What’s your favourite horror RPG and why?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What’s your favourite horror RPG and why?

So it’s nearly Halloween. What horror RPG (or setting) is our go-to? Cthulhu? Dread? Ravenloft?

pogre

Legend
I really enjoy the built-in tension the tower brings to Dread. It is my "go to" system for one-off horror scenarios.

I have not been particular successful in maintaining a true horror campaign. I have run Cthulhu campaigns, but they always seem to fall apart - at least the PCs do.

Nagol

Unimportant
Probably All Flesh Must be Eaten and associated Uni-system games. I also like Bureau 13, The Laundry, and Deadlands.

I'd like to try Esoterrorists or Night Black Agents.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Call of Cthulhu is still my favorite - the source material is pretty compelling and with a lot of awesome adventure material. Plus, questions like this give me a chance to flog one of the best RPG campaigns I've ever experienced, from both the player and Keeper side - The Masks of Nyarlathotep.

Though I do have to say that It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show did have its charms. Having a Scream skill was very valuable.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Delta Green is a nice blend of cosmic Lovecraftian horror and X-Files like secret agencies and conspiracies. It’s a great combo, in my opinion. I think I like that PCs are more capable so they get to do some cool stuff, but ultimately they’re just as doomed as characters in other horror games.

Jhaelen

First Post
Trail of Cthulhu: Imho, it's 'Call of Cthulhu' done right. I really like the strong focus on investigation and storytelling and the vague monster descriptions & stats. The thing is: The CoC made for some great reading and promised great gameplay but for me they somehow always failed to work well when we actually tried to play them. The conversions created for Trail of Cthulhu really deliver the kind of experience that I always hoped for.

(un)reason

Legend
Wraith:the Oblivion. White Wolf were able to go to genuinely dark places there in a way they've never done before or since, and a long term Wraith campaign can really rack up the existential horror long after you've become inured to jump scares as you deal with the ramifications of being a soul with unresolved issues that needs to feed off emotion to survive and a hyperactive dark side that means you can never really trust yourself or anyone else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases