Does 5e need its own, original TOMB OF HORRORS?

Should 5e have its own "Tomb of Horrors" type module?

• Yes! 5e deserves its own Tomb of Horrors!

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • No! That sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Poll closed .

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, we do have Dungeon of the Mad Mage coming out tomorrow: I personally doubt many of us will ever see the end of it, but it might generate some share experiences and fun stories.

That has actually been the adventure design philosophy throughout 5E: try to provide springboards for shared experiences and stories. Adventure Zone started their major arc in the Lost Mines, for instance.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I might suggest that they've already tried to accomplish it with Chris Perkins & Scott Kurtz's adventure 'The Mines of Madness' that was produced for PAX East 2013 during D&D Next. It is very much a Tomb of Horrors type of bonegrinder dungeon crawl.

You could also suggest that the final site in Tomb of Annihilation is also a spiritual sequel to ToH, although because it is only one part of a much larger campaign path, the site itself won't take on the same legacy as ToH. Which is why I think Mines of Madness might be a better equivalent.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting! I am not familiar with Mines of Madness; I would think that to really hit the sweetspot, it would have to be re-released in official form for sale. Or even as part of a "all new" anthology (like Yawning Portal, but with all new material for 5e).

It had been free on DMsGuild, but they took it down some time ago. Given that it was well received (it was fuuuun), and that they used Dead in Thay in TftYP, AND that Mearls admitted as recently as Tuesday that they are "looking into" doing a similar book because TFtYP was successful...I could see it making a comeback.

It was a low-ish level Dungeon, though, not Tomb of Horrors league, just bonkers like ToH.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Huh?

If you want to say "have an original, innovative, and dangerous adventure" don't use the name of another adventure! ToH is ToH, and each edition has had some version or versions of it. Been there done that, the very connotation is the opposite of new or original.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases