How important is art to you?

How important is the art?

• Highly important! (professionally done)

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Moderately so. (decent/good drawings, maybe some coloration)

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Not very important. (bad drawings/no art)

Votes: 6 12.5%

Slit518

Adventurer
Say somebody is creating their own custom setting; module; rule book; whatever 5th edition related.

How important is the art quality to you?

Does the art have to be masterpiece quality? Can it be sketches like the 1e D&D books? Would you prefer no art over bad art? Or would you prefer art, as long as you can tell what it is you're looking at?

How do you personally feel about this subject?

The Old Crow

Explorer
I like evocative art, or practical art (i.e. "this is what that heavy door with the runes looks like".) I don't think it is necessary as long as there are good, concise written descriptions. But it can enhance play. I was playing the original Tomb of Horrors a couple of weeks ago, and the art with it was a fun enhancement (don't know if the new 5e Tomb of Horrors is the same with art).

I prefer black and white sketches for things used in play, honestly, just in case it needs to be printed out.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Much of the material I by is for "lonely enjoyment." I buy more than I have time to run. But if I can enjoy the art and writing (and this includes the crunch -- well designed rules are fun for me to read about), I'll not regret my purchase. The art, writing, and general aesthetics of 5e played a huge role into me getting back into RPGs and selecting 5e as the system to use. I really love the 5e books so far.

Also, there are many materials that I'll buy the PDF or other electronic version of and then by the book because the art and layout are so good. WoTC and Kobold Press have both made a lot of money from me, just because they invest in good art (and have decent writing and good editors).

No Thank You Evil! is another TTRPG product that I bought largely for the art. Yes, the system is great for introducing young people to TTRPGs, but the quality are and game aids really make it a pleasure and attractive to kids and adults.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I find that artwork improves my groups understanding of creatures, objects, and locations. Coloring is optional, but good art that is clear and easy on the eyes is a must.

squibbles

Adventurer
The production value of the art, i.e. professionally done, amateur, etc., isn't terribly important to me. But it really makes a setting, a creature, or a character more compelling if it has an evocative picture or two. What makes a picture evocative is hard to say; I suppose it depends on the viewer.

I think poor art or bland art, on the other hand, is a waste of space and money. At its worst, it can make the product it's in less enjoyable to read.

Here's a crotchety OSR take on the subject for those interested.

guachi

Hero
Evocative and/or practical.

Too much of the art for 5e, for example, is neither. I love the simplicity of black and white line drawings because they are clean and clear. We got a lot of that in 1e AD&D and the D&D books.

Too much of the 5e art is too busy to be really good or useful.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't need a lot of art, but I prefer art that looks professional and consistent throughout the work.

Mind you, "professional" can be sketches, there's some well done RPG books that do great with that.

I'd rather have no art then off-putting art. Off-putting: badly executed art, cartoonish, distorted or "silly" art without a particular reason.

Actually, I'd rather a publisher focuses on (a) editing and (b) layout before they spend on art besides the cover. Bad layout can make a book hard to read, and bad editing can make it not only hard to read but hard to use.

Shiroiken

Legend
Personally, art really doesn't usually matter to me in the slightest. I actually love the old black & white (often humorous) sketch art from the 1E days. Unless it's meant to convey something specific, I really don't see the need for it in a rules manual. That said, there are a few pieces that have been used that are breathtaking.

The primary use for good art is for maps (which isn't really art IMO) and creatures. Having a good picture of a creature can be very useful as a DM, especially if the description is light on details. I have made copies of pages, snipped them with scissors, and used them as props for a game (usually with new players). I run a game in roll20, so I use various artworks to create tokens to use, allowing me to use only a quick description before rolling initiative and starting the action.

Laurefindel

Legend
It is said that one shouldn't juge a book by its cover. While I agree with that, it often is the cover that makes me pick the book up in the first place.

Art doesn't make or break a RPG for me, but I will have a huge influence on the way the game is pressented to me, or how I will present it to others. Good art will pique my interest, or consolidate it when I like the premise, style and genre of the game. By "art" I also include layout, font styles, framing, page backgrounds and other "decorative" elements.

I'm a big sucker for art in RPG, and I've bought books before simply for their art and presentation.

For me, no art is better than bad art, but I'm relatively lenient about what many would consider "bad art". Consistency, style and artistic signatures are more important for me than colors, details or "depth". I would much prefer evocative and simple sketches done by the same artist over more elaborate art from many artists with dissimilar styles.

Art is part of presentation. I consider the character sheet as a RPG's Curriculum vitae, the game's reviews and broad description as recommendation letters, and its art and layout as the first interview. I rarely get sold on mechanics alone. Even my own homebrewed work-in-progress documents have a minimum of editing and layout or else I lose interest on my own stuff...

'findel

Remove ads