How do you stat out rulers such as kings and queens in your games?

cmad1977

Hero
Kings/generals etc have anywhere between 1 and ‘a lot’ of hit points.
Not every King is a hero, not every general got their position through glorious battle.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A lot of people have said they don’t bother. Assuming the OP wants to, that’s all the justification needed so those answers probably aren’t all that helpful.

So to answer the OPs question, the answer depends solely on the background of the monarch. Could be a 0 level person, or a 20th level person, depending on how they spent their life. Shaka Zulu will have much different stats than Marie Antoinette

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kings and queens to not typically hold their position due to right of personal arms or personal physical prowess. They hold the role by tradition and political acumen. Any writeup that gives them some understanding of History, a decent Insight, and decent scores in, say, Diplomacy, Deception, and Persuasion would do.

Satyrn

First Post
A lot of people have said they don’t bother. Assuming the OP wants to, that’s all the justification needed so those answers probably aren’t all that helpful.

Sure. Of course that's the only justification he needs.

Besides I don't think any us saying we don't bother were telling him not to. I know I wasn't.

And a question for you: By telling him I don't bother, I am explicitly answering the first question* the OP poses. While I could have been more helpful by answering the last question** he poses (you didn't answer it either, by the way), I don't get how you conclude that answering half of his questions is probably not helping. What's your beef?

*it's right there the thread title.

**I'll quote it: "anybody care to post or direct me to such stats (not the whole thing, just something like "King Blueface of Nothingham - 15th level fighter" is all I really need to gauge how tough rulers were in prior editions.) "

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Saying “I don’t bother” is about as helpful as saying to someone who askes “How do you make bacon mashed potatoes” with “I don't bother.”

Technically I suppose it’s an answer, but not terribly helpful.

I don’t have a beef. Just pointing that out is all. And I did answer the second part by my first answer. I.e., why would I link to a statblock somewhere when I just said it all depends and there isn’t any handy statblock?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
ENWorld EN5ider published a class option you might find helpful in Chessmasters and Commanders: The Noble, which is also included in the anathology A Touch of Class. If you become a Patreon supporter, I think you still get access to all the past articles. Otherwise, A Touch of Class is available in DMs Guild.

What I like about the EN5ider Noble class is that is more about leading. It can make minions much more effective without making every leader an uber-powereful warrior.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
For me it really depends. What's the culture? The barbarian kingdoms where there are self-proclaimed nobles and kings in every other valley? Or the more settled lands where wars are fought by proxy, trade and guile?

I've had rulers who were secretly ancient red dragons with additional levels of sorcerer and rulers who had 10 HP but diplomacy/deception/insight that were extremely high because it made sense for the vision of the character that I had. I make the NPC to fit the role, which means I don't always follow the rules for monsters or PCs. I liked the concepts of NPC classes from previous editions, but it never made sense to me that just because someone has achieved high levels of competence at their profession there's no reason they would be any harder to kill in a fight (as measured by HP).

So put me in with the crowd of "make the stats that make sense".

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
For a ruler, I am usually going to stat it out like this: 12 inches on one side, and 30 cm on the other. I then break each side down further, with 1/16th marks on the inch side, and mm marks on the cm side. I usually place larger tick marks at regions like 1/2 inch, and 1/4 inch.

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

One of the things that concerns me if that if the monarchs don't have good HP and AC, then any low-level PC group can bump 'em off with ease and grab the royal crown, etc. Granted they have guards and knights, but they aren't always surrounded by them.

Remove ads