More Details About RPGSports Emerge

I had a short chat with Will Jones about RPGSports, the online competitive D&D event which was announced recently, and he was kind enough to answer a few questions about how the contest, which starts on November 10th, works.

Ads-RPG-Sports-768x402.png

Is RPGSports a team event, or is it geared at individuals?

It’s a team event! There are 16 players total with 4 on each team. A lot of these folks are from competitive eSports backgrounds and are newer to Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, but boy have they been reading up! It’s been great to see the teams come together and support one another. Experienced players have been taking the time to sit down with the newer ones and give them advice. They’ve been getting together for practice games and honing the craft. The format may be competitive, but the team work we’ve seen before the game has even begun has made me incredibly proud to see.

What's the basic format of RPGSports? Do characters fight each other, or do groups compete against each other to achieve some sort of goal?

In this first tournament teams compete against one another in a Team Deathmatch style game of 4v4. We’ve heard a lot of requests to run “Dungeon runs” - eg. racing through the Tomb of Horrors to see which team can get through fastest. Different formats are absolutely on our radar for 2019.

What sort of challenges might participants be expected to face? What would the victory conditions look like?

Aside from facing off against the other team, you can expect to see deadly traps, environmental hazards and more. There’s an element of strategy in looking for & disabling traps, while evading the environmental hazards that enter the game as time passes by. The primary win condition is to eliminate all 4 enemy PCs at the same time. If there’s no winner at the end of the match time, we look to other statistics that our analysts are tracking to decide the winner, or can even go into overtime.

You mention a $5,000 prize. Is that the only prize, or are there smaller prizes also?

It’s winner takes all, I’m afraid! Oh, and the winning team gets a big gaudy trophy too. We had to have a trophy. Aside from that though we are sending all of the players dice, shirts and other swag just for taking part.

You changed name from DnDSports to RPGSports recently. What other RPGs do you plan to include?

The table is very open for other TTRPGs to be added to our roster. If anything, it’s a matter of narrowing down some of the games which would work best for RPGSports, rather than having to choose from a small selection. The audience have already suggested dozens of RPGs, but right now we’re focused on getting this first event right before planning too far in advance.

Is RPGSports a one-off event, or an ongoing thing?

We plan for this be an ongoing tournament format in 2019. We’ve been overwhelmed with requests to play and get involved, it’s been incredible. There are even gaming stores interested in taking part in some kind of larger league. All of this is obviously very exciting, but it’s not something we want to dive into without proper structure. You can expect to hear more details from us in the coming year!

When using 5E D&D, do you have a list of pregenerated characters? How many, and what classes and races are covered?

There are 15 Pregenerated characters which have been limited to PHB content for this first tournament. One of the reasons for this is to not overwhelm some newer gamers, while the other is for balance. Giving our team control of the pregens has allowed us to make sure there’s no super overpowered meta build!

The format also features a pick/ban phase which allows teams to ban out a potentially powerful class.

We’ve got a good range of the races & classes in there, and it’s up to the teams to assess which Pregens are the best and how to best utilise their toolset.

Do you already have participants? How would a potential competitor enter?

For this first tournament the participants are already selected for the event, but in the future we definitely see an application process being put in place. Again, that’s in our 2019 plans but we definitely want to make this accessible to the general public.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not that interested in this initial offering, but if they do tournament style scored runs of modules...that would be a differentiation in the market worth a look.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
D&D was never about PvP or speed runs (aside from some exceptions that someone will inevitably bring up). It was about the narrative. So this will not work.

If by "some exceptions" you mean Arneson and Gygax's original home games...heck, the Cleric Class was born out of PvP concerns in the primeval Blackmoor game.

Bringing in other game companies and systems to this could be very interesting. I would love to see a clan vs clan Vampire: the Masquerade fight. Or a Vampire vs Werewolf fight using real rules and not the cheesy LARP rules. Or Call of Cthulhu investigators vs cultists. A fight between rival "Superhero" groups, as in Captain America: Civil War. Etc.

GreyLord

Legend
Some personal thoughts on this.

