I was right about Shield Master

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Here’s a restatement of the first bullet of Shield Master that I believe makes my preferred reading apparent:
If you choose the Attack action as your action for your turn, you can use a bonus action at any time during that turn to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.​

G

Guest 6801328

Here’s a restatement of the first bullet of Shield Master that I believe makes my preferred reading apparent:
If you choose the Attack action as your action for your turn, you can use a bonus action at any time during that turn to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.​

How about:

As a bonus action you on your turn you may...(etc). If you do so, you must also take or have taken the Attack action that turn.

5ekyu

Hero
Honestly, if thats the casen why not just say "When equipped with a shield, you may use shove as a bonus action."

You have by allowing the bonus before the attack effectively removed the impact of the dependency. Is it really a breaker at this point if you allow bash down bonus and blast with cantrip? Is bash down then drink potion that bad?

The key to the thing in most of the cases i have seen is this - can i as one benefit from this feat shove as bonus to then get advantage on all my attacks"?

If the answer is yes, then just make it a straight bonus action option depending on shield worn and avoid the invention of a de facto "declare what i might do" phase.

5ekyu

Hero
Basically, do you see this feature of this feat as

"You can use shield bash to setup your attacks"

Or

"You can use your attacks to setup shield bash"

???

epithet

Explorer
Honestly, if thats the casen why not just say "When equipped with a shield, you may use shove as a bonus action."

You have by allowing the bonus before the attack effectively removed the impact of the dependency. Is it really a breaker at this point if you allow bash down bonus and blast with cantrip? Is bash down then drink potion that bad?

The key to the thing in most of the cases i have seen is this - can i as one benefit from this feat shove as bonus to then get advantage on all my attacks"?

If the answer is yes, then just make it a straight bonus action option depending on shield worn and avoid the invention of a de facto "declare what i might do" phase.

Your point is excellent. There is no utility that I can see to tying the shove to the Attack action in any way. Shield Master shove (knockdown) + booming blade should be possible, and Shield Master shove (knock back) + ranged spell attack without penalty should also be possible. The more I think about it, the more linking the shove to the Attack action seems to be just a needless complication.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases