D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019: "Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm...

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

havard

Adventurer
Still thing about it I might drop Mystara because it's not popular enough to be so soon,

I would change that to: Because in spite of having a large an extremely loyal fan base, WotC have admitted that they don't understand what the setting is about and think that the AD&D 2nd Ed iteration of the setting was a good representation of that setting when the real appeal of that world really lies in the amazing Gazetteer series and the BECMI rulesets, something WotC has even applogized for. ;)

But yeah, it surely won't be Mystara.

I am a bit frustrated with the trolling. Its not just Nathan Stewart doing it. Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford have been doing that a lot too, like when they were having the pretend fight on Twitter about whether Tortles were silly or not and then immediately thereafter released the overly expensive Tortle Package. I think they believe that all PR is good PR, but that really only works when you can deliver the goods.

We have a great edition with 5E, but fans expect more and when only such a limited number of products are released each year they are going to end up with many fans being disappointed. Trolling just adds insult to injury IMO.

Mystara fans still haven't forgotten the "We're going to rerelease the Hollow World" aprils fools joke (ha-ha, very funny) from years ago. I am sure Spelljammer fans are going to feel the same way about the "Summer" Tweet.

That said, the promise of new settings is exciting, especially if they will add something that is neither the FR or MtG into the mix.

-Havard

Hugh Acton

First Post
We know we are getting the Known World (Mystara) in the reprint and conversion of the Isle of Dread, which had the first expansion of the Known World past Karameikos in its text. It will be an official DnD imprint put out by Goodman Games in partnership with WotC, so they haven't "created" it. I think that fits the bill and qualifies as a sort of troll post.

Nate1970

Explorer
If the do another MtG book, I would be most interested in Kaladesh....

As far as another setting, it's got to be different than FR. While I have liked Greyhawk, I don't think it's a big difference to FR (flavor wise anyway).

I think I'm leaning toward wanting a Dark Sun setting. I don't know alot about it but am interested.

havard

Adventurer
We know we are getting the Known World (Mystara) in the reprint and conversion of the Isle of Dread, which had the first expansion of the Known World past Karameikos in its text. It will be an official DnD imprint put out by Goodman Games in partnership with WotC, so they haven't "created" it. I think that fits the bill and qualifies as a sort of troll post.

Excellent point. That has to be what they are referring to.

My main worry was that GMG would be forced to edit out the Known World information from the Isle of Dread replicas. Hopefully this confirms that it will be included?

-Havard

guachi

Hero
I would change that to: Because in spite of having a large an extremely loyal fan base, WotC have admitted that they don't understand what the setting is about and think that the AD&D 2nd Ed iteration of the setting was a good representation of that setting when the real appeal of that world really lies in the amazing Gazetteer series and the BECMI rulesets, something WotC has even applogized for. ;)

But yeah, it surely won't be Mystara.

I am a bit frustrated with the trolling.

"Trolling" was the word I was looking for. Wizard's marketing is not entirely dissimilar to trolling.

Based on how they have been positioning the GGtR vis a vis lootability, WotC seems to be trying to make setting books that are useful to homebrewers: PC options, monsters, variant rules and adventure building blocks.
I have mixed feelings about that, because I buy campaign setting books for the campaign setting. Not generic options.
I hated when they did that in 4e and the Dark Sun book was more PC splatbook that guide to the world.
A few stealable options are good, but the majority needs to make my job easier as a DM by making it so I don't have to invent an entire world.

The Forgotten Realms has the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, which they continue to point to in the adventure books that double as Gazeeters for different parts of Farun. I don't know if they will do more than that to support the Realms, which is a fair bit in comparison.
True, but they're going farther and farther away from the Sword Coast. They've done, what, five storylines there? They might move elsewhere, which would necessitate a larger look at the world. And a lot of that has changed since the last few books.

Plus, as I said, they need to do one dedicated FR book each year. (Something like Guide to Everything probably doesn't count.) If they do a campaign guide, the adventure doesn't need to be set in the Realms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Excellent point. That has to be what they are referring to.

My main worry was that GMG would be forced to edit out the Known World information from the Isle of Dread replicas. Hopefully this confirms that it will be included?

-Havard

Doubtful that they are referring to the Isle of Dread book.

That book is reprinting the entire original, however, and looks to have an essay by Lawrence Schick about the original of the Known World in the Kent State game he was in with Tom Moldvay.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have mixed feelings about that, because I buy campaign setting books for the campaign setting. Not generic options.
I hated when they did that in 4e and the Dark Sun book was more PC splatbook that guide to the world.
A few stealable options are good, but the majority needs to make my job easier as a DM by making it so I don't have to invent an entire world.

It does seem to be their new game plan for setting material: YMMV.
True, but they're going farther and farther away from the Sword Coast. They've done, what, five storylines there? They might move elsewhere, which would necessitate a larger look at the world. And a lot of that has changed since the last few books.

Plus, as I said, they need to do one dedicated FR book each year. (Something like Guide to Everything probably doesn't count.) If they do a campaign guide, the adventure doesn't need to be set in the Realms.

Based on several of the clues out there (the new IDW comic coming this spring about seafsfing on the Sea of Swords, the giant pirate ship mini from WizKids, the clues about Lantan in recent adventures, etc.) I'm betting the next storyline is about being at sea along the Sword Coast still. Areas beyond the Sword Coast are still doable on an AP-by-AP basis. I've seen Perkins direct people to the Grey Box or 3E FRCG on the D sGuild as still being relevant for 5E purposes. SCAG is almost certainly it as far as their setting guide plans.

gyor

Legend
It does seem to be their new game plan for setting material: YMMV.

Based on several of the clues out there (the new IDW comic coming this spring about seafsfing on the Sea of Swords, the giant pirate ship mini from WizKids, the clues about Lantan in recent adventures, etc.) I'm betting the next storyline is about being at sea along the Sword Coast still. Areas beyond the Sword Coast are still doable on an AP-by-AP basis. I've seen Perkins direct people to the Grey Box or 3E FRCG on the D sGuild as still being relevant for 5E purposes. SCAG is almost certainly it as far as their setting guide plans.

That is really bad advice on his part. For one thing most of the NPCs are dead.

Many of the nations are different. If you read the SCAG and compare it to the previous edition books you will see a lot of things that don't fit together.

Remove ads

Remove ads