5E Warlock - What is it actually good at? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Darkness doesn't have that big a radius, so it's worth taking.
    Obviously don't use it in a cramped area though.
    Yeah - I see people white-rooming Darkness+Devil's Sight into "I'll have advantage on every attack in every encounter" and ignore the party-unfriendliness in many circumstances.

Since this thread is about Warlocks, I guess it is a good place to ask a question:

If the maximum spell level slot for a Warlock is 5th, why do they have 6th and higher level spells in the list on page 210 and how can they ever learn or use them?

Quote Originally Posted by James Grover View Post
    Since this thread is about Warlocks, I guess it is a good place to ask a question:

If the maximum spell level slot for a Warlock is 5th, why do they have 6th and higher level spells in the list on page 210 and how can they ever learn or use them?
    At level 11, the warlock gets something called a Mystic Arcanum. This arcanum is a 6th level spell that you can cast once and recharges on a long rest. You get 7th level arcanum at Warlock level 13, and so on. The reason the Arcanum work this way is because the level 6-9 spell slots aren't designed with the idea that a PC could cast them four times per short rest, they're meant to be limited to one use per day.

So, just to make sure I have this clearly, a 17th-level Warlock would have 4 spells at 5th-level casting (whether the spell is 1st through 5th, it is always cast as a 5th), which you can recover during a short rest (so maximum 12 spell slots a day). Plus the arcanum gives 1 each of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. For a total of 16 spells slots.

I would assume the arcanum spells don't HAVE to be from the 6th-level and higher lists. I mean, I could use Witch Bolt for my arcanum, casting it as a 6th-level spell, for instance.

Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by James Grover View Post
    So, just to make sure I have this clearly, a 17th-level Warlock would have 4 spells at 5th-level casting (whether the spell is 1st through 5th, it is always cast as a 5th), which you can recover during a short rest (so maximum 12 spell slots a day). Plus the arcanum gives 1 each of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. For a total of 16 spells slots.

I would assume the arcanum spells don't HAVE to be from the 6th-level and higher lists. I mean, I could use Witch Bolt for my arcanum, casting it as a 6th-level spell, for instance.

Am I missing anything?
    "Choose one 6th-level spell from the warlock spell list as this arcanum." The spell has to be from the list specified by the warlock ability table on PHB 106.

I misunderstood mystic arcanum when I first played a warlock but then after re-reading saw that they don't have spell slots. "You can cast your arcanum spell once without expending a spell slot." Warlocks don't have a 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th level spell slot, and can't use arcanum "slots" to upcast lower level spells. They are more like class abilities that can be used once per long rest.

Quick Reply Quick Reply