Just recently someone said that the numbers of players of D&D (12-15 million) and that is surprisingly coming into Magic the Gathering territory.

MtG makes gobs of cash on tournaments, leagues, and other things.

If the playerbase is as large as PR has put it, then it is time to try to expand the money making opportunities in various directions (IMO).

With a base out there, there IS money out there as well. This is a first foray into expanding it in directions.

It combines the competitive nature with other things people seem to be looking at these days (esports, game sessions videos, etc).

This is the first test (I would think) on a foray of this nature, but this format is not necessarily the ONLY format. Dungeon runs and other things could easily be incorporated.

Give it a shot, one may like it.

VIPs are included to give it a shot in the arm. The idea is to get a wider audience (I think, or at least expect) and there are hopes that such individuals might bring in some viewers that normally may not tune in to such a thing. There is a wide cross flow between the two types of gaming (TTRPGs and CRPGs as well as Video games even like fighting/sports/strategy and other types of games). Getting as wide an audience isn't a terrible thing, and with those with greater experience coaching those with lesser experience I imagine things could even up.

If this first foray turns out well, with the increased interest from other venues this could be far larger in the future. Who knows.

I don't think it is as bad as some seem to be making it out to be, and overall, it could be a very positive thing. If it increases interest in the hobby (via esports crossover) or otherwise, gives everyone some entertainment value, and is fun to watch, that should be a good thing overall.

Or so I hope (I guess we'll see how it turns out overall).

Henry

Autoexreginated
I’ll likely watch and support mainly to encourage more varied endeavors. Quite a few people ten years ago decried that there was and would never be any interest in watching people play RPGs - and that things like the Penny Arcade crew playing D&D on podcasts was silly. Now there are live shows and thousands in attendance to watch the spectacle and to watch people play.

Who knows where eSports will go in the future. I can’t say I’m a fan of most, but there are new popular players (Tyler Blevins is one) who seem to be trying to promote positive messages and play in their performances, and I think the scene is trying to elevate the image a bit.

D

DQDesign

one of my greatest concern, reading comments here and on the previous threads about the same topic, is that this rpgsport thing seems to divide the community a lot. and this is a very bad thing imho. if I were someone in wotc I would be also worried, being one of the 5e design principles to put an end to editions war and, in general, to community-divisive elements.

pemerton

Legend
If by "some exceptions" you mean Arneson and Gygax's original home games...heck, the Cleric Class was born out of PvP concerns in the primeval Blackmoor game.
I think that "strategic" PvP has a long history in the game. But PvP combat (which is my sense of the announcement, but I'm an esports ignoramus and maybe am misunderstanding it) is (in my view, at least) not that satisfying in most versions of D&D because they're not really built to make it satisfying.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that "strategic" PvP has a long history in the game. But PvP combat (which is my sense of the announcement, but I'm an esports ignoramus and maybe am misunderstanding it) is (in my view, at least) not that satisfying in most versions of D&D because they're not really built to make it satisfying.

Probably not, but the Cleric aforementioned was introduced as one of the players on the opposing team in the Blackmoor campaign was a Vampire (because the original campaign haf opposing teams of players).

pemerton

Legend
Probably not, but the Cleric aforementioned was introduced as one of the players on the opposing team in the Blackmoor campaign was a Vampire (because the original campaign haf opposing teams of players).
How satisfactory the play experience was, of having the cleric walk up to Sir Fang and the player roll 2d6 for the turn attempt, we may never know!

My sense of the Blackmoor campaign is not great, but I understand it to have had some sort of strategic dimension. I don't get the sense that it was a cage match - whether cleric vs Sir Fang or otherwise. From the description othis RPGsports I don't get the sense of a similar strategic elements in the proposed competition, but maybe I'm not quite getting what role the traps and environmental hazards will play.

This isn't disputing your account of the Blackmoor campaign or Sir Fang and the cleric. It's that, to the extent that the RPG sports is something like a cage match, I don't think it's leveraging a significant aspect of D&D tradition. (Whereas a who-can-beat-the-dungeon-first/best competition would absolutely be leveraging such tradition!)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases