Maybe my expectation was off - Dungeon of the mad mage doesnt use the full maps for undermountain....

StarFyre

Explorer
hi all,

just a comment. when this was announced as having maps for each level for first time, etc. i was expecting the full maps. seeing the maps, and comparing to the old 2e boxed sets, etc, the maps of levels 1-4 (and crystal caverns, etc) are about 1/10 of the actual full map. I know the full map would make this mega dungeon crazy (and more expensive) but i think it would have been a good time for it.

Was this expected/discussed?

Regards,

Sanjay

hi all,

just a comment. when this was announced as having maps for each level for first time, etc. i was expecting the full maps. seeing the maps, and comparing to the old 2e boxed sets, etc, the maps of levels 1-4 (and crystal caverns, etc) are about 1/10 of the actual full map. I know the full map would make this mega dungeon crazy (and more expensive) but i think it would have been a good time for it.

Was this expected/discussed?

Regards,

Sanjay
Not discussed as such, but it was sort of expected, as it would have simply been too huge to handle otherwise. And the adventure allows for adding the other areas back as an option if you wish.

Also remember that it's been over 100 years in game time and two world-wide disasters since the older version, so certain areas may have collapsed and/or had their access cut off. And Halaster might just want to confine access to smaller areas - stocking huge dungeons with monsters must be tiring!

Henry

Autoexreginated
In principle, I love Undermountain, and want to introduce my groups to it in the future.

In practice, I have concerns that mega-dungeons currently will get very tiring quickly, and my groups won't have patience for them. I think this one solves the problem by having different environments via gates and teleports to other areas.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
They've mentioned on various YouTube videos that they decided to leave out certain areas of each level so that individual DMs can extrapolate and create their own stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The info was out there, but you'd certainly have had to deep dive to find it. I mean, I knew, but then my job is to pay attention to that stuff.

practicalm

Explorer
I'm probably going to use as many of the full maps I can (I have some of the older products) and do a big map.

I'm not happy with what was done with the level 1 layout. If there was a group taxing adventures, I cannot see them surviving very long as each adventuring team would tell the next about it. Unless there really isn't going to be that level of cooperation between adventuring groups.

The layout is very linear and some of the creatures some how got past the guards in previous rooms which doesn't make as much sense to me. I think the first level has to have more loops to work well.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
everything I read they mentioned they were going deep, not wide. I got what I expected but maybe not every level was what I expected. I didnt think they were doing every little room. They haven't made giant books like that, and this was already a large book for them.

You have the maps from 2e ... you can combine the two and make more content?

/shrug. Ruins of Undermountain didn't use all of Undermountain either. Most of it was blank rooms that you had to come up with. I'm not 12 anymore, I don't have endless free time. I'm OK with a product that "just" aims to hit the high points. Most groups that start it wont even finish it.

The real question is whether or not they left in the secret room with the ginormous emerald in it. My sister in law has an amusing story with opening the secret door with candles on the altar, and the DM pitching a little fit doubting actually had them written on her character sheet (she did). She's been our party treasurer since then.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
everything I read they mentioned they were going deep, not wide. I got what I expected but maybe not every level was what I expected. I didnt think they were doing every little room. They haven't made giant books like that, and this was already a large book for them.

You have the maps from 2e ... you can combine the two and make more content?

It's already the second biggest book in 5E, after the MM (no Index like the PHB and DMG).

I'm probably going to use as many of the full maps I can (I have some of the older products) and do a big map.

I'm not happy with what was done with the level 1 layout. If there was a group taxing adventures, I cannot see them surviving very long as each adventuring team would tell the next about it. Unless there really isn't going to be that level of cooperation between adventuring groups.

That's assuming said adventuring groups make it back to the Yawning Portal after any substantial exploration. Various encounters and discoveries in various rooms make it clear that not many do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases