Homebrew TUW: Out of the Maelstrom - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,620

    Vadin Awakens

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider629 View Post
    Vadin slowly awakens.... He sits up ... rubs his eyes trying to gain clarity in his sight... looks around again and says "It seems we are on a boat, I imagine they are not taking us to a tropical beach. What have I missed?"
    GM: Vadin sees that the others are up and about, having apparently awakened before him. There is a stranger, a frail, aged Norikadian, with them that is currently conversing with Tor. It makes sense to Vadin since Tor is part Norikadian.

    The ship appears to be of a good and sturdy construction, which is interesting considering that Asylim is in a desert and the wood would have to be imported. The hold looks quite secure and the grate that covers the opening, above, would be out of reach, even for Tor.

    Sheldon responds, "We have apparently been at sail for two days. We are, indeed, bound for the Maelstrom. We have another day before we reach our destination."
    XP Tellerian Hawke, Kwargrow gave XP for this post

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,620

    Day 305: In the Hold

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwargrow View Post
    San-Bolo share a look at the exchange between Tor and his father, but they remain silent so as not to disturb this emotional reunion. They keep their minds on the task at hand, escaping this hold. The most obvious answer to reach the grate above their heads is to stack the crates. They intend to enlist the help of the other Seekers to arrange the crates as quietly as they can. Bolo will manipulate Way to try and determine if there are any people outside the hold.
    GM: Bolo decides it would be best to divine the presence of other people before beginning the mundane task of moving the heavy crates. Her range is currently extended to 35 paces in all directions, which is larger than the ship. She is able to almost instantly determine that their are 19 people aboard the ship, other than those within the hold that she can see. Not everyone is above. Some must be in other below deck compartments.

    With the only exit being the grate above, it is a fairly simple matter to move and stack the crates to be able to reach it. The movement of the ship is used to mask the sound of the movement.

    OOC: The previous divination tasks is simply a descriptive use of Konokoro. With her rank of 1 in Divination, Bolo is able to combine her Adhesion and Cohesion abilities to perform the task.

    Purchasing Power
    OOC:
    Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
    60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
    10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
    50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
    50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
    76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
    20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds

    Current Party Holdings
    OOC:
    2 Windrunner Stallions
    8 Windrunner Mares
    2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
    4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
    4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
    2 Harnin Mining Mauls
    2 Harnin Mining Spikes
    2 Harnin Pick Axes
    drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
    parchment containing known message

    Current Inventory
    OOC: Animal:

    • Anhinga Talisman: 1 (++ Cohesion)
    • Calling Bird Feet: 1 pair {+ Will}
    • Calling Bird Tail Feathers: 5 (1 item) {+ Will}
    • Chicken Feet: 2 pair {+ Confluence}
    • Chicken Tail Feathers: 3 (1 item) {+ Confluence}
    • Duck Tail Feathers: 3 (1 item) (+ Cohesion)
    • Duck Feet: 1 pair (+ Cohesion)
    • Flycatcher Talisman: 3 (+ Motility)
    • Gallinule Talisman: 1 (++ Confluence)
    • Harvester Feet: 1 pair (+ Health)
    • Harvester Tail Feathers: 5 (1 item) {+ Health}
    • Hawk Tail Feathers: 3 (1 item) {+ Strength}
    • Hawk Feet: 2 pair (+ Strength)
    • Huge Beetle Elytrum: 21 pairs
    • Mink Skulls: 4 (+ Adhesion)
    • Songbird Tail Feathers: 5 (1 item) {+ Persona}
    • Songbird Feet: 1 pair (+ Persona)
    • Tapir Hides: 9 (262% cover)
    • Volantin Skins: 6 (360% cover)
    • Volantin Venom Glands: 2 (- Persona x3)
    • Volantin Talons: 120 (++ Motility)
    • Vulture Talisman: 1 (+ Adhesion)


    Metal:

    • Zinc Ingots: 14 (+ Health) {Mend x2}
    • Tin Ingots: 109 (+ Persona) {Muddle x2, - Persona x2}
    • Lead: 2 {Rend x2, -Health x2}
    • Iron Ingots: 37 (+ Confluence) {Mend x2}
    • Iron Bricks: 10
    • Aluminum Ingots: 7 (+ Motility) {Thump x2}
    • Chromium Ingots: 10 (+ Strength) {Rejuvenate x2}
    • Magnesium: 2 (+ Will) {Soothe x2, Mend x2, +Health x2}
    • Copper: 2 (+ Persona) {-Persona x2, Shock x2}
    • Molybdenum: 9 (+ Motility)
    • Palladium: 2 {sound x3}
    • Silver: 1 (+Will) {-Will x3}


    Plant:

    • Muddle Leaf: 1 {Muddle x2}
    • Soothe Leaf: 2 (Soothe x2)
    • Rend Leaf: 1 {Rend x2}
    • Mend Leaf: 1 (Mend x2)
    • Muddle Flower: 1 {Muddle x3}
    • Soothe Flower: 1 {Soothe x3}
    • Leaves of Harmony: 1 (Harmony x2)


    Stone:

    • Slate: 15 (Thump x2)
    • Bloodstone: 4 (+ Health) {Mend x2}
    • Sunstone: 1 (+ Persona) {Charm x2}
    • Heartstone: 3 (+ Confluence) {Mend x2}
    • Carbone Bricks: 34 (Heat x2)
    • Lodestone: 1: {Thump x2}
    • Slickstone: 1: {Cool x2}
    • Livestone: 2 (+ Strength) {Restoration x2}
    • Milkstone: 1 (+ Will) {Harmony x2}
    • Emberstone: 1 (+ Cohesion) {Charm x2}
    • Soft Brimstone Brick: 1: {heat x3}
    • Waterstone: 1 (+Motility)
    • Nightstone: 1 (+Adhesion) {darken x3}
    • Ruddystone: 1 (+Health)
    • Pietrazulfo Brick: 1 (Acidify x4, Heat x4)

    .

    Unknown Items
    OOC: Bird Skull (Heron): 1

    Party Discoveries
    OOC:
    Hidden Valley in the Western Jungle
    Secluded Lake in Western Jungle with Mysterious Island
    Last edited by MacConnell; Monday, 10th December, 2018 at 08:48 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke, Kwargrow gave XP for this post

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,620

    Tor and His Father

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    Tor cannot believe his eyes! “Father.” he whispers, excitedly. ”They told me that you were dead, no doubt to goad me and the other Seekers into rash action, in order to trap us. Is your collar cursed?...
    Name:  Eric.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  7.9 KB

    Bulywif Ericsson rubs his right eye while holding his left in a gesture of halt. "Slow down, son! One question at a time. That first one will take some time."

    He takes a deep breath and coughs, not from any specific illness but malnutrition. "Seekers? Oh, I guess that is what you all are calling yourselves. You all have changed much. I did not recognize the rest of you, but I think my eyesight is failing, too."

    "It was a matter of chance that I am still alive, though I have had many days to wish otherwise stuck on this ship. Had had been drinking that watered swill they make from the Centrin Ale and needed to unload some of it. The tavern was indeed a bit rowdy that night. While I was relieving myself in the alley an explosion shook the tavern from inside. I was knocked from my feet."

    "The same chance that spared my life also imprisoned it. Ansylin regulars were on the scene pretty quickly. There I was laying in the alley, exposed. I was arrested and taken to face the Magister who owned the tavern. That sniveling goat slipper who owned our caravan was there whispering with him along with some other Amiradthan. Next thing I know I was accused of the destruction of the tavern and remanded to a life of labor upon this ship. Sometimes I think I should just pull off this collar."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    Is your collar cursed? Can it be removed without harm??
    "I was told that if I were to remove this collar, it would kill me. I have seen another on this ship do that very thing. I have no reason to doubt it."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    "I must get you away from this place! Is mother alive? Is she here?
    "Your mother is gone, along with everyone else who was with us in that tavern."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    "Tell me about the size and strength of the crew; it might be necessary to kill them all!”
    "Hmm. The captain, his first mate, the quartermaster, and the master-at-arms are all soldiers, so is the chief cook, for that matter. There are five other soldiers on board at all times, as well. There are ten other crew, counting me. Only three of us are collared. The five officers have stayed the same since I have been aboard. The other soldiers are periodically changed out."

    He makes a squeaking noise to get the others' attention. "That grate is very heavy. They use ropes and pulleys to lift it. That Ansylin must be Sannit. You my son, and Sannit, there, could probably climb up there and throw it off, but the soldiers are all armed. Be prepared for that. They also have your weapons. The captain said it should be part of his pay for his crew. They would probably like to have had your armor too, if they could have removed it without having to cut it loose. It is impossible to remove such armor, intact, from an unconscious person."
    Last edited by MacConnell; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,355
    Merin nods at Bolo, "19 of them? So be it. I doubt more than half of that number actually know how to fight. Most of them are probably simple sailors, who will follow the orders of anyone who asserts himself into the position of command."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulywif
    "The five officers have stayed... other soldiers are periodically changed out."
    Tor nods, "I'd be willing to bet that the officers are all above-deck, running the ship, along with the actual sailors. And I'd bet Clams-To-Pine-Vine that the enlisted soldiers are below-deck somewhere, either on guard duty, or assigned to other tasks. We should find those soldiers first, overpower them, and arm ourselves. I suspect that the officers will put up the greatest resistance. We should not face them unarmed. The only way out seems to be up through the hatch, so let's start there. We need to get above-board, then back below-deck, without being spotted. Worst case, we fight unarmed if we are discovered, and disarm people / arm ourselves as we go."

    OOC: My contribution to the TUW vernacular: "Clams-To-Pine-Vine" = Dollars-To-Donuts.


    Merin asks Bolo, "Can you sense which ones are which? Is there any way to tell the difference between soldier and sailor, using your sensitivity?"
    Last edited by MacConnell; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  5. #15
    Sannit says, "If Bulywif thinks we can lift the grate with our combined strength, then we surely should be able to after we augment ourselves. I think we should make a push for the captain and take over the ship by taking him down. If we do it with enough style we should be able to recruit any other soldiers to our cause. They might be ready to change from Asylim to Southroad Fair, like the guards with the silk collectors, and we might need extra help in the war with Asylim. We should probably do first things first and get your father's collar off him. Didn't we decipher that secret already?" Sannit will use what ability he has to aid in removing Eric's collar.

    At the appropriate time Bolo will increase Sannit's strength before they lift the grate.
    Last edited by MacConnell; Yesterday at 06:20 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke, MacConnell gave XP for this post

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,355
    Tor smiles at Sannit, "The direct approach. Sounds risky. I like it!"

    Merin scoffs, but is obviously in agreement, "Okay... Ready."
    Last edited by MacConnell; Yesterday at 06:21 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,620

    Merin and Tor

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    Merin nods at Bolo, "19 of them? So be it. I doubt more than half of that number actually know how to fight. Most of them are probably simple sailors, who will follow the orders of anyone who asserts himself into the position of command."
    Bulywif gestures at Merin and speaks in Centrin even though Merin spoke in Ansylin. "Slow down there, nephew. Five officers. Five soldiers. Ten prisoners, including me, but not counting all of you."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke
    Tor nods, "I'd be willing to bet that the officers are all above-deck, running the ship, along with the actual sailors. And I'd bet Clams-To-Pine-Vine that the enlisted soldiers are below-deck somewhere, either on guard duty, or assigned to other tasks...
    Bulywif interrupts his son. "The cook will be below deck, along with the mess hands. The captain and quartermaster will be at the helm. The master-at-arms and first mate will walk the deck with the other soldiers, making sure all the prisoners are at their assigned tasks. I am the oldest prisoner, which is probably why I was put in here to watch you all."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tor
    ... "I suspect that the officers will put up the greatest resistance. We should not face them unarmed. The only way out seems to be up through the hatch, so let us start there. We need to get above, then back below-deck, without being spotted. Worst case, we fight unarmed if we are discovered, and disarm people, arming ourselves as we go."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke
    OOC: My contribution to the TUW vernacular: "Clams-To-Pine-Vine" = Dollars-To-Donuts.
    GM:
    OOC: Gamers are pretty bright. I am sure we all got it, immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke
    Merin asks Bolo, "Can you sense which ones are which? Is there any way to tell the difference between soldier and sailor, using your sensitivity?"
    Even though Merin asked Bolo, Sheldon offers an answer. He speaks in Ansylin, as is more comfortable with the other Seekers. "We can. I can. Sort of. I was already doing that. We may have had the same idea. Just based on the health of the people present, I would guess that one prisoner is aloft. Three are below deck with one officer, that would be the cook, as Tor's father mentioned. The other prisoners seem to be fairly stationary at various places on the deck. The other soldiers are pacing."
    Last edited by MacConnell; Yesterday at 06:43 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,620

    Preparing to Exit the Hatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwargrow View Post
    Sannit says, "If Bulywif thinks we can lift the grate with our combined strength, then we surely should be able to after we augment ourselves. I think we should make a push for the captain and take over the ship by taking him down. If we do it with enough style we should be able to recruit any other soldiers to our cause. They might be ready to change from Asylim to Southroad Fair, like the guards with the silk collectors, and we might need extra help in the war with Asylim."
    Sheldon adds an unexpected option. "I see no reason that we cannot pull out all the stops way out here on the ocean. I have been analyzing everyone on this ship since I have awakened. I think I can remove the captain from play before you even try to lift the grate. I will have to guess if it is the captain, but it stands to reason that the most stationary person at that location will be the quartermaster, who should be at the helm."

    Quote Originally Posted by Sannit
    "We should probably do first things first and get your father's collar off him. Didn't we decipher that secret already?" Sannit will use what ability he has to aid in removing Bulywif's collar.
    "Hold up!" Sheldon moves to place a hand on Sannit's arm. "I am a little stronger in that particular talent than you are, but that sheep slipper, Saucy was beyond me. If we try to remove the collars, now, there is still a risk that it will kill the wearer and harm us. Unfortunately, it would be more wise at this point to leave it, until one of us can be sure there is no risk. Once freed of the obligation of this prison ship, the collar is of moot consequence, other than its chafing location."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwargrow
    At the appropriate time Bolo will increase Sannit's strength before they lift the grate.
    GM: Tor's father would have no ability or perspective to gauge the elevated strength of Sannit or Tor, even without the augmentation of Way lines. Climbing the pyramid of crates, Sannit tests the grate and realizes that, augmented as he is, he will be able to throw the grate aside all by himself.

    Indigo crouches down on the tier below Sannit, wanting to leap into the open as quickly as possible once the grate is removed. She, of course, wishes that she had her swords, but is more than confident in her ability to take weapons from whoever she first encounters.
    XP Kwargrow, Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  9. #19
    Using her sensing ability Bolo will make sure there is no one close to the grate and the signal Sannit to move it to have a surprise element.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Maelstrom or Stormwrack?
    By Zander in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Tuesday, 10th May, 2005, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •