I was right about Shield Master

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It is a philosophical debate.

What come first, the action or the idea of the action?
Do the wholeness of the action supersede the wholeness of the bonus action?
What is a round? Do a round can be divided into an infinite number of subrounds?
Do an action exists by its own?
And so on...

Well it would be if JC wasn't so durn clear on what he meant.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Illogical. I don't think words mean what you think they do.

I see! I didn't realise that was actually a valid counterpoint.
Okay, debate over, Jeremy Crawford is wrong because I declare his tweet illogical. I don't think words mean what he thinks they do.

guachi

Hero
Yeah, but why are you crowing about it now, when JC made that clarification months ago? Is this just you being extremely late to the party, or have the rest of us missed something that JC said more recently?

He had to complete his Attack action before he could complete his Bonus action "I told you so..."

guachi

Hero
The feat could be worded something like how bonus action spells/cantrips are. If you cast a cantrip as an action, then you can cast a bonus action spell. If you cast a bonus action spell, the only thing you can cast is a cantrip.

The rule works both ways. Shield Master could be reworded to say that if you use Shield Master as a bonus action, you can only take the Attack action. Or the reverse: if you take the Attack action you can use the Shield Master bonus action.

Easy fix.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Shield master still has usefulness as if your a tank and you have an ally with booming blade.

1. Ally attacks melee enemy with booming blade (I have a Sorcerer melee fighter who uses booming blade with twin and quicken spell and Shadow blade, sentinel, so this is a likely thing for my group.)
2. Tank moves forward and attacks, then bonus action Shield Master pushes enemy back 5ft.
3. On the NPC enemies turn it moves forward to attack the two and takes booming blade damage or it stands there useless. Which results in the two of you repeat this again until it dies without a chance to fight back. Either way you win, Hurray!!

Team work for the win.

Good plan for players dealing with GMs who don't mix up enemies only sending melee enemies (something I have seen from story GMs who don't care about tactical combat enough to really design encounters) which will result in more satisfying games with varied enemies or because you walk all over enemies like a boss.

WIN , WIN

So FrogReaver was right regarding an internet rules argument.
Congrats.

*looks around*

Okay, nothing else seems to have changed and no one really cares...
I wonder what's on TV.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I see! I didn't realise that was actually a valid counterpoint.
Okay, debate over, Jeremy Crawford is wrong because I declare his tweet illogical. I don't think words mean what he thinks they do.

Well at least you give up easily. It gets tiring when someone tries to argue the sky isn't blue despite all evidence to the contrary.

Oofta

Legend
Shield master still has usefulness as if your a tank and you have an ally with booming blade.

1. Ally attacks melee enemy with booming blade (I have a Sorcerer melee fighter who uses booming blade with twin and quicken spell and Shadow blade, sentinel, so this is a likely thing for my group.)
2. Tank moves forward and attacks, then bonus action Shield Master pushes enemy back 5ft.
3. On the NPC enemies turn it moves forward to attack the two and takes booming blade damage or it stands there useless. Which results in the two of you repeat this again until it dies without a chance to fight back. Either way you win, Hurray!!

Team work for the win.

Good plan for players dealing with GMs who don't mix up enemies only sending melee enemies (something I have seen from story GMs who don't care about tactical combat enough to really design encounters) which will result in more satisfying games with varied enemies or because you walk all over enemies like a boss.

WIN , WIN

Assuming that
  • You have a mix of PCs that makes this combo work
  • They act in the correct order, without the opponent acting in between.
  • There are no ranged attackers that will be at disadvantage to hit
  • The opponent, now apparently out of melee range from everyone doesn't just ignore the whopping 9 points of damage from booming blade (assuming levels 6-10 when typical monsters have over 100 HP) and attack the squishies in the back.

In addition, if you allow the bonus action any time during the turn you take the bonus action can still do this if it makes sense. I fail to see how this is a "win". I see "edge case minor benefit" that means other feats or an increase in ability scores are probably more useful for the majority of PCs.

Remove ads