Mythological Figures: Odysseus/Ulysses (5E)

In Mythological Figures today we’re headed after a person that is more popular in terms of ancient Western mythologies than probably anyone else: Odysseus/Ulysses!

In Mythological Figures today we’re headed after a person that is more popular in terms of ancient Western mythologies than probably anyone else: Odysseus/Ulysses!

7PI0IRUOkxxqyRV1L6xOmUTr5q2rAvDbUrn9doPLoZZGPCvAFp-UYZxUe8mA42mD2qFN5IpHr3NGhWExBd_eBiXXxNHimpQWiLos2mhulAEEDnQOqCU1ErAPm11TozO8I-wNs5v2

Odysseus is known for two principal things: his role in the Trojan War (recounted in The Illiad) and his long, perilous journey back home collectively known as The Odyssey. If you find yourself saying, “that word looks familiar…” that’s what I’m talking about with Odysseus’ lasting popularity--the whole reason we have a word for “a long series of wanderings or adventures, especially when filled with notable experiences, hardships, etc.” is this guy right here. I’ve no intention to repeat the entirety of that trip here and instead refer folks to better resources for that (Wikipedia, Video SparkNotes, full text at The Internet Classics Archive). Suffice to say that of the many greek heroes, Odysseus is Captain Greece.

Design Notes: Odysseus needs to be a few things--he’s got to be clever and wise, have some agility, he’s not weak, and he’s good with a bow. With that in mind we’ve got our first ranged battlemaster build with a healthy dose of mastermind rogue to reflect his legendary cunning. The archery fighting style and a smattering of feats fill out the rest of his iconic profile, with Expertise ramping up the essential skills for his many successes to whopping +15s. For the CR equation this time around the DMG said 10.6, the Blog of Holding rubric claimed 11, and I’m inclined to agree with the latter--Odysseus here is definitely a considerably dangerous foe and as long as he’s not wasted in a suicidal charge will be an NPC that adventurers will quickly decide to focus their ire upon.

Odysseus
Medium humanoid (human), rogue (genius) 9/fighter (master of battle) 11

Armor Class
17 (breastplate or 19 with shield)
Hit Points 101 (9d8+11d10)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
12 (+1)​
16 (+3)​
10 (+0)​
16 (+3)​
16 (+3)​
14 (+2)​

Saving Throws Dex +9, Int +9
Skills Deception +14, History +9, Insight +15, Investigation +15, Perception +9, Persuasion +14
Tools gaming set +6, thieves’ tools +6
Senses passive Perception 19
Languages Common, two other languages
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)

Background: Noble - Prince. Due to his position as a noble, Odysseus is treated with a measure of respect wherever he goes. He is treated as royalty (or as closely as possible) by most peasants and traders (at least until it is clear he is quite mad), and as an equal when meeting other authority figures (who make time in their schedule to see him if requested to do so).

Action Surge (1/Short Rest). Once on his turn, Odysseus can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.

Cunning Action (1/Turn). Odysseus can take a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, Help, or Hide action.

Evasion. When Odysseus is subjected to an effect that allows him to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, he instead takes no damage if he succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if he fails.

Fast Learner. After Odysseus has heard a creature speak for 1 minute or longer, he can mimic its manner of speaking as long as he knows the same language as the creature (allowing him to seem like he is local to a given region).

Feat: Brilliant. Odysseus always knows how long it will be before the next sunset or sunrise, the northerly direction, and can perfectly remember anything he’s experienced within the last 31 days.

Feat: Diplomatic. Odysseus can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the Wisdom (Insight) check of a creature that can understand what he says during 1 minute of talking. On a success, as long as Odysseus remains within 60 feet of it (and for 1 minute afterward) the target is charmed by him. Odysseus automatically fails on the check if he or his companions are fighting the target.

Feat: Moderate Protection Master. Odysseus adds +3 from Dexterity instead of +2 when he is wearing medium armor.

Feat: Superb Aim. Odysseus ignores half cover and three-quarters cover when making a ranged weapon attack, and he doesn’t have disadvantage when attacking at long range. When Odysseus makes his first ranged weapon attack in a turn, he can choose to take a -5 penalty to his ranged weapon attack rolls in exchange for a +10 bonus to ranged weapon damage.

Indomitable (1/Long Rest). Odysseus can reroll a saving throw that he fails but must use the new roll.

Maneuver Master (5d10/Short Rest). Odysseus can expend a maneuver dice to perform a single maneuver with an attack.

• Command. Odysseus uses his bonus action to forgo one of his attacks and direct a friendly creature who can see or hear him. The creature uses its reaction and makes a weapon attack, dealing 1d10 extra weapon damage on a successful hit.
  • Disarm. A creature Odysseus has hit with an attack takes 1d10 additional damage and makes a DC 17 Strength saving throw or drops one held item of his choice.
  • Inspire. Odysseus uses a bonus action and chooses an ally able to see and hear him. That ally gains 1d10+2 temporary hit points.
  • Maneuver. On a successful hit with a weapon attack, Odysseus deals 1d10 extra damage and chooses a friendly creature that can see and hear him. That creature can move half its speed by using its reaction. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks from the target of Odysseus’ attack.
  • Trip. Odysseus deals 1d10 additional damage and if the target is a creature of Large size or smaller, it makes a DC 17 Strength saving throw or is knocked prone.

Second Wind (1/Short Rest). On his turn, Odysseus can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+11 hit points.

Sneak Attack (1/Turn). Odysseus deals an extra 17 (5d6) damage when he hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of Odysseus that isn’t incapacitated and Odysseus doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Tactician. Odysseus is able to use the Help action to aid an ally attacking a creature as long as the target of the attack is able to see and hear Odysseus and is within 30 feet of him.

Tactician’s Insight. After Odysseus has observed or interacted with a creature for 1 minute, he learns whether or not it has higher or lower Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma scores than him. In addition, he learns if the target has more or fewer class levels than him. Odysseus also knows when he and the target have equal scores in one of these categories.

ACTIONS

Extra Attack. Odysseus attacks three times.
Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage.
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, range 600 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+3) piercing damage.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I agree that Mike's build is too low on STR and I have suggested moving some points from CHA, DEX, INT, WIS etc (capture some of those traits through prof. + expertise) to his STR score. The trick is to try to do it within the confines of a PC build using the standard array / point buy.

Also I know it has been a long time since I took classics, but I never remember Strength being a core trait of Odysseus. .

The whole only he could string his bow thing was about Strength and generally because the god types even indirectly were considered strong ones. Yes its a bit of tough one to emphasize smart fighting types in this latest edition. Technically I think in active story application Cleverness (probably Charismatic I think but Intelligence is good too) and Durability (Con) are probably the abilities he gets to exercise the most. so based on active adventuring parts activity the Strength is mildly a token awesomeness (I understand why it was tempting to let it drop just not finding it at all satisfying with it being highlighted in such an obvious way even if not over persistently)

I will give 5e some credits it is easier to have a characters whose attack ability is based on Dex without worrying much so it enables other builds like Mulan actually pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
First, thank you as always for your time and effort.

I haven't done an indepth look yet, but I find it a bit odd that a 20th level character for D&D doesn't have at least on stat maxed or at least an 18. However, in general I like the build it covers the majority of his diverse qualities I think.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm familiar with the Happy Hour warlord but disagree with the assertion that it'd be a good fit for Odysseus. Does he do a lot with his minions other than, like, constantly sacrifice them? Over and over? I mean some walk away alive or escape otherwise but none of my readings of the Odyssey (which were done more than a decade ago) gave me the sense that "this is a commander, it was much more "this is one canny bastard and being his friend is dangerous".

I know, right?

Warlock (pact with Athena) fits better than Warlord.

Here are some abilities that an Odysseus class might have:

Secret Vagabond
You may cast Disguise Self at will.

All In the Name of Fame
When your party has successfully eluded an enemy, you may taunt the enemy, alerting him to your presence. Doing so gives you (but not your companions) the equivalent of a Sanctuary spell. If you survive you get double XP as if you had defeated the enemy, plus bonus XP for each of your companions who dies.

Reluctant Warrior
For each round of a battle that you sit out at the beginning of a combat, gain +1 to all attack rolls and saving throws for the remainder of that combat. Alternately, you can sit out the whole thing and get full XP as if you had defeated the enemy, plus bonus XP for each of your companions who dies.

It's not a coincidence that "Odysseus" sounds like "odious". Same root.

Pauln6

Hero
The only possible issue is that he was the only one strong enough to string his bow so he needs either a higher base strength or something to give him expertise or advantage on athletics?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Citation needed.

From somewhere legitimate.
This is a well-established idea in the scholarly literature. See, e.g. Caroline Sutherland, "Archery in the Homeric Epics", Classics Ireland 8 (2001) 111-20. I've attached the first page, where the presumption is at the start of the second paragraph.

It's not certain, because Homer doesn't give enough information, but it is the explanation that accounts for what is in the poems, and I (at least) know of no other explanation that does. View attachment 103484

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
All In the Name of Fame
When your party has successfully eluded an enemy, you may taunt the enemy, alerting him to your presence.
LOL That one I write off as reason for low Wisdom

It's not a coincidence that "Odysseus" sounds like "odious". Same root.
The romans Definitely considered Ullyses to be nefarious... and not honorable

Of course Achilles was a bloody jerk too...

I wonder if there were differences in the stories from the Greek and Roman perspectives

So here's a solution: a new kind of bow on the weapon list, that is neither Martial nor Simple, but rather "Exotic" or "Other". Its description includes that if you don't have proficiency it's an Athletics DC of 25 to string it. Odysseus spends a Feat gaining proficiency.
The way 5e handles bows is far too outlandish already for me to really protest, but in actual archery there's no magic trick (short of mechanical aid) that will allow you to string a bow, recurve or otherwise, without the exertion of strength. If you want to translate the concept to D&D, the relevant proficiency would be Athletics letting you add a bonus to your Strength check by using proper technique. Still a Strength check.

And then, remember, Odysseus pulls the bow. Again, no magic trick that will let you pull a hundred-pound bow without exerting a hundred pounds of force.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hmm. It seems my first comment disappeared. So I will make a new one!

In general I like it, but it seems odd that a 20th level character would not have a maxed stat or at least one stat at 18. Odysseus is a hard one because he as basically good at everything. He should probably have higher strength, but there is only so much room for improvement. I don't recall him being overly dexterous

I assumed it was a mechanical concession to light or little armor that was featured in the era.

I too am going to take the moment to Thank Mike for his efforts the conversation opening alone is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads