Mike Mearls: so here’s the first part of my two-weapon fighting house rule

Mike Mearls: so here’s the first part of my two-weapon fighting house rule

Mike Mearls discusses his two-weapon fighting house rule here: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/10/2...st-part-of-my-two-weapon-fighting-house-rule/.

-So here’s the first part of my two-weapon fighting house rule. Note that at this stage I’m ignoring the effect of feats, will get to those later:

-If you wield two light weapons you gain +1 AC and you can make one extra attack. All your attacks on your turn take a -4 penalty. Penalty drops to -2 if you have the Extra Attack feature, -1 if that feature gives you 2 more attacks, 0 if it gives you 3.

-You can forgo the extra attack to increase the AC bonus to +2 and ignore the attack penalty.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Mike Mearls discusses his two-weapon fighting house rule here: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/10/2...st-part-of-my-two-weapon-fighting-house-rule/.

-So here’s the first part of my two-weapon fighting house rule. Note that at this stage I’m ignoring the effect of feats, will get to those later:

-If you wield two light weapons you gain +1 AC and you can make one extra attack. All your attacks on your turn take a -4 penalty. Penalty drops to -2 if you have the Extra Attack feature, -1 if that feature gives you 2 more attacks, 0 if it gives you 3.

-You can forgo the extra attack to increase the AC bonus to +2 and ignore the attack penalty.

Uh, gotta say, not a fan in any way. 5e is about carrot, not stick. Penalties like that are to be avoided, imo.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Giving +2 AC is too good. Should be +1 if you parry and +2 if you parry with the feat.

Is it? It's roughly +5 AC if you give up your action (dodge) and +2 if you use only one weapon (shield). Here it's +2 AC if you take a -4 to your attack, AND you do less damage with those attacks (because all non-light weapons do more damage than light weapons). Seems right in the pocket for where the AC bonus should be for what you're sacrificing.

Pauln6

Hero
Is it? It's roughly +5 AC if you give up your action (dodge) and +2 if you use only one weapon (shield). Here it's +2 AC if you take a -4 to your attack, AND you do less damage with those attacks (because all non-light weapons do more damage than light weapons). Seems right in the pocket for where the AC bonus should be for what you're sacrificing.

The quote said you forego the penalty if you parry.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The quote said you forego the penalty if you parry.

Right and in that case it's exactly as if you had a shield...but at the requirement of a light weapon in your other hand. Seems fair. You can wield a 1d8 weapon which does 1d10 (versitile) and a shield, or you can wield a 1d6 weapon and a second light weapon which functions as a shield if you don't attack with it.

Pauln6

Hero
Right and in that case it's exactly as if you had a shield...but at the requirement of a light weapon in your other hand. Seems fair. You can wield a 1d8 weapon which does 1d10 (versitile) and a shield, or you can wield a 1d6 weapon and a second light weapon which functions as a shield if you don't attack with it.

Not so sure. It takes an action to equip a shield so not so easy to switch and the house rule gives +1 AC Even with the off hand attack. Seems to me the dual wielder is winning big time, albeit not at low levels.

Do rogues still need bonus action second attack if this house rule favours those with multi attacks?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases