Question(s) about Pathfinder's Cthulhu Mythos book?

E

Elderbrain

Does anybody have a link to a table of contents for this book? They are making a version for D&D's
5th Edition, and it is supposed to contain everything that was in the Pathfinder version, so I'm
interested in what is in that book. Is the Dreamlands detailed? Any help appreciated! :D

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Here are the table of contents pages:

Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos Contents 1.jpg

Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos Contents 2.jpg

E

Elderbrain

May the Powers bless you, Shasarak... and may you be invisible to Nyarlathotep's eye.

dave2008

Legend
Does anybody have a link to a table of contents for this book? They are making a version for D&D's
5th Edition, and it is supposed to contain everything that was in the Pathfinder version, so I'm
interested in what is in that book. Is the Dreamlands detailed? Any help appreciated! :D

Just a reminder: the 5e version is supposed to have some stuff the PF version doesn't. It at least has more monsters. the 5e version has over 100 new monsters and I only see 48 in the PF book (or 73 if you count the Oldies - but I don't think that was the intent).

Tristissima

Explorer
Perhaps a silly question, but I've been wondering ~ is the Pathfinder book self-contained (Mythos qua Mythos), or is it embedded in Golarion/the Pact Worlds and their interactions with the Mythos? I see a quick mention of Aklo, which makes me think the latter, but I'm curious.

Also and more importantly ~ I enjoy the Mythos, but not the racism and anti-Semitism baked into it by Lovecraft himself. At this point in my life, I need a text to at least acknowledge the issue, and preferably to address it and help GMs excise it from the setting or create stories that address it. Is any of that in this book?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
The book is world-neutral. Although I did write a big chunk of it, it's not a Paizo product and doesn't use Golarion lore. Aklo itself is a language that we picked up for use in Pathfinder, but was itself invented in 1889 by Arthur Machen in his short story, "The White People," and Lovecraft picked up the language for inclusion in some of his stories a few decades later, which is how it all ended up being part of the overall mythos. (Aklo appears as a language in Call of Cthulhu as well, for example.)

dave2008

Legend
Also and more importantly ~ I enjoy the Mythos, but not the racism and anti-Semitism baked into it by Lovecraft himself. At this point in my life, I need a text to at least acknowledge the issue, and preferably to address it and help GMs excise it from the setting or create stories that address it. Is any of that in this book?

I think addressing it is a good idea, but I wouldn't think DM's need help to excise it from the setting. I don't see racism, sexism, and anti-Semitism as part of the setting, just HPL's personal biases. You don't need any of those elements to play the game's setting and I wouldn't expect to see them included in the setting in any way.

Remove ads