D&D 5E What Does the Game Need Now?

Noted D&D blogger Mike "Sly Floursh" Shea recently asked this on Twitter:
D&D is in an amazing state. We have tons of great sourcebooks, adventures, campaign worlds, and monster books. Third-party support for D&D has brought tons of new types of products. Streaming games have created all new fans.What do we think the game need now?
https://twitter.com/SlyFlourish/status/1063808500676075521

What does D&D need next?

We have two campaign settings, one in stores. Three official accessories with monsters. Extra subclasses. Lots of races.
There are a wealth of minis, both random prepainted and non-random unpainted. We have dungeon tiles. There are dice. We have tactical maps, both blank and printed. Lots of adventures, both new and classic. Books for kids, including the newly relaunched Endless Quest.
And that's before getting to the absolute wealth of amazing 3rd Party Products from Green Ronin, Kobold Press, Nord Games, and others.

I imagine the two big requests will be "psionics" and "the artificer". Or the inevitable flayed horse of "a better ranger".
Okay, but what else is left for the game beyond just more? More subclasses. More adventures. More monsters. A big ol' generic more. Aka bloat.

Things like gods have been covered by Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Tome of Foes, limiting the need for a Deities & Demigods. And the updated mechanics of planes are covered quite well in the DMG, so the Manual of the Planes is less necessary.

Why?

When stopping to reply to Sly Flourish, I realized I’m almost “good”. That the edition feels close to complete.

I can think of a couple good options, but a lot of ideas just feels like content for the sake of content. Books because they're expected each year and not because they really fill a gap in the game.

Last edited:

Beyond the "more stuff" (and really, what I want next is more magic items), I can think of:

-A proper D&D 5e videogame
-A good D&D movie (one is supposedly coming, but the good part remains to be seen)

But as far as game content goes, hmm...I think there's a need for a proper full Forgotten Realms setting book. The 3e FR book is, what 17 years old at this point, and for all that there's the SCAG, I still find myself using the older volume.

TigerStripedDog

First Post
IMO we need more Monster Compendiums or Manuals. The folks at Kobold Press have done great work expanding out the Fey, Undead, etc - but I would love to see more Wizards Content.

5ekyu

Hero
I want an official sourcebook that expands castles, towns, cities etc for the magical world including a lot of "practical" considerations for worlds with invisibility, gaseous form, teleports, scry etc.

I want an official sourcebook for expansion of a structure if you will for a lot of the other magics that we kind of handle by plot device and handwave now... rites and ceremonies (aka rituals but not in the chapter 10 way but more the "what the pcs often try and stop" way). This would include say hedge magic, mystic places/nexus, haunted grounds etc.

Obvious these can be TPP as well but official gets more scope as well as more inclusion with future stuff.

Both of these need to cover several settings as they likely vary quite a bit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Really out there stuff, like 5E compatible Gamma World or Star Frontiers, would be nice.

More monsters, more subclasses hard to go wrong with.

More Adventures are always fun.

Mearls has started talking alternative class features in the Happy Fun Hour, that could be a game changer.

Oofta

Legend
I don't use published adventures so I don't need those, although if I did I'd like to see more "exotic" settings other than just pseudo-medieval Europe or slightly-advanced-sort-of-steam-punk western civilization with magic (aka Eberron and from what I understand Ravnica) as [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] mentioned. Maybe a world where all PCs are gnomish paladins?

Since I use my own campaign world, I'd like to see more world building tools like [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION] mentioned. Everything from guidelines to city building, guilds to potential military operations and mass combat. Throw in some castle building guidelines and what kind of NPCs you might need to run the castle (and cost guidelines).

Kind of a broad topic for DMs that want to do things other than churn through BBEGs and to give something for PCs to spend money on. Right now if my PCs want to establish a keep or run the thieves guild I'm just guessing at costs and structures that might be needed.

5ekyu

Hero
Currently for my homebrew I am working up large droves - caravans as in ye olde west wagon trains. Essentially mobile communities with changing members.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
More monsters—there's still a lot of classic monsters just from 1e & BXCMI that need to be updated. It's hard to go wrong with more monsters.

If the adventures are going to stay in the Forgotten Realms, move on to some more exotic locations (like Kara-Tur, Al Quadim, & Maztica).

A book addressing the mechanic options for other settings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases