Has WotC saturated the published adventure market or are the two latest adventures not very popular?

MechaPilot

Explorer
Oh yeah, Dragon Heist, that adventure where you organize and execute a heist to steal a sleeping dragon's hoard.

What? What do you mean that's not what the adventure's about?

Ooh. The coins are called dragons, and you're not so much trying to steal them as you are trying to prevent others from getting them.

So, instead of stealing a sleeping dragon's hoard the adventure titled Dragon Heist is about finding a cache of coins and turning them in to the authorities for a reward. Not so exciting a concept anymore.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So, instead of stealing a sleeping dragon's hoard the adventure titled Dragon Heist is about finding a cache of coins and turning them in to the authorities for a reward. Not so exciting a concept anymore.

A laugh because you pretty much nailed it! :)

Kite474

Explorer
For me there really just havent been any adventures that really have interested me outside of Straud. Dragon Heist was almost this until I learned that its name is very inaccurate.

As for mad mage Im just not a fan of mega dungeons

As for Ravnica I bought that the day of release. Love it to death but considering by love of MTG and the setting (current goal is to build ten commander decks built from the guild leaders) I may not be the best source of unbiased judgement.

collin

Explorer
Oh yeah, Dragon Heist, that adventure where you organize and execute a heist to steal a sleeping dragon's hoard.

What? What do you mean that's not what the adventure's about?

Ooh. The coins are called dragons, and you're not so much trying to steal them as you are trying to prevent others from getting them.

Sadly, you are right about this one. I had very high hopes for this adventure when it was first mentioned, but after giving a thorough read and seeing how it plays, I have to say I am rather disappointed. Why couldn't it have been an urban adventure about the players actually planning and executing a heist (of any kind)? What fun that would be!

MarkB

Legend
I bought the recent Eberron playtest rules, and am currently having a great time running an investigation / pursuit campaign in that setting. Even if I wanted to use material from either of the current adventures, I feel like I'd spend more time stripping out their Forgotten Realms trappings and re-tooling them for Eberron than it would take me to build new plot and encounters from scratch - and it'd still probably feel out of place.

It's a combination of Adventure Fatigue and Official Release Fatigue. There were 4 official books this year (instead of the usual 3), and IMO that is too many. It doesn't help that 3 of those books were released within a short time frame. It's too much too fast.

I think the four books might have contributed. It's a lot of money to ask for in a short period, rather than being more spread out.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm still doing ToA. If I were to do another adventure, the Curse of Strahd and Out of the Abyss both look excellent. Plus, i personally hate the monochrome maps in the new books.

I guess I found the simpler maps to be refreshing. I remember watching a video interview with Chris Perkins about the creative process in Curse of Strahd and he showed some of the maps he drew to give the cartographers direction. I really wanted to get copies of the Perkin's hand-drawn black-ink on graph paper versions.

It probably has to do a lot with your play style. Certainly the Dungeon of the Mad Mage maps are not going to be satisfactory as battlemaps in VTT programs. But for TotM play, I much prefer clean, easily to read and reference maps.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It is an expensive time of the year and don't have many D&D players on my gift list. Also, I'm between jobs, so I've drastically cut back on my gaming purchases. But also, I've already bought adventures I may not run for years and I have even gotten to the point where I'm not even getting around to read them as lonely fun. I'm trying to resist the urge to be a completionist. I am interested in Ravnica, but am holding off until I have more money and more time to at least read through it. I've not even read through the Eberron guide yet.

It doesn't help that I also buy a lot of 3rd party stuff. I'm prepping Rappan Athuk from Frog God Games now and that beast is a 658 page mega dungeon. I also have some non-DnD stuff I want to get to. I have all the stuff for the new edition of Paranoia and have only run the intro adventure.

Remove ads