell, or holy nimbus transformation, or action surged-4 attacks per round routine?

Magic is a bit easier to implement; rituals involving many acolytes, holy sacrifice (not necessarily the death of a person), specific moment in a year/decade/century, extremely exotic components, pilgrimage to a specific site etc. I have more difficulty coming up with anything for martial characters however. One-off divine blessing perhaps, or "ability coupons" handed out to players as reward throughout the campaign?

I'm opened to ideas,

(please don't reply just to say how high levels aren't that difficult to play; that is a good discussion, but one we can have in another thread)

You could use the Epic boons to give them the feel of High Level. You could reward one every 30K (so similar to how much XP one needs to gain one after 20th level) which would mean they wouldn't get it until later (between 7-8 level for the first and 9-10 level for the second). This could gran tthem things like a 9th level spell slot (or less if you desired), or other things.

As another said you could give blessings. Maybe there is a blessing that they get those 4 attacks once per day and need a long rest to regain it, or some other blessing.

If you want it even more limited, you could give them charms where they could cast a high level spell (let's say an 8th level spell) so many times until it's gone.

These options can be found in the DMG between pages 227-232 if you are want to learn more.

Laurefindel

Legend
You could use the Epic boons to give them the feel of High Level. You could reward one every 30K (so similar to how much XP one needs to gain one after 20th level) which would mean they wouldn't get it until later (between 7-8 level for the first and 9-10 level for the second). This could grant them things like a 9th level spell slot (or less if you desired), or other things.

As another said you could give blessings. Maybe there is a blessing that they get those 4 attacks once per day and need a long rest to regain it, or some other blessing.

If you want it even more limited, you could give them charms where they could cast a high level spell (let's say an 8th level spell) so many times until it's gone.

These options can be found in the DMG between pages 227-232 if you are want to learn more.

Yes, I'm familiar with epic boons and they're pretty cool, if only as a basis of how powerful a homebrew boon can be. But most boons, or class features that you acquire through gained levels, a typically always-on or refresh on long rest. Through this, I'm realizing that it's not the 9th level spell that turns me off from high level play; it's the 9th level spell *every* long rest period.

To that there are a few solutions. Longer long rests is one of them, like the gritty realism variant of the DMG, and a few more suggested in this thread. The always-on feature as 1/long rest is an interesting avenue I haven't explored however; thanks for that suggestion.

Remove ads