Rate the Star Wars Movies

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There are parts of TLJ that I enjoyed, and I tried really hard to enjoy it. But unlike TFA, it didn't take me along for a ride. There were a lot of elements that just didn't work. Some hokey acting at the start, some misplaced humor that felt not in line with the tone of the rest of a scene, and some twists that weren't really twists, but the afore mentioned 'yaking of chains'. Occasionally I was into it. The opening bombing scene was pretty good, and I loved the big fight with Rey and Kylo Ren versus Snoke's guards. I could even get onboard with some of the interesting stuff they did in regards to Rey's visions, the way she connected with Kylo Ren. I thought that was really well done. It wasn't until the revelation in regards to Rey's parents, that I felt really disappointed. There was so much they could have done with that, and they just really dropped the ball. The odd thing is, that it felt like the director thought he was really smart with that 'twist'. It's not. It's dumb and disappointing.

We're going to have to agree to vehemently disagree on that point. Rey's ancestry being nobodies was a fantastic choice and I hope Abrams doesn't track back on it. It's about time one of the Force-using protagonists embodies the return of the Force to being the birthright of anybody and not just a Skywalker.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I found TLJ's plot predictable, such as once in the cave, there would be another way out, or when brought before Snoke, Snoke was going to die. He sort of died too easily, imo, and I wondered why the guards fought instead of running away? Generally, the script felt flat; the actors did fine, and the special effects were good.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
So, informally, just about everyone I know that dislikes this movie has been a fan of the pre-Disney EU. I wasn't, and I like TLJ. I wonder how widespread this is, given that the movie was pretty well received outside of a smallish and loud core of die-hard SW fandom.

I'm not part of that audience either and I'm okish with TLJ -enjoyed some of it, but not enough to want to get a copy at full price-. I know a lot about the old extended universe from second hand though -like about Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, and someone dropping a moon on poor Chowie-. Perhaps I sit more in the middle of this, I can see what bothers many of them, but most of it doesn't bother me, or doesn't bother me anymore.

I wouldn't dismiss the die-hards, either on size or relevance. It doesn't matter their actual size, they are the ones keeping the brand healthy. They proselytize, they camp to watch the movies on opening night and watch them multiple times, they do fanfilms, they buy the SWAG... their impact on the fandom cannot be understated.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not part of that audience either and I'm okish with TLJ -enjoyed some of it, but not enough to want to get a copy at full price-. I know a lot about the old extended universe from second hand though -like about Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, and someone dropping a moon on poor Chowie-. Perhaps I sit more in the middle of this, I can see what bothers many of them, but most of it doesn't bother me, or doesn't bother me anymore.

I wouldn't dismiss the die-hards, either on size or relevance. It doesn't matter their actual size, they are the ones keeping the brand healthy. They proselytize, they camp to watch the movies on opening night and watch them multiple times, they do fanfilms, they buy the SWAG... their impact on the fandom cannot be understated.

The die hards also brought Star Wars back. Heir to the Empire brought Star Wars back, it was basically dead in 1991 the only IP being made was the D6 RPG. The last Star Wars stuff stopped in 87 IIRC (except the RPG). TLJ made a lot less than TFA at the theatre (to be far expectations were lower), Solo bombed, Rogue One over performed on expectations (being a spin off and all). I only went to see TLJ twice (TFA 4 times), my friends generally saw TFA twice, TLJ once.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The die hards also brought Star Wars back. Heir to the Empire brought Star Wars back, it was basically dead in 1991 the only IP being made was the D6 RPG. The last Star Wars stuff stopped in 87 IIRC (except the RPG). TLJ made a lot less than TFA at the theatre (to be far expectations were lower), Solo bombed, Rogue One over performed on expectations (being a spin off and all). I only went to see TLJ twice (TFA 4 times), my friends generally saw TFA twice, TLJ once.

Brought it back? From what? Lucrative home video sales?

We're going to have to agree to vehemently disagree on that point. Rey's ancestry being nobodies was a fantastic choice and I hope Abrams doesn't track back on it. It's about time one of the Force-using protagonists embodies the return of the Force to being the birthright of anybody and not just a Skywalker.

I think either choice is... overrated. Sure, Skywalker is the Chosen and what not. But so what - countless of Jedi before him were not "Chosen", they just had the gift. Obi Wan or Yoda or Palpatine didn't come from a long line of powerful force users. They were their own.

Rey is special because she has force powers. Whether this comes from a unique lineage or just because she is one of the lucky randoms to get force powers doesn't really matter.

The only interesting thnig would now be someone that wasn't gifted with force powers but found a way to gain access to him due training or something like that.

Sure, there is still some twist in that we expected it was to be something big. But, another aspect: Just because her parents weren't special in some supernatural way doesn't mean they were not special to her. Maybe they didn't deserve any respect from Rey or the audience, but if so, then not because they weren't force users or linked to important characters, but just because they were bad parents.

Honestly, I think the views of this thread say more about how old we are here at ENWorld.

Here's the thing: younger Star Wars fans like the prequels. That was sometimes their introduction to the franchise and they have fond memories of those movies. The original trilogy can be cheesy at times, with weak special effects and really slow action scenes. A New Hope is really slow in the middle and the "fight" between Vader and Obi-Wan is kinda sad to watch. It may have been Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones that made them fall in love with Star Wars. Being more familiar with The Clone Wars they may be more attached to Anakin than Luke.
After twenty years, there's a lot of growing affection for the prequels.

Zardnaar

Legend
Honestly, I think the views of this thread say more about how old we are here at ENWorld.

Here's the thing: younger Star Wars fans like the prequels. That was sometimes their introduction to the franchise and they have fond memories of those movies. The original trilogy can be cheesy at times, with weak special effects and really slow action scenes. A New Hope is really slow in the middle and the "fight" between Vader and Obi-Wan is kinda sad to watch. It may have been Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones that made them fall in love with Star Wars. Being more familiar with The Clone Wars they may be more attached to Anakin than Luke.
After twenty years, there's a lot of growing affection for the prequels.

Slow combat scenes aren't that bad, I prefer them over Yoda in AoTC (his dual vs Palpatine was better). Sometimes less is more (or show some restraint).

Remove ads