Your Favorite Character... That You Barely/Never Got to Play

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Good thread. Now I'm thinking of characters I want to play.

I think I've figured out my next cleric personality. A cleric that constantly tries to push the boundaries of what his God will let him get away with and always tries to justify the things he does by the letter of his gods tenets/commands/etc.

KenNYC

Explorer
I have a couple of characters that appear in the D&D multiverse at various tables. My go to avatar is Sir Percy, the LG Paladin of such nobility your teeth could rot from the sweetness. His dream is to serve his fellow man and he yearns for the day he can find a king so noble that to kneel would be a joy. The sadness is no such king could possible exist who could be so good that even Percy would be in awe save for Percy himself, but his need to serve prevents him from ever taking a position of higher authority. And so he continues to serve his fellow man ever on the lookout for someone even more pure than he. He's good to have in a party because not only will he always volunteer to be on the front line so he can die so that you might live, but if you are tired he will gladly take your watch for you and you will even find a hearty meal waiting for you when you awake. He is a natural leader and hopefully inspires others to find their inner nobility.

Another character I have revisted a few times is Father Sun, the lecherous cleric who (being a priest) of course enjoys parties filled with high charisma youngish men. He is LN with a sadistic side who feels all sin must be punished and no man is without sin. He's crazy basically, and any straying from order needs to be met with harsh punishment.

My third character is your typical LN Wizard who seeks knowledge and power for his own advancement. He is not a leader by any means.

Last edited:

A special Elf variant that has Spiritual Weapon and the 'big zone of holy blades' spells as racial powers, instead of Elven Weapon Training. Use the tiefling innate racial spells as a model. His class: Cleric, of course.

Nothing against your character, but I can see where other DMs would be hesitant to embrace this. You are describing about an L5 at chargen; presumably he would grow from there.
Can you elaborate on those "big zone of holy blades" spells? Couldn't find anything about them. Also what does "an L5 at chargen" mean?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Can you elaborate on those "big zone of holy blades" spells? Couldn't find anything about them. Also what does "an L5 at chargen" mean?
I'm away from books, so I can't look up the spell by name. Pick something from the Cleric list, cantrip or 1st-level or 2nd-level spell, that does approximately what you want (or a powered-down version thereof). Our Yawning Portal campaign's Cleric used to cast something that filled the room with enemies-only damage and stayed up for a while. We were level 10 at the end, so I might be thinking of a spell from higher levels. Spiritual Guardian (always cast centered on yourself) might be something you could re-fluff to get the effect you want.

"An L5 at chargen":
L5 is a fifth-level character. Chargen is character generation.

Retreater

Legend
Oswald Brummelbuck, halfling Rogue in 3rd edition. Left his quiet home to go on an adventure and create a bestiary of the creatures he encountered. Died in the first session.

Dorian_Grey

First Post
2nd Edition AD&D, a dwarf fighter/thief pugilist. I put a lot of work into his backstory and concepts, worked with the party to develop how he started working with them (Family lived in a slum near generic fantasy human city full of racists, chased from mining camp by orcs, character grew up poor and getting into fights, became a prize fighter who got into a fight with a noble who thought he was all that. He was supposed to throw the fight and didn't, thus ended up running). I was really looking forward to playing this character, but the DM decided he didn't want to DM, and I took over DMing... then no one wanted to play 2nd Ed, so we ended up doing something else.

Gaxkang

Villager
I was playing tomb of annihilation and we had arrived in Omu. My character died in one of the early encounters there so I decided to make a more unique character. He a ghost, a revenant of an ancient Chultish warrior who was incarnated into a physical body.

His sole purpose?

To kill all yuan ti

Thats it really. He was a zealot barbarian who really really REALLY hated yuan ti, and traitors ("snakes" of all kinds). I was really looking forward to hacking my way through the yuan ti citadel and leaving a path of bloody carnage and snake bits in my wake. His name was "Snake Eater" which was of no end of amusement to my friends who played metal gear solid.

But we ended up taking another passage through the underdark that bypassed the snake fortress entirely.

Yay.

I ended up ditching that character and bringing back an old paladin of mine. It was a shame though.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

1e AD&D, Assassin (Human) named Darque the Dark (what, I was, like 13 or something). Had ok stats, but I had a backstory and had all this other 'non-mechanical' stuff worked out (goals, loves, hates, family, brothers/sisters, each with age, name mannerisms, NPC 'stats' [1e NPC's have a list of things indicating how pious they are, how greedy, how energetic, etc], and a bunch of other stuff). Everything was worked out and detailed. I had probably put a good 6 to 8 hours into him.

Then, 1st adventure, 1st session, in first 10 minutes...he climbed down into a well (because he was the 'thief'), got surprised by an asp, bitten, and failed my save vs poison and died instantly. Last the group heard was a loud "ker-sploopshshhsss" as he hit the water at the bottom.

Rip, Darque. :(

^_^

Paul L. Ming

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Had a Star Wars character before that group imploded.

She was a 13 year old human girl with a droid arm. Not just a robotic prosthetic, but a "droidified" cybernetic arm, with an astromech brain. I had no pilot skill, but my arm did. Anyway, I was a thief and a tech head, and a bit of a punk kid. Lived in the shell of a junked tramp frieghter (before Rey made it cool lol).

We played a handful of sessions, and through story events she had repressed memories returned to her that revealed that she was force sensitive, had been caught stealing a "valuable art object" from an imperial (a Hand of The Emperor or something, didn't get to find out exactly), and the lady stabbed her arm with the object, which made her start halucinating and getting sick, until a Jedi in hiding found her, cut her arm off, healed her up best he could, gave her a basic cybernetic arm, and smuggled her to another planet, and then repressed her memories.

And then we never played again.

I also have several NPCs that started out as PCs, but campaigns changed hands, and now I get the hollow joy of making sure they don't steal the spotlight without doing something as annoying and forced as coming up with a lame excuse for them to just not be around.

I really miss actually playing Khalid Al Ghurab, Shadar-Kai Monk in Eberron, Inquisitive of Sharn, occasional pit fighter, Last War vet, and one time Arena slave in Droaam.

Was doing a Planescape campaign a while back, created a Abyssal Tiefling Devotion Paladin named Redemption.

Back story was she was born on the first layer of The Abyss in a trading town that managed to survive there for a little while, before the barrier protecting the place went down and killed everyone there but her. She ended up surviving and and wandering around the abyss, but due to the chaotic evil-ness in the place she ended up degenerating into a feral beast running around and killing everything she saw. Eventually she found an abandoned temple that still has some protections over it, so she set up a home base sort of thing there. Over time the temple eroding her exposure to The Abyss and she ended up getting a message from a goddess asking her to be one of her champions and redeeming herself for her actions. After the message, she found a cache of armor and weapons in the temple and took the first portal she saw out of there.

Only played 3 sessions with her, sadly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases