D&D 5E Lets design a Warlord for 5th edition... using only preexisting classes

Gavin O.

First Post
The Warlord seems to be a popular suggestion for homebrews, and as a personal fan of the concept, I thought I'd have a go at trying to make my own. Since I'm never allowed to use homebrew in any of my games though, this will instead be an attempt to piece the Warlord's abilities together from currently existing classes. The thing that prompted me to try this idea was the introduction of the Order domain for Cleric in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, who's first-level feature gives any ally that you target with a spell a free attack using only their reaction. This class feature brings the "giving your allies extra attacks" ability that was previously only available through the inefficient Commander's Strike Manuever. Here's a rough draft of the idea:

Fake Warlord: Half-elf Cleric(1)/Bard(6) Order Domain, College of Blades
Starting Stats 15+1 Str, 10 Dex, 12 Con, 8 Int, 13+1 Wis, 14+2 Cha

The bard isn't a perfect match flavor-wise, but we need the spell slots for Voice of Authority, and Bardic Inspiration could be refluffed as Warlord Inspiration. We have Extra attack, a fighting style (we're taking Dueling), longsword and heavy armor proficiency to help us fight on the front lines, and we can use a bonus action to cast Healing Word on our ally, not only restoring 1d4+3 hit points, but granting them an attack as their reaction.

For those of you who would prefer your Warlord to be a tough Fighter rather than a Bard, here's an alternative built around that class. Eldritch Knight is taken to have access to more spell slots, since Healing Word will once again be our enabler. It's weaker in this build, since it works of our lower Wisdom, but it still allows us to grant our ally a free attack.

Human Cleric(1)/Fighter(6) Order Domain, Eldritch Knight
15+1 Strength, 9+1 Dexterity, 11+1 Constitution, 15+1 Intelligence, 13+1 Wisdom, 8+1 Charisma

Compared to the bard, We're tougher, smarter, and better at weapon-based combat, but we give up most of our spellcasting abilities. If you wanted to stick with Charisma, I'd recommend a Cleric(1)/Paladin(6) (Any oath works) with the same stats as the Bard build.

You could also go Cleric(1)/Fighter(3)/Bard(x) if you know your campaign will reach higher levels. This gives you Action Surge and a second Fighting Style, plus allows you to take Battle Master if you still want Commander's Strike while also having enough spell slots to enable with Healing Word. If you don't want two primary stats, you can dip one level in Hexblade as well for a spell slot that recharges on a short rest plus the ability to attack with your Charisma

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
How about Rogue (Mastermind) 4 / Fighter (Banneret) 4+, Martial Adept Feat x2?

It's a shame that they didn't let the Banneret have superiority dice to add to Persuasion at level 7 (like the playtest scout fighter) instead of double proficiency since that would have synergised better with the martial adept feat.

Last edited:

Martial Adept Feat x2?

Strictly speaking, you can't do that. You're only allowed to select a feat multiple times if that feat explicitly says you can select it multiple times (PHB p165, second paragraph under Feats). Only one feat says that: Elemental Adept.

G

Guest 6801328

Any class who amasses a large paramilitary force and uses them to control an autonomous territory, independently of a recognized legal/geographic entity (although perhaps feigning deference to such).

Now that's a Warlord.

Pauln6

Hero
Strictly speaking, you can't do that. You're only allowed to select a feat multiple times if that feat explicitly says you can select it multiple times (PHB p165, second paragraph under Feats). Only one feat says that: Elemental Adept.

Curses. Inspiring leader instead then? Although personally, if the express purpose was to build a Warlord, 2d6 dice and 4 Warlord manoeuvres is not going to unbalance anything.

Aldarc

Legend
Any class who amasses a large paramilitary force and uses them to control an autonomous territory, independently of a recognized legal/geographic entity (although perhaps feigning deference to such).

Now that's a Warlord.
Why did you feel it necessary to post this? Is there something compelling you to re-instigate old flame wars? :erm:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
How about the College of Glamour instead of the College of Blades? Spending a bonus action and bardic inspiration to give multiple allies temp HP plus a free reaction move that ignores OAs is a rather warlord-y thing to do. And without concentration so you can have some of that buffing going as well.

Yes, that doesn't leave the fauxlord very melee-oriented, but I'd rather have ally-boosting powers. College of Blades only really gets melee-focused when it's spending it's bardic inspiration on itself, which seems the opposite of the feel we want.

Pauln6

Hero
Don't counter attack unless your men are with you, you fool! Withdraw!

If limited to two manoeuvres then I might add a couple of levels of bard for healing word and bardic inspiration.

Tormyr

Adventurer
The War of the Burning Sky Player's Guide has the Commander subclass for fighters. It rewards players who make a Charisma-based fighter. The Commander gets a number of uses of Leader Tactics equal to their Charisma modifier to use with a small squad of allies, starting with 2 and progressing to 4 at level 17. The commander uses a bonus action* to give an order or shout a word of encouragement. These uses of leader tactics sometimes require the allies to use their reaction but include things like moving and making a single attack or Disengage or use a cantrip, get a second chance on a saving throw against a mind-affecting effect, get temp hit points equal to a Charisma (Performance) check, or get advantage on attack rolls against a target. Its level 17 ability is equivalent to a weaker surprise round (only movement and an action, no bonus action) once per day.

*Says "action" in the player's guide, will be "bonus action" in the errata.

Gavin O.

First Post
How about the College of Glamour instead of the College of Blades? Spending a bonus action and bardic inspiration to give multiple allies temp HP plus a free reaction move that ignores OAs is a rather warlord-y thing to do. And without concentration so you can have some of that buffing going as well.

Yes, that doesn't leave the fauxlord very melee-oriented, but I'd rather have ally-boosting powers. College of Blades only really gets melee-focused when it's spending it's bardic inspiration on itself, which seems the opposite of the feel we want.

You're probably right, Mantle of Inspiration does seem fitting for a Warlord. I took the College of Blades mostly for the Extra Attack, but since we have access to Booming Blade we could use that instead for our melee damage needs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases