D&D 5E Are D&D Ravnica and MtG Ravnica the same?

gyor

Legend
Are D&D Ravnica and MtG Ravnica the same?

Because MtG fans don't think so, they say GGR isn't MtG canon, but as far as I know at this point it is apart of the D&D multiverse, so that makes it D&D canon along with FR, DL, Darksun, Greyhawk, and so on.

Which means there has to be two different Ravnica's? Doesn't it?

This could end up confusing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
WotC has taken the approach that the Forgotten Realms at my table and the Forgotten Realms at your table aren't the same. So, I'm going with no, they are not the "same" as such.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's called the 'multiverse' for a reason. Because every single D&D game out there is different and not the same... thus they are multiple versions of similar things. So D&D Ravnica is not the same as MtG Ravnica, just like my Ravnica game wouldn't be the same as your Ravnica game.

There's no reason why it should be confusing, unless you are one of those people that believes in trying to create a Grand Unified D&D Theory and you can't wrap your head around trying to accomplish it. Which is not surprising, as its technically impossible anyway. :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Metaplot is something D&D gave up on years ago, as it gets messy in implementation for Tabletop RPGs. For M:TG, metaplot isn't a potential problem, since the game qua game is very abstract and it is just cool flavor in the literal background.

gyor

Legend
It's called the 'multiverse' for a reason. Because every single D&D game out there is different and not the same... thus they are multiple versions of similar things. So D&D Ravnica is not the same as MtG Ravnica, just like my Ravnica game wouldn't be the same as your Ravnica game.

There's no reason why it should be confusing, unless you are one of those people that believes in trying to create a Grand Unified D&D Theory and you can't wrap your head around trying to accomplish it. Which is not surprising, as its technically impossible anyway. :)

I'm talking canon not home games, which aren't canon.

I'm talking canon not home games, which aren't canon.

Home games are just as much canon as anything else.

For very good reason.

Publisher: "You know that game you played last night? It never happened."

Player: "So, you are saying there wasn't any point in me playing? Okay, I will go and play a game from a different publisher."

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Which means there has to be two different Ravnica's? Doesn't it?

This could end up confusing.

The first thing you must learn is that there is no spoon.

Well actually to answer the question, there is only one Ravnica, the one you choose to use.

There may be different versions, much like pre Greyhawk Wars or FR Gray box versus current incarnations.

But two, actual, simultaneous, "Ravnicas"....nope.

gyor

Legend
The first thing you must learn is that there is no spoon.

Well actually to answer the question, there is only one Ravnica, the one you choose to use.

There may be different versions, much like pre Greyhawk Wars or FR Gray box versus current incarnations.

But two, actual, simultaneous, "Ravnicas"....nope.

I meant is there two separate canons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases