What is the default setting of 5e?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
3.x E was Greyhawk, 4e had it's own new cosmology, I cant seem to find out what 5e's default universe/setting is

The core rules don't really have a default setting aside from the "D&D Multiverse" (in that it refers to multiple published settings, and assumes the use of the Great Wheel cosmology). However, the published adventures have all (except for Curse of Strahd) have been set in the Forgotten Realms.

In theory, there isn't one. In practice, it's the Realms. Most official products are Realms-focused. Tales from the Yawning Portal - the Yawning Portal is set in the Realms. Tomb of Annihilation - set in Chult, in the Realms. All the adventures other than Curse of Strahd are Forgotten Realms based, though at least some of them have advice on moving them somewhere else.

WotC has even doubled down on the Forgotten Realms this year with two Waterdeep-based adventures. On the other hand though, they've also published Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron (DM's Guild) and the recent Ravnica book for playing in the Magic: the Gathering setting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd say "official" is nothing, but "default" is Forgotten Realms, if I were to distinguish between the two terms.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The core rules don't really have a default setting aside from the "D&D Multiverse" (in that it refers to multiple published settings, and assumes the use of the Great Wheel cosmology). However, the published adventures have all (except for Curse of Strahd) have been set in the Forgotten Realms.

This.

I'd say "official" is nothing, but "default" is Forgotten Realms, if I were to distinguish between the two terms.

And this.

Remove ads