Ideas for Improving Inspiration

G

Guest 6801328

In another thread some of the (perceived) shortcomings of Inspiration came up, including:

1) Forgetting to use it
2) The improbability of a DM remembering all the traits/flaws/etc. of all the players

Let's brainstorm about ways to improve it.

I'll add that I would prefer Inspiration were an "after the fact" resource, rather than one you have to spend without knowing if you'll actually need it. So one little tweak I make (and the only houserule I use) is that it works more like Lucky: you can spend it to re-roll, rather than rolling with Advantage. (I suppose I would let somebody use it for Advantage if they preferred, for example a Rogue wanting to get Sneak Attack.)

Thoughts?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Personally, depending on the type of game, I give each player 1-4 inspiration at the start of the session (depending on the style of game. Players in a horror / survival game get only one, players in a more heroic type game get 4). It's use it or lose it (so no carry over). And if a player does something cool or succeed at something risky (regardless of traits and such) I'll reward bonus inspiration that can carry over to the following sessions until used.

cmad1977

Hero
I ask my player to practically beg for it.
‘Ooh! My bond is to the orphanage back home. I’m gonna donate my take from the job to them! Does that get inspiration?’

‘Hey! Since I tend to forget/ignore plans that we make... I’m gonna Leroy Jenkins this. It’s my flaw...’

I don’t have to remember their information and it keeps them engaged in their character more than their build.

I also will grant more than 1 inspiration per session to someone if applicable.

pukunui

Legend
I put the PCs’ traits (usually in condensed form) on the backs of the initiative cards I make, along with the other bits I like to have on hand (passive Insight and Perception, AC, ability scores, darkvision, height and weight, etc.)

I also allow my players to use inspiration after they’ve rolled but we still treat it like advantage (that is, they can use the higher of the two rolls, rather than being stuck with the reroll.)

I also tend to let everyone start each session with inspiration.

I’ve experimented with making traits work more like FATE aspects, but it doesn’t work so well when inspiration is just an either/or thing, and I’m hesitant to start handing out multiple instances of it.

lluewhyn

Explorer
We just use it as you suggested, as a reroll instead of a double roll. No one was *ever* using it before. Now, people are still forgetting about it, but at least they are occasionally using it.

G

Guest 6801328

We just use it as you suggested, as a reroll instead of a double roll. No one was *ever* using it before. Now, people are still forgetting about it, but at least they are occasionally using it.

Yeah, I think one of the reasons people forget about it is that you keep "saving" it for a super important roll, and then you eventually forget. When you use the re-roll method, players tend to use it on the first semi-important miss. It keeps the mechanic more in the front of your mind.

the Jester

Legend
I find the easiest way to handle inspiration is to award it when a pc roleplays their character in a way that is faithful to their character but detrimental to them or the group. For instance, a character who is scrupulously honest tells the truth about something that gets them, or the party, in trouble; a pc who is generous to the poor gives money that he needs or wants to spend on something else to a beggar; or a pc who is prone to violence has an outburst in a social situation where it undermines the party's goals.

I also give inspiration to a player who "lubricates the game". For instance, if we're playing late and someone makes a pot of coffee for the group; if someone brings a prop, such as their own miniature or a picture they drew of the party; stuff like that.

I also have a number of custom magic items that key off of inspiration. One of my groups just found a magic belt that lets a pc use her inspiration to take an extra action instead of gaining advantage on a roll, for one example.

Having players prompt me about awarding inspiration doesn't hurt, either, especially when they nominate each other instead of themselves.

G

Guest 6801328

I also have a number of custom magic items that key off of inspiration. One of my groups just found a magic belt that lets a pc use her inspiration to take an extra action instead of gaining advantage on a roll, for one example.

Adventures in Middle Earth (5e) from Cubicle7 has a number of class abilities that are powered off Inspiration.

S'mon

Legend
I don't give it out much. As suggested, I allow rerolls with it, but not if the original roll had Advantage or Disadvantage.

Raith5

Adventurer
We use it as a reroll as well. We also use it basically as an automatic short rest resource - the DM doesnt give it out on the fly.

Remove ads