There is a lot of stuff out for D&D right now, and sales are doing fine (Amazon) - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
    Because, once us hoi polloi like it, it is no longer cool or high quality. Luckily there is a very long tail of high-concept TTRPGs for the hipster dogs to chase.
    What's so crazy is that they had no idea: WotC obviously has access to a large amount of miniatures, and convention players do too, so it wasn't necessarily so clear that most people don't play games with them, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    What's so crazy is that they had no idea: WotC obviously has access to a large amount of miniatures, and convention players do too, so it wasn't necessarily so clear that most people don't play games with them, for instance.
    When I wanted to get back into gaming, I was really put off by the need for miniatures. Watching Chris Perkins's videos helped and hurt. I loved the videos where he explains his thinking and gives tops on running the game, but his elaborate, pre-drawn maps seemed far beyond me. I bought into the impression many people had that 4e was heavily focused on tactical miniature combats and tried to make it run more like a video game, which didn't appeal to me. So, I never gave it a chance. A friend suggested Pathfinder and when I looked into it, it just seemed overwhelming. Maybe it would be fun to play, but I could never see running it.

I chalked it up to my having a lot more time for gaming in high school and stuck to board games.

Then 5e came out. It still felt substantial and I had to spend time with it, but I love the entire feel, from the quality of the art and writing, to mechanics that struck a nice balance between tactical and more free-wheeling role play. It made theater of the mind seem possible and fun and then watching Chris Perkins running some of his streaming games which used no VTT or battlemaps of any time was refreshing.

Of course now more than four years in, I have shelves bursting with terrain and minis, because, hell, they are fun and I do like tactical play. But 5e made the barrier to entry feel much more reasonable.
    XP Parmandur, Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

Interesting that the DMG sells better than the Monster Manual. I would have expected the MM to be the second-highest seller.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoungr View Post
    Interesting that the DMG sells better than the Monster Manual. I would have expected the MM to be the second-highest seller.
    These are not all time numbers, but rather at the moment sales. Maybe the historical society even out more?

Quick Reply Quick Reply