D&D 5E 5E's "Missed Opportunities?"

Laurefindel

Legend
In short: D&D absolutely needs an utility-based pricing and creation framework for magic items.

Hum, personally, I'm very glad 5e does not encourage the purchase of magic items.

However, I wouldn't be against a system that allows you to spend gold to gain X, with a variant rule allowing X to be a magic item. Not unlike ASI are baked into the system, but a variant rule allows feats to be purchased instead, in games that allow it.

Then again, we'd be bound by some kind of wealth-by-level scale to keep things balanced for all, and I'm not sure I wanna go back there. In fact, I *know* i don't want to go back there.

I don't really have anything to suggest however...

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Hum, personally, I'm very glad 5e does not encourage the purchase of magic items.

However, I wouldn't be against a system that allows you to spend gold to gain X, with a variant rule allowing X to be a magic item. Not unlike ASI are baked into the system, but a variant rule allows feats to be purchased instead, in games that allow it.

Then again, we'd be bound by some kind of wealth-by-level scale to keep things balanced for all, and I'm not sure I wanna go back there. In fact, I *know* i don't want to go back there.

I don't really have anything to suggest however...
I recently had cause to deal with this for a Sigil based campaign. At the center of everything, it makes sense everything is for sale. To deal with the dirty hobos with bags of cash only buying top shelf items, I've added an "access" stat. Access is simple, it runs in tiers just like items do. To get it, you have to make friends -- no one selling 50k gp items lets just anyone into thier stores, after all. You also have to look the part -- if you pay for a poor lifestyle, you can't get into the good shops. This drives rp onto gaining social status to procure access, and acts a modest drain on gp by driving a need for higher lifestyle costs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's the thing about the 3.x "economy": they just made numbers up. WotC has explicitly stated that is why they aren't doing it this go around, there never was any rational basis for the magic economy. You could use the prices from the 3.x DMG and it would be as rational as anything else.

CapnZapp

Legend
Here's the thing about the 3.x "economy": they just made numbers up. WotC has explicitly stated that is why they aren't doing it this go around, there never was any rational basis for the magic economy. You could use the prices from the 3.x DMG and it would be as rational as anything else.
Sorry if you believe that there's nothing I can say.

We've had plenty of threads on the subject of rational pricing, I suggest you go look those up.

If you still have any objections, I would be more than happy to address your specific concerns.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry if you believe that there's nothing I can say.

We've had plenty of threads on the subject of rational pricing, I suggest you go look those up.

If you still have any objections, I would be more than happy to address your specific concerns.

I've seen those threads, yes; WotC claim that the numbers are just made up is more plausible. I'm sure there is stuff for that sort of thing on the DMsGuild, and it's probably as good as anything WitC would make up. Stuff like that is where the DMsGuild really shines.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I think that mathematically it comes out to a +5/-5. You roll two dice and take the higher roll (or lower in the case of disadvantage). IMO, this is too much of a modifier for most rolls. It's the equivalent of the proficiency bonus of a 13-16th level character.
Someone probably expanded on this already, but in case not here is a quick outline:

There are 20 outcomes on each die, thus 400 outcomes when your roll two of them (20*20=400).
Say I would hit on a 16, 17, 18, 19 or 20? With advantage both dice must come up 1-15 for me to miss, so I just multiply them together. There are 15*15=225 ways for me to miss.
I went from a 75% chance to miss (15/20) to a 56.5% chance to miss (225/400). That is about a +4.

Say I would hit on everything but a 1? With advantage both dice must come up 1 for me to miss. There is only 1*1=1 way for me to miss.
I went from a 5% chance to miss, to a 0.25% to miss. This needs some slightly different language because in one sense, it is about +1, but in another sense it pushes the chance of seeing a miss out to perhaps once a year (assuming a session a week and eight rolls with advantage per session) or less!

+5 is where I land when I have advantage on something that is exactly 50/50 (11+) and then it slopes out toward +1 as you can see.

lluewhyn

Explorer
In the vein of the 3.x and PF DMGs, that is. Not the crap nonsense of "rarity". And certainly not the utter insanity that the new AL-adopted treasure point system where the glaring gold issue is swept entirely under the rug!

Good luck with your game :)

That is one of my issues with the edition. You can get all kinds of money, but then the DM needs to find out uses for it, because there's little to buy past 2nd or 3rd level. Sure, for a simulationist campaign where you're building your own keep, refurbishing an ancient cathedral, you can come up with solutions, but that doesn't work well with adventuring based campaigns where you have little down time. Monthly living expenses is a decent idea, but once again it works better in campaigns where PCs have a more set timeline than one where they're constantly haring off after some trouble or another.

Been a problem since the beginning, because the game was based off stories like Conan/Fafhrd & Grey Mouser where the protagonists were chasing after all kinds of wealth and conveniently spent it all on drinking/whoring between adventures as a narrative conceit. Harder to do when the players choose not to do that and an ale is 3 cp, and they've got 3,000 gp.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That is one of my issues with the edition. You can get all kinds of money, but then the DM needs to find out uses for it, because there's little to buy past 2nd or 3rd level. Sure, for a simulationist campaign where you're building your own keep, refurbishing an ancient cathedral, you can come up with solutions, but that doesn't work well with adventuring based campaigns where you have little down time. Monthly living expenses is a decent idea, but once again it works better in campaigns where PCs have a more set timeline than one where they're constantly haring off after some trouble or another.

Been a problem since the beginning, because the game was based off stories like Conan/Fafhrd & Grey Mouser where the protagonists were chasing after all kinds of wealth and conveniently spent it all on drinking/whoring between adventures as a narrative conceit. Harder to do when the players choose not to do that and an ale is 3 cp, and they've got 3,000 gp.
Training expenses.

They need to train for each level-up, and it costs.

That, and though I'm not as adamant on the topic as [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] is, I agree that the concept of tradeable-buyable-sellable magic items (randomly generated!!!) simply makes realistic sense in any game world where the PCs are not the only adventurers that exist, simply because other adventurers, just like the PCs, are sometimes going to come back from the field packing items they have no use for.

Where I disagree with the good Capn, however, is in item creation. Ideally this should take long enough that adventurers never do it themselves and rarely get someone else to do it for them. The 3e model, where you could in effect make whatever you wanted in a very short time, was one of its poorer design choices.

Oofta

Legend
I agree that magic items should be for sale, although I'd probably limit what was available simply from a control perspective. If there are magic items, they would be in demand, if nothing else as trophies and collector's items.

But I'd like more guidelines on other things as well. How much does a keep cost? What kind of expenses would there be? Maybe even guidelines foe building an army - to help overthrow the evil overlord of course. :angel:

There are any number of things along a similar line. I can make numbers up as a DM, but general charts and guidelines would be helpful depending on the campaign.

Remove ads