D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

The roots of D&D is in Grayhawk, but this was created by Gary Gygax and now it is too "fixed" to can add new things, for example an oriental continent. We can't see the Grayhawk equivalent of Kara-Tur, al-Qadim or Maztica because then lots of fans would say it is a "jump the shark", too big changes.

I don't play collectable cards at all, but the lore of M:tG has some good ideas to not be used in D&D.

* Forgotten Realms is more famous because the videogame "Baldruc's Gate" opened a lot of doors, many people discovered this world thanks the videogame. Maybe the rest of D&D worlds only need a videogame, or blockbuster movie.

* Do you imagine Ravenloft to be used for new novels of supernatural romance?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I really just want a Hardcover 5e Eberron guide to go with all my other 5e hardcover books.

Might be impractical, but there you have it.

The roots of D&D is in Grayhawk, but this was created by Gary Gygax and now it is too "fixed" to can add new things, for example an oriental continent. We can't see the Grayhawk equivalent of Kara-Tur, al-Qadim or Maztica because then lots of fans would say it is a "jump the shark", too big changes.
I'm pretty sure Kara-Tur was originally meant for Oerth, the 1e version even references things from Oerth, before it got dumped into Forgotten Realms. I also think the short-lived tactical miniatures game from the 3e era named "Chainmail" (but not the original one) sort of added a continent or other nations to Oerth such as a Communist Dwarf nation. Though it's original content was very loosely connected to that world.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really just want a Hardcover 5e Eberron guide to go with all my other 5e hardcover books.

Hardly impractical, I think it's likely to see the light of day in the next few years.

I'm fairly confident in my guess that Stewart is teasing about exactly an Eberron hardcover.

guachi

Hero
How would you feel if that hardcover Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was print-on-demand via the DMsGuild?
What if it was softcover? Would that still be okay?

I think POD is a great way to go for potentially low volume products. They could be official releases with the WotC seal of approval but not generally released to the print market. Users who get their content digitally already wouldn't see any difference but they'd get access to the product via DnD Beyond or Fantasy Grounds that they wouldn't if the release were DMs Guild only.

While not an expert on GH but I believe that Oerth has Human Ethnic groups such as Oman (Mayans), Suel (Scandinavians), Flan (Celtics or Native Americans, it's sort of unclear to me), Baklun (Ottoman/Turks) and Rhenee (Roma/Gypsies).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Greyhaw already has Arabic/Persian-inspired lands and people as well as Aztec/Maya-inspired cultures. Kar-Tur was origially planned to be an expansion to Greyhawk as advertised in Dragon magazine (but that changed before publication), and Gygax described Asian-inspired lands (Suhfang, etc.) in his Greyhawk novels, and the expanded Greyhawk map has many lands (including Asian-inspied ones) annotated. So, no.

epithet

Explorer
The equivalent of Kara-Tur is in the Southern hemisphere on the same continent. Follow the coastline around the Amedio Jungle and keep going West, you can't miss it. You could also cross the Dry Steppes and get there overland. The equivalent of Maztica is the Amedio and Hepmonaland. Step pyramids, feathered serpents, etc. are all present in great profusion (see, eg, the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.) Your al-Qadim is the Baklunish West, or farther to the West you have the great deserts South of the Empire of Lynn.

So... we've already seen those equivalents, years and editions ago.

Edit: [MENTION=6563]Azzy[/MENTION] beat me to it.

If you're okay with DMsGuild Print-on-Demand it's not very impractical at all. I have a few PoD books from there, both hard cover and soft.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

When I was using Greyhawk, Kara-Tur was on the same planet.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases