Sentient Weapon Question

Sentient Weapon Question

Ok, I hope this makes sense as I explain. One of the characters in my group of adventurers found himself in the possession of a sentient longsword. Well, I use the term "sentient" loosely, being that the sword is actually a pixie that can assume the form of said longsword, placed upon her from a curse.

Alright here's the question part where it might get weird. If the Pixie were to die, would she die a pixie, or assume the shape of the sword, maybe a broken sword? I know it's more of a DM call, but I thought I'd toss it out there and get some creative answers from the rest of the community.

How would you handle it?

That may depend on the stipulations of the curse placed upon her.

However, if it was sufficiently vague, I would rule she would die in the form she had assumed at the time of death.

So if she dies in pixie form, you get a pixie body.
    If she dies as a sword, then you get either a plain sword, or sure, maybe a broken sword.

OR! Whatever you feel may be cool. Maybe pixies in your world die in an explosion of glittery lights and energy, so that she as a sword suddenly covers the wielder in glitter and sparkles. A very... odd fashion for gore and carnage.
    XP MichaelArkAngel gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Istbor View Post
    OR! Whatever you feel may be cool. Maybe pixies in your world die in an explosion of glittery lights and energy, so that she as a sword suddenly covers the wielder in glitter and sparkles. A very... odd fashion for gore and carnage.
    If it's an XP fairy, it pops with a glittery explosion and everyone levels up.

- I'd say that she reverts to her 'true form' because, once she's dead, the curse is broken.

On the other hand, maybe after she dies, if her wielder was really kind to her, her personality haunts one of the character's weapons, becoming a standard Intelligent Weapon....it would be cool to resolve the curse in a neat way where the PCs decisions help or hinder them.

Edit: I realize that the XP fairy might be an inside joke...but they live inside all types of creatures and when Adventurers kill those creatures, the fairies, like tiny fire-flies, emerge. If you're quick, you can pop them and enjoy their candy-flavoured xp goodness!
    Last edited by TaranTheWanderer; Friday, 7th December, 2018 at 04:49 PM.

If it was an ability or spell, I would go with reverts to original form, but for a curse, it might be crueler to keep the assumed form. I do like the shower of sparkles, and I might ease the PC's loss by having the ghost of the pixie possess some other weapon, with something like "I can't rest until the son of a troll who cursed me is dead."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelArkAngel View Post
    Ok, I hope this makes sense as I explain. One of the characters in my group of adventurers found himself in the possession of a sentient longsword. Well, I use the term "sentient" loosely, being that the sword is actually a pixie that can assume the form of said longsword, placed upon her from a curse.

Alright here's the question part where it might get weird. If the Pixie were to die, would she die a pixie, or assume the shape of the sword, maybe a broken sword? I know it's more of a DM call, but I thought I'd toss it out there and get some creative answers from the rest of the community.

How would you handle it?
    It's a judgment call, but thematically, I think it would be cooler if, when the pixie died, she solidify in the form of a sword, one with a fixation on whatever killed her.-

You could even add a +1 and extra d6 of damage - but only to the race/species/type etc. that killed her.

Well, either way, a pixie dies, so that's good.

I would say as a pixie. So you can enjoy seeing a dead pixie.
    XP MichaelArkAngel gave XP for this post

Some great answers my friends! XP for Everyone!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply