Dragon Reflections #16 – Gygax Fights Back!

The Dragon Issue 16 was published in July 1978. It is 40 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. In this issue we Eric Holmes talks Cthulhu, we learn why clerics and wizards can't use swords, and Gary Gygax hits back at his critics and talks about realism in D&D!

d16.jpg

I must start by mentioning the wonderfully dramatic cover by Dean Morrissey, depicting an ancient warrior reaching for his sword as he stares defiantly into an oncoming storm. Morrissey painted many other covers for The Dragon, including the celebrated "Wingship" of Dragon #91.

Editor Tim Kask is once more on the defensive for publishing fiction, and writes:

"Due to the length of the conclusion of THE GREEN MAGICIAN, we found it necessary to add an additional four pages this issue. Contrary to what some Philistines might think, this is not a fiction magazine. The Philistines I refer to are the ones that don’t want to see any fiction at all in these pages. To forestall the howls, the extra four pages were added to compensate, not that the story NEEDS compensating for."​

Kask always wore his heart on his sleeve, which is what makes his editorials so readable, even after all these years. He goes on to complain that so many gamers lack a sense of humor, which meant the amateur 'zines were now full of "vitriol and bickering" and "satire goes unnoticed and/or unappreciated; humor is unwelcome."

Mark Ratner, the creator of the Space Marines miniatures game, shares new rules for Metamorphosis Alpha, giving some much-needed buffs to mutant animal PCs. With TSR soon to release Gamma World, this would be one of the last MA articles published in The Dragon.

Jerome Arkenberg gives some more mythic stats, this time for "Near Eastern" gods such as An, Marduk, and Baal. I am curious as to whether Deities and Demi-gods used Arkenberg's work at all. I'll have to do some research when I get a moment.

Speaking of mythic stats, you may recall that Eric Holmes and Rob Kuntz published statistics for the Cthulhu mythos in The Dragon #12. This generated a critical response from Gerald Guinn in The Dragon #14, taking apart the statistics monster by monster. Eric Holmes responds in kind in this issue, first noting that "when one gets into religious controversy the first thing one discovers is that the scriptures are themselves self-contradictory or are subject to varying interpretations." He gives his point-by-point rebuttal, before suggesting that Lovecraft himself would find such a debate hilarious.

This issue includes a new NPC class, the Ninja. These NPC classes always puzzled me a bit, as they supplied all the information you would need to play the class, and then insisted they were strictly NPC only. Players would have to wait a few years before getting an official Ninja class, but this article looks well researched.

Jim Ward shares another one of Monty Haul's adventures, and this one really plays into the eponymous stereotype. Ward says, "I had decided to take my little thirteenth level wizard. He was kind of weak, having only sixty-nine hit points and eighteen’s in all his categories save strength... Tom complained that all he had left were demi-gods and so we made him start out with a new character at the twelfth level. It served him right, having to start out all over like that." The article is also notable as containing (I believe) the first mention of the word "Drow" in the magazine's history.

There is a short piece titled "Why Magic Users and Clerics Cannot Use Swords", which gives a somewhat labored answer to this question. It essentially comes down to a curse laid on the land long ago. How dull. I'm grateful for the rather more elegant solution 5e came up with to address this issue.

By far the most interesting article is "Role-Playing: Realism vs. Game Logic; Spell Points, Vanity Press and Rip-offs" by Gary Gygax, published in the "From the Sorcerer's Scroll" column. It is classic Gygax, too, covering a swathe of topics in a tone that permits no argument. It's an important article and I will spend some time working through it.

Gygax starts by reminding everyone of his company's preeminent place in the hobby, noting that TSR originated "the concept of a paper & pencil fantasy role-playing game." He then shares an ongoing frustration:

"I do admit to becoming a trifle irritated at times to read an article in some obscure D&D fan magazine or a letter to the editor of some small publication which attacks the game — or claims to be sure to improve D&D if only their new and “improved” rules are followed — with ill-conceived or asinine logic."​

He then describes the most common complaint:

"Interestingly, most of the variant systems which purport to “improve” the game are presented under the banner of realism... “Realism” has become a bugaboo in the hobby, and all too many of the publishers... make offerings to this god too frequently. The very definition of a game gives the lie to this false diety... A game is real, but its subject matter can, at most, give only a “sense” of what actually took place or exists."​

Gygax goes on to describe what he thinks makes D&D fun, and why he rejected a more sophisticated combat system:

"In general, the enjoyment of D&D is the fantasy: identification with a supernormal character, the challenges presented to this character as he or she seeks to gain gold and glory... the images conjured up in participants’ minds as they explore weird labyrinths underground and forsaken wildernesses above, and of course the satisfaction of defeating opponents and gaining some fabulous treasure. This is the stuff of which D&D is made. Protracted combat situations which stress “realism” will destroy the popularity of the game... The players desire action, but all but the odd few will readily tell you that endless die rolling to determine where a hit lands, having to specify what sort of attack is being made, how their character will defend against an attack, and so on are the opposite of action; they are tedious."​

Gygax aimed to create a fun game, not some sort of medieval combat simulator. The subsequent years would see some remarkably complicated RPG systems published, with the complexity justified in the name of "realism". Such systems had their fans, but not that many. And it's not too much of a stretch to say the "game first" mentality is one of the reasons for 5E's phenomenal success. Having dealt with the realism bugbear, Gygax moves on to address the other major criticism coming out of the amateur press:

"Certain small publishers of amateur magazines or second-rate work have accused TSR of maintaining a proprietary interest in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS from a purely mercenary motivation. This is usually because they have fervent desire to trade on D&D’s repute and make a reputation or quick buck on its merits rather than their own. Oddly enough, some individuals also fault TSR for being careful to protect its trade marks and copyrights and reputation, blandly faulting a desire to profit from our labors."​

The accusation is familiar to anyone who does creative work and seeks some form of compensation for it. Many will quickly tell you that you should be giving your work away for free, and some are almost morally offended at the thought of paying a few dollars for your hard work. Gygax then explains why TSR has been so hard-nosed about preventing people from claiming their products are "compatible" with D&D:

"...we also take every possible step to prevent exploitation of D&D enthusiasts by publishers who hide shoddy products under a fantasy role playing guise. We cannot stop them from putting worthless material into print, but we can certainly make it clear that it is neither recommended nor approved for use with DUNGEONS & DRAGONS."​

Those who know their RPG history will appreciate the irony in some of these comments. It was only a few years later that Gygax would find himself the target of TSR litigation, all done in the name of protecting their IP and the integrity of D&D.

All that aside, this is a very important essay, giving valuable insight into the design philosophy behind D&D, and also the rationale for TSR to be so heavily litigious. And it is also great fun to read!

Next issue, we get Vampires, Angels, and Tesseracts!

This article was contributed by M.T. Black as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. M.T. Black is a game designer and DMs Guild Adept. Please follow him on Twitter @mtblack2567 and sign up to his mailing list. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Last edited by a moderator:

M.T. Black

M.T. Black

Oh, OK. That much I knew. I was expecting some sort of lore reason why they didn't have proficiency in a sword. But, yes, I get it; the proficiency rule means that you don't need a lore reason to completely forbid trying it.

Of course, this is hardly new with 5e. 3e had a similar system. Lots of other RPGs have something similar. (Probably the earliest one I'm aware of is skill defaulting in GURPS, but I'm sure there were things before that.)

That's true, but I found the weapon proficiency systems in earlier versions to be a bit clunkier (I don't know about 4e as I never played it). The way 5e handles weapon proficiency feels really seamless to me, very elegant. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The magazine is hitting its stride. I think multiple articles from this issue would be on Best of Dragon.

Realism, in some form or another, exerted a huge influence on RPGs up through the 90s. Even after that, there was a perception that a certain amount of crunch and complexity was desired by more serious fans.

Now realism seems sort of quaint. I guess there is still "verisimilitude".

I remember, when I first started gaming, the familiar and prevailant debate in the roleplaying hobby was all about 'realism'.

RuneQuest was THE alternative game that challenged D&D, and it first came out in 1978, so maybe Gygax's words are a response to that challenge. RuneQuest was generally percieved as amuch more 'realistic' game system, and was rooted in the interpretations of live action historical re-enactment enthusiasts.

The debate through the 1980s tended to be coined as "Role-playing vs Roll-Playing", which was a nascent form of debate to what eventually seems to have been coined as "Narrativism vs Simulationism" in the 1990s.

However, I think the real issue that people had with D&D was actually less to do with realistic simulation as it was to do with illogical rules and restrictions in the D&D/AD&D game. Wizards and Clerics can't use swords? Only Thieves can use skills? Fire and Forget spells? Female characters can't have a Strength more than 16?

The issue in all of these is not so much an issue with 'realism' as it is with not being able to play with the options you want to make the character you want.

Realism, in some form or another, exerted a huge influence on RPGs up through the 90s. Even after that, there was a perception that a certain amount of crunch and complexity was desired by more serious fans.

Yeah, my son and I had a look through Cyberpunk 2020 on the weekend, figuring out the combat system. Gosh, so many tables to look up, and so many little sub-systems to manage! It looked like a pretty good simulation, but it's not really what I go for in terms of gameplay.

I remember, when I first started gaming, the familiar and prevailant debate in the roleplaying hobby was all about 'realism'.

RuneQuest was THE alternative game that challenged D&D, and it first came out in 1978, so maybe Gygax's words are a response to that challenge. RuneQuest was generally percieved as amuch more 'realistic' game system, and was rooted in the interpretations of live action historical re-enactment enthusiasts.

The debate through the 1980s tended to be coined as "Role-playing vs Roll-Playing", which was a nascent form of debate to what eventually seems to have been coined as "Narrativism vs Simulationism" in the 1990s.

However, I think the real issue that people had with D&D was actually less to do with realistic simulation as it was to do with illogical rules and restrictions in the D&D/AD&D game. Wizards and Clerics can't use swords? Only Thieves can use skills? Fire and Forget spells? Female characters can't have a Strength more than 16?

The issue in all of these is not so much an issue with 'realism' as it is with not being able to play with the options you want to make the character you want.

Don't forget Chivalry and Sorcery. It came out at about the same time (? 1977-78) and took the medieval setting to extremes of "realism". So much so that combat was complex and magic close to unworkable as I recall... although maybe not so much by modern standards. I still remember magic users having to spend months enchanting their focus so they could cast a spell. The detailed medieval feudal world building material was (to me) more useful than the game itself. And the later supplements on Vikings, Celts, and steppes nomads were great background material as well. Expeditious Retreat Press did some great world building material like this later (without the game system attached).

As usual, fun article, has me running back through my thoughts and game practices at the time. It's nice to remember how I got here and useful to think back to the "whys" of it. Thanks again MT!

Yeah, my son and I had a look through Cyberpunk 2020 on the weekend, figuring out the combat system. Gosh, so many tables to look up, and so many little sub-systems to manage! It looked like a pretty good simulation, but it's not really what I go for in terms of gameplay.
I think you might find that D&D/AD&D back then had more tables and sub-systems to manage.

Dioltach

Legend

These arbitrary rules were always one of my big beefs with earlier editions of D&D. No Elven Rangers. Only Human Paladins. Demihumans live longer, so they can't progress beyond certain levels.

Jacqual

Explorer
TrippyHippy - Today, 12:06 AM

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by M.T. Black

I think you might find that D&D/AD&D back then had more tables and sub-systems to manage.​

Yes CP2020 was a breeze compared to 1st edition/2nd edition with all the attack tables, saving throw table, then you add in treasure tables, and on in on it went. But I love my old editions of D&D and I also like my CP2020

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases