Ridding D&D of All Races - Multiple Choice Poll

What races should we get rid of, for REASONS? (May choose more than one)

• Dragonborn

Votes: 67 40.4%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Elf

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Human

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 60 36.1%
  • Monstrous Races (Orc, Goblin, etc.)

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Any optional race not listed above

Votes: 47 28.3%
  • Other - I will explain in the comments

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • I like the exact number of races we have.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • We shouldn't eliminate races- WE SHOULD ADD MORE!

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • Are we not men? WE ARE DEVO!

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Poll closed .

Yaarel

He Mage
Remove the design space of ‘race’, entirely.

So it is more like creating a superhero character, where the ‘race’ is only one of many explanations for where the power comes from.

Build your character by selecting ability score improvements, feats, and traits. The default is human, but you and the DM decide whatever it is.

I know this will never happen, but I'm on my lunch break with nothing better to do.

First, I would like to see all races - except possibly human - eliminated as "core" races. Then, I would like to see the number of optional races (all of them) presented in the PHB increased. DMs who prefer to homebrew their world would then be instructed to select a handful of player races when designing their world, while each published campaign setting would detail which of the race presented in the PHB are appropriate for player characters in that realm.

My last 5 character choices wouldn't be too popular around here:
Tiefling
Dragonborn
Kenku
Gnome
Tiefling

:)
I like Tieflings, maybe it's just that they remind me of Planescape?

Coroc

Hero
For vanilla drow dragonborn tiefling and halforc should be excluded. These monstrous races do not make much sense in a standard fantasy world. Therefore I voted other.

But it is all about context. So nothing should be of limits, but also nothing should be of limits to be restricted!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Get rid of Humans. Plenty of them in real life, and I want my escapism to ESCAPE! :D

Hell no! If my escapism escaped I wouldn't be able to engage in my regular escape from the drudge of reality. I want my escapism to be tightly bound and waiting for me every Thursday and the occasional Saturday.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
For a serious answer... None of the races should be removed from D&D. Use the ones that make sense for your campaign/setting and ignore the others. What limits or inclusions work for you doesn't necessarily work for others. D&D needs to cater to a wide range of tastes and playstyles, so limiting the game doesn't make sense.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
But the fact you think that anyone who disagrees with you is disinterested in world building is amusing in a cringey sorta way.

Also in addition to giants there are orcs, goblins, as well as dwarves -- all of which are playable. Even goliaths do not live on the peaks.

Actually it is the reverse. You seem to put a lot of things into my posts that I never stated or implied.

At this point I really don't know what your point is since you have thrown in so many non-sequiturs.

PC races are like Halloween costumes, dress yourself the way you want, other can wear different others.

In the right creator's hands even a gnome may become a charismatic character like Tirion Lannister.

Maybe there is not enough space for all sentient species but the crystal spheres could allow lots of demiplanes.

jasper

Rotten DM
Elf and half elf. How many varieties of elf are there? Heinz 57 company has less flavors. Baskin-Robbins 36 Ice flavors bow down in the varieties of elves. Hell they call themselves Vulcans and sneaking onto starships now! They hog movie screen time and force directors to come up with more reasons their minor character should have movie screen time. Hell Will Ferrell could be one.
Tiefling pretty please can I play a demon. Um I mean a fiend. I wouldn't use all the demon abilities. Many cases of beer layer. Yes you can play one.
Dragonborn. See Tielfing but swap out demon with dragon.

Remove ads