Questions about Unconscious (hex, sleep, wild shape, familiar)

Ganders

Explorer
D&D 5e. There's a quick battle. On one side we have a level 3 human druid (moon), currently in wolf form. On the other side a level 3 human warlock (archfey, chain pact), with a pseudodragon familiar. If it matters, warlock has 21 hp, pseudodragon has 7 hp, and the druid has 21 hp (but 11 hp as a wolf).

Warlock goes first, casting Hex on the druid. The pseudodragon moves forward to attack, but misses.

In response, the druid bites the quasit for 7 damage, but for some reason declares he wants to knock it out rather than kill it.

Now the warlock casts Sleep on the druid, and rolls 28 on 7d8. He does not stop concentrating on his first spell.

The warlock then flees; neither the druid nor the warlock have suffered any lasting injury.

Now, here's the questions:

1) What happens to the pseudodragon? A) It lays on the ground unconscious but stable. B) It disappears, leaving behind no body.

2) What happens to the druid? A) The druid is now a sleeping human for one minute. B) The druid is now an awake human.

3) Is the druid still Hexed? A) Yes. B) No.

4) Can the warlock transfer his Hex to another target five minutes later? A) Yes. B) No.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
1) B. Whether or not it was chosen to be knocked out, it hit 0 hp so it disappears.
2) The Druid reverts. And is still asleep.
3) A.
4) Only if the Druid hits 0hp.

Last edited:

Ganders

Explorer
Followup: After the warlock flees, someone else comes along and knocks the druid out with a quarterstaff, and then someone heals the druid.

5) Now is the druid still hexed? A) Yes. B) No.

6) Now can the warlock transfer the hex to another target? A) Yes. B) No.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If they drop to 0 hp, then you can move the hex. Until you move the hex, they're still hexed (even if they're dead).
If they're knocked out through other means (like the Sleep spell), then you can't move the Hex.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If they drop to 0 hp, then you can move the hex. Until you move the hex, they're still hexed (even if they're dead).
If they're knocked out through other means (like the Sleep spell), then you can't move the Hex.

Yunru has been saying everything I would say, and doing it better + faster. I just wanted to unpack that last bit:

How does hitting 0 interact with Hex? The same way any other creature dropping to 0 would - the warlock now has the option to spend a bonus action and change the target. They don't have to.

Same if a non-wildshape PC was dropped unconscious and then healed - the warlock is under no obligation to move Hex, and it's still on the original target until they do. They just now have the ability to do so (regardless of the fact that the target is now awake).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Yunru has been saying everything I would say, and doing it better + faster. I just wanted to unpack that last bit:

How does hitting 0 interact with Hex? The same way any other creature dropping to 0 would - the warlock now has the option to spend a bonus action and change the target. They don't have to.

Same if a non-wildshape PC was dropped unconscious and then healed - the warlock is under no obligation to move Hex, and it's still on the original target until they do. They just now have the ability to do so (regardless of the fact that the target is now awake).

To expand on that even further, the hexed creature could be outright killed and brought back, and would still suffer the Hex. The only difference is you can choose to move it. Which you'd normally do because, well, dead body.

So the druid is only still under the effects of hex if the warlock chooses to maintain concentration. If the druid hits 0 hp, the warlock can move hex to a new target. But the warlock can also drop concentration and recast hex on a new creature.

The pseudodragon (I assume you meant the pseudodragon rather than quasit) dissipates when it hits 0 hit points.

The druid, as far as I know, reverts to human form and is asleep.

Remove ads