Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and The Sea

Interesting. There's an old AD&D 2e "blue book" with that title: Of Ships and the Sea

lkj

Hero
[MENTION=42037]Ik[/MENTION]j

one time one Italian Prime Minister said: "the difference between a project and a dream is respecting a deadline set in stone since the very beginning". is that a good approach? yes, imo.

Eugen Rochko, the founder and main developer of mastodon federated FOSS social network, regularly asks the users about their needs, and clearly and regularly states what is feasible, what is not, when and why. is that a good approach? yes, imo.

is opacity about deadlines (arbitrary? they choose them without caring about any other input, so they are arbitrary for us, not for them) and about the rational behind the development choices a good approach? no, imo. especially when that opacity is accompanied by a lot of (sometimes false) clues about the future and release dates announcements done when the printers are already rolling (and sometimes they have delays also in that case).

So we could go back and forth for a long time on this topic, but I don't really see that we'd get anywhere far (for either of us). Normally, I leave these discussions for others who find them more interesting. Responded on an odd whim earlier today.

So, lets just say we can agree to disagree. I think that they are doing just fine. You don't. Fair enough.

Cheers,
AD

D

DQDesign

What deadlines are we even talking about and why would the DnD team even have to share them with us?
when will the official artificer arrive?
when will the wayfinder's guide be finalized and printed?
when will the official rules for psionics arrive?
when an original, not-mtg-recycled 5E campaign setting will be developed?
will be ever an official revised version of the ranger?
they leaked a photo of a developer's desk on which the greyhawk gazetter was in plain sight. when will 5E greyhawk arrive?
etc.

according to sources (en.wikipedia for example) development of 5E started at the end of 2011/start of 2012. after six years, is still too early to have answers to questions like that?

obviously they are not obliged to share anything, but obviously they can't convince me about having a good schedule and an amazing plan devised to achieve that schedule.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
when will the official artificer arrive?
when will the wayfinder's guide be finalized and printed?
when will the official rules for psionics arrive?
when an original, not-mtg-recycled 5E campaign setting will be developed?
will be ever an official revised version of the ranger?
they leaked a photo of a developer's desk on which the greyhawk gazetter was in plain sight. when will 5E greyhawk arrive?
etc.

according to sources (en.wikipedia for example) development of 5E started at the end of 2011/start of 2012. after six years, is still too early to have answers to questions like that?

obviously they are not obliged to share anything, but obviously they can't convince me about having a good schedule and an amazing plan devised to achieve that schedule.

Please threadcrap elsewhere.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The rules for owning and making money off of a ship look really ill-thought to me. You get a complication if you roll a 1 on any of the 5d20 you roll for determining how much profit the ship makes in a month, and the best result is that you make no money that month, while you can also lose as much per month as you would 'normally' make for 1D6 months, lose your ship for d4 months, have your ship impounded, have you ship captured and have to recover it, or have your ship run off so you have to recover it, kill the crew, and hire a new crew for about two months theoretical profit.

Unless I'm missing something, owning a ship is a massive money sink that often takes you away from your own objectives. It's basically impossible for it to actually profit you over the course of a year, and instead of getting to do adventures based around sailing your ship to interesting places, you're burning money probably stuck rescuing your ship over and over again. If you want a campaign based around constantly saving your own ship then this system is for you!

Yeah, there's a 25% chance that something goes badly. maybe if they changed it to a roll of 2 ones. That'd lower the chance for such disaster significantly.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
is it a personal problem for you? are you part in the delays? do you feel guilty?

Really? I mean, really? Look, you obviously have some axe to grind. So, please start a discussion thread about it and leave those of us that want to discuss the topic of this thread to do so in peace.

D

DQDesign

Really? I mean, really? Look, you obviously have some axe to grind. So, please start a discussion thread about it and leave those of us that want to discuss the topic of this thread to do so in peace.

[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] started complaining about the absence of the artificer in this UA, not me. I just followed the path.

You should read the threads you post in before tagging other users legitimate opinions as 'crap'.

once you'll be polite you'll be left in peace.

Remove ads

Remove ads