4E The True Swordmage

The True Swordmage

Swordmage
    For me a swordmage is not a wizard who happens to hold a sword in one hand while using the other for weaving of spells. For me a swordmage is not even a wizard who channels their power through a magic sword like one might use a staff or wand. (while that is perhaps closer) nor one who enchants their weapon.

For me the swordmages weapon and maneuvering and swordplay he does with it is integral to the magic he does. When he casts a spell its not a weaving of words but rather a dancing of their blade cutting runes into reality which bleeds with elemental energy. It's a weapon that when he wields it cuts through dimensional fabric itself teleporting him or even an enemy through a rip he formed. His weapon is core and integrated with many magics he does - he hurls his blade across the battlefield and it shatters becoming a field of biting shards slicing his enemies to shreds til he calls it back to his hand.

For me I was able to see the Swordmage this way in 4e AND for me their magics being their own and not pulled from some universal list everyone had access to I felt was creatively empowering, at least at a flavor level yes it might have been an illusion but isn’t that roleplaying?

This was the first class I managed to play in 4e.

Last edited by Garthanos; Saturday, 8th December, 2018 at 02:26 AM.
    XP doctorbadwolf, MoutonRustique gave XP for this post

So, I think in 5e, a reflavored Hexblade is the closest existing option, using SCAG weapon cantrips instead of the Extra Attack invocation, but it still lacks spells enough spells that use the weapon, and doesn’t have the creative umph of the 4e swordmage.
    XP Garthanos gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by doctorbadwolf View Post
    So, I think in 5e, a reflavored Hexblade is the closest existing option, using SCAG weapon cantrips instead of the Extra Attack invocation, but it still lacks spells enough spells that use the weapon, and doesn’t have the creative umph of the 4e swordmage.
    I will have to investigate that... as the Eldritch Fighter feels like a dabbler for the most part stuck with meh spells.

I get the impression that the 5e team oft lacked empathy/understanding of what for me composed the greatest elements of 4e. I totally like some of their structural choices (even having the Warlord be Battlemaster with the right selection of maneuvers invokes the Tome of Battle classes and wouldn't be horrible if they actualy "GOT" the Warrior Lord and he could be an intellectual Tactician *without having the worst saving throws on the planet" and other mechanical conundrums as well as the rather sparse Warlord behavior. ).

Also SCAG?

Quote Originally Posted by Garthanos View Post
    I will have to investigate that... as the Eldritch Fighter feels like a dabbler for the most part stuck with meh spells.

I get the impression that the 5e team oft lacked empathy/understanding of what for me composed the greatest elements of 4e. I totally like some of their structural choices (even having the Warlord be Battlemaster with the right selection of maneuvers invokes the Tome of Battle classes and wouldn't be horrible if they actualy "GOT" the Warrior Lord and he could be an intellectual Tactician *without having the worst saving throws on the planet" and other mechanical conundrums as well as the rather sparse Warlord behavior. ).

Also SCAG?
    Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. It contains the Bladesinger (the wizarding counter to the Eldritch Knight Fighter), and two new cantrips that are combination of spell and melee Attack. One sends minor fire damage to a nearby target, the other deals 1d8 damage to the target if they move before your next turn.

Hexblade also gets access to a couple of the Paladin’s “X Smite” spells, helping you get that “magic and weapon skill are combined in one discipline” feel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply