Ridding D&D of All Races - Multiple Choice Poll

What races should we get rid of, for REASONS? (May choose more than one)

• Dragonborn

Votes: 67 40.4%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Elf

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Human

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 60 36.1%
  • Monstrous Races (Orc, Goblin, etc.)

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Any optional race not listed above

Votes: 47 28.3%
  • Other - I will explain in the comments

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • I like the exact number of races we have.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • We shouldn't eliminate races- WE SHOULD ADD MORE!

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • Are we not men? WE ARE DEVO!

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Poll closed .

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I have to say, I like your views on Gnomes.

I am fine without Gnomes, and I could probably live in a world without Halflings too. I just feel like... the world isn't big enough for so many small races. They all start to feel the same to me.

I also may or may not have had a traumatic experience with a Gnome Cleric and a Deck of Many Things when I was younger. >.>

The players at our tables delight in all the choices (although my 12 yo son mocked my choice of Sea Elf for the character I am hoping to play when he DMs for the 1st time).

As a DM*, no race choice of the players is preferred. I show goodwill towards most of the race choices of the players as long as that choice is from one of the official WotC books (PHB, VGtM, EEPC, MToF). I tend to view Monstrous races neutrally but that can shift to tolerance if an intriguing backstory is involved. I view the Lucky trait of Halflings with antipathy - might ban/modify that next time around. For the campaigns I run, my view on homebrew races is hatred. That's a strong word, but I've been burnt and it is part of the table...

*See Racial Preferences Table, page 18 of the 1e PHB

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not a fan of dragonborn or tieflings, but they've been core for a long time, so I didn't vote them out. However, I did vote monstrous races, and all the "half" races (despite them being core for a long long time). Why? Because if you have half orc and half elf, then by extension you should have half everything else. Half halflings? half gnomes? Half dwarves? You've either set the precedence that humans can breed with any other humanoid, or you don't. I choose, "you don't".

Monstrous races have always been a one off exception, and should stay so.

Advilaar

Explorer
All these races were included because they are the legacy of DnD. Even if some are disliked there are other that do. Even tieflings or gnomes which seem to be the usual suspects when this comes up.

EXCEPTION IS THE KENDER. (aka: lets swap inventory sheets and opposed perception/ sleight of hand rolls for a few hours) THEY MUST BE EXTERMINATED AT ALL COST AND NEVER BE ALLOWED and yes, it needs all caps :D

That said, if you want to run a human only campaign, you can if you are willing to draw the story, NPCs , and world up. Or if your world has no Gnomes and Halflings, so be it.

I think that freedom should be there but with the default DnD choices and archetypes for those that just want to dive in without having to reinvent stuff with the latest module or what have you.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Throw out all the races. Like Pathfinder 2 will.

Just don't draw a haphazard line between what you can and can't play:

"You can play a warforged, but you can't play a shield guardian.

You can play a dragonborn, but you can't play a lizard man. Or a half-dragon.

You can play a tiefling, but you can't play a succubus, marilith, glabrezu, balor, dretch..."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
In the 3.5 era I drew a line at anything with a level adjustment, but even then I just tried to tone it down enough that it could get by without one (I did have a half-ogre PC once).

At this point, the only thing I ask of my players is that they make characters that have a reason to be taking part in the adventure/campaign. If the response to any major hook was "but my character wouldn't do that" that would be a sign, to me, that the player needs a new character. As long as they're game for what we're doing and not being disruptive about it I can do a lot to make things work.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm not a fan of the monstrous races (orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc nearly all the stuff in volos, all the crap you always see someone trying to make a PC out of - vampires, lycanthropes, etc etc etc), drow, & durerar as PC options. My view is that monsters are what your fighting against, looting, & getting your xp from.
If you have an idea for one of these? Sure, ask me. But be aware that I'm almost certain to say no. Because I don't run games where those would generally fit as options.

I could also easily live without dragonborn, tieflings, warforged, genesai, shifters, traditionally non-evil "monstrous" races (tritons etc). Again, ask. You're odds are better than the previous category though....

Humans, elves, dwarves, 1/2lings, gnomes, 1/2elves, & 1/2orcs - no problem, though depending upon where on the map the campaigns occurring some of those are more/less common. So take that into account. For ex; In the upcoming campaign true elves have largely abandoned the region several hundred years ago.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases