D&D 5E Shield Attacks and AC Bonus

Strider1973

Explorer
Let's say that a character wielding a weapon and a shield wants to attack with both.
I usually allow this, using the "two weapon fighting" rules.
My question is: does this character get his AC bonus from the shield after he attacked with the shield, against attacks made against me until his next action?
According to me he shouldn't get the AC Bonus from the Shield, since he used it as a weapon, but I'd like to know if I'm missing something, using the RAW.
Many Thanks!

Li Shenron

Legend
IIRC without a special ability for it, you can attack with a shield as an improvised weapon, dealing 1d4 damage and without proficiency bonus on attack rolls, but you don't lose the AC bonus from it.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I was going to say "Oh no, not this again" but then I saw this:

IIRC without a special ability for it, you can attack with a shield as an improvised weapon, dealing 1d4 damage and without proficiency bonus on attack rolls, but you don't lose the AC bonus from it.

Was the only response. So my answer is that ^.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The rules don't say.

Each DM will decide what they feel is "right" or "balanced" or "fun".

For some, using a shield as an improvised weapon means it isn't being used as a shield (and so the player chooses whether to take the AC bonus or the extra attack).

For others, an extra 1d4 weapon attack per round is not anything to worry about.

I'm in the former camp, but I also know there's nothing in the rules either way.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In a related question, if I was planning on using a shield as an Improvised Weapon this turn I wouldn't add the Dueling fighting style to my main weapon.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I keep it simple. You can attack with the weapon on turn 1. You can attack with the shield on turn 2. OR. You can attack with the shield on turn 1. You can attack with the weapon on turn 2.

No weird rules interactions need decided then.

I guess I should add at level 5 he can definitely use Extra attack to attack with the weapon and shield on the same turn :)

In this case he would keep his shield bonus to AC.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Let's say that a character wielding a weapon and a shield wants to attack with both.
I usually allow this, using the "two weapon fighting" rules.
My question is: does this character get his AC bonus from the shield after he attacked with the shield, against attacks made against me until his next action?
According to me he shouldn't get the AC Bonus from the Shield, since he used it as a weapon, but I'd like to know if I'm missing something, using the RAW.
Many Thanks!

two-weapon fighting rules don't allow a character to attack with a weapon and shield. So I assume you mean "as-if" using the two-weapon fighting rules. In which case you are clearly outside RAW and it's up to you to decide how it works.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I see this a couple of ways.

1) Shields can be used as improvised weapons. While someone mentioned using a d4 for damage, I see them being closer to a club, and would say a d6 could also be appropriate. This is especially true because history is full of examples of shields not only protecting their wielder, but also being designed and effectively used as weapons. I can also see them being treated as light weapons, thus allowing them to qualify as an off-hand weapon for two-weapon fighting.

2) As an improvised weapon, unless you had something like Tavern Brawler (I'd also argue Shield Master would qualify), you wouldn't add your proficiency bonus to attack. However, as I have already mentioned, many shields in history were not only used, but designed to be used as weapons in addition to offering protection. As such, I would be open to a more expensive shield that could be used as if it was a martial weapon.

3) Without the Dual Wielder feat, you also could not add your Str/Dex mod to damage.

4) During the turn you use the shield to attack, you could not benefit from your shield towards AC. However, I would say at any point after the end of your turn and before the start of your next turn, you could use a reaction to reinstate your shield bonus to AC which would last until you use it to attack again.

Of course, this is all my reasoning and how I would likely rule for my table. So obviously YMMV.

Remove ads