Review Dragon Heist, Mad Mage, and Ravnica!

Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!
Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!

reviews.jpg

Other recent notable books awaiting ratings include Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition, Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory Core Rules, and Masks of Nyarlathotep.

The system averages ratings to create an overall trending total once a book has 10 or more reviews.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I didn't know Googling "Dragon Heist review" was "mysterious," but here is a sampling, examples are easily multiplied with a search:

"D&D’s latest adventure is state of the art tabletop design" at Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/11/17845902/dungeons-and-dragons-waterdeep-dragon-heist-review

"Review: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist Is an Amazing Introduction to 'Dungeons & Dragons'" at comicbook.com: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/12/dungeons-and-dragons-waterdeep-dragon-heist-review/

I found Comicbook.com’s review to be much more helpful than Polygon’s which seemed more a repackaging of the press release...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I found Comicbook.com’s review to be much more helpful than Polygon’s which seemed more a repackaging of the press release...

*shrug* as I said, a random selection. The reviews I have seen have been mainly very positive, and they match my reading if the book.

Hussar

Legend
Can't remember who said it but, it still holds very true: The tendency of consumers to conflate personal tastes with objective quality is nearly universal.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I see snark, but none of the mysterious websites you mentioned earlier.

Lol, now I see someone's technique of trying to get the last word by responding to a post and then putting them on ignore.

Its a bit pathetic really. Especially since the ignore seems temporary as the technique was used more than a few times :lol:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Can't remember who said it but, it still holds very true: The tendency of consumers to conflate personal tastes with objective quality is nearly universal.

I agree. Ravnica's campaign guide is objectivaly bad for a campaign setting, but you know D&D is good. It reminds me of how people defended the quality fo 4e products and we all know how that ended.

Hussar

Legend
I agree. Ravnica's campaign guide is objectivaly bad for a campaign setting, but you know D&D is good. It reminds me of how people defended the quality fo 4e products and we all know how that ended.

Case in point. :D

Thank you for being willing to be such a clear demonstration [MENTION=55961]Kramodlog[/MENTION]. It does make it much easier.

Out of the 3 books mentioned so far I've picked up Dragon Heist and Ravnica.

I had the 2E Undermountain box and it never really saw much play. Although from what I've seen (and read on the forum here) I think Mad Mage might be more useful to me. I've skipped buying about half of the 5e adventure books, usually ones I played in, or hoped to one day play in *cough* Curse of Strahd *cough*
If I ever decide to run Dragon Heist I will pick up Mad Mage.

I liked Dragon Heist, but like the other hard cover adventures I've picked up I'm probably not going to get much use out of it, other than a good read. I did like the info on Waterdeep, and the way the adventure is set up is really interesting. I tend to avoid big cities as a DM, so I thought this would be a good resource if I wanted to rectify that.

Which brings us to Ravnica. I thought my aversion to large cities would mean this was going be another book to read not play. Not knowing anything about Magic the Gathering I was interested to explore a brand new setting/world. I have to say, I was really surprised and impressed with the book. It's like a box of ideas to play with, which I find inspiring. It's a jumping off point to make your own version of Ravnica. At times I felt like there's a lot missing, and that I had more questions than answers in some ways, at least in terms of how the planet sized city works. Although some of those initial concerns I did find answers to after a more extensive read.

It's helped that I was a big Planescape fan, and I can see a lot of crossover. I'm even thinking of converting 'The Eternal Boundary' by changing the Dustmen to Golgari Swarm.

Anyway, that's some thoughts on the current releases.
I'm definitely interested in how the Magic / D&D cross over experiment goes, it's probably my favourite book since Volos, so I'm keen to see what's next.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
i want new settings. but ravnica just held little interest for me. if i want to play a vampire i want to play a classic undead vampire. what ravnica calls a vampire just does not work for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